No announcement yet.

Brother says Muhammad Ali's health is deteriorating

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brother says Muhammad Ali's health is deteriorating

Muhammad Ali, the man once as famous for his sharp tongue as he was for his ferocious fists, now has difficulty speaking due to his ongoing fight with Parkinson’s disease.

The boxing legend, 72, who has been battling debilitating Parkinson’s disease for years, has become increasingly frail and is now largely housebound. And fresh health fears were sparked after he was too ill to attend the premiere of a new movie about his life last week and could not take part in any of the filming.

Speaking at the screening of I Am Ali in Hollywood, his brother Rahman, 71, told the Sunday People: 'I have not been able to talk to my brother about this because he is sick.

'He doesn’t speak too well. But he is proud that we are here for him. He has given this film his blessing.'

The film is a closer look at Ali's family life and, according to Hind's report, also includes excerpts from former boxers like George Foreman and Mike Tyson. Sadly, Ali has not yet been able to see the film.

While the film looks like a fascinating and touching look back at the life of one of the most impactful public figures of the 20th century, it's difficult to hear of Ali's health deteriorating at the same time.

A person who once seemed larger than life as a younger man, Ali's public appearances have now become rather rare, highlighted by his presence in the 2012 Opening Ceremony at the London Olympics.

But a film being released about his life at this time is also a reminder that Ali's legacy is not his ongoing battle with Parkinson's.

What we'll remember is his gold medal and his fights against Joe Frazier. We'll remember him triumphing over Sonny Liston and George Foreman, or being needled by Howard Cosell. We'll remember him changing his name from Cassius Clay for religious reasons. We'll remember him refusing to fight in Vietnam and standing by the decision, even when he was arrested.

And of course, we'll remember "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

Parkinson’s disease has taken a lot from Ali. What it can't take is his legacy.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more...ing/ar-BB968ds

I love this man dearly.It's a miracle that he hasn't already left us.Seeing so many of his foes falling before him must deeply hurt him.I read the news on here yesterday that Leon Spinks wasn't in good health recently.We're not gonna have many of the "Golden age" left soon,that saddens me weirdly.

Comment

Originally posted by HughJass View Post
      I love this man dearly.It's a miracle that he hasn't already left us.Seeing so many of his foes falling before him must deeply hurt him.I read the news on here yesterday that Leon Spinks wasn't in good health recently.We're not gonna have many of the "Golden age" left soon,that saddens me weirdly.
      It is just life. We all have to go some day. I believe I also read today here that Alis own son hoped he would pass away sooner than later, as he is suffering.

Comment

Originally posted by -Weltschmerz- View Post
        It is just life. We all have to go some day. I believe I also read today here that Alis own son hoped he would pass away sooner than later, as he is suffering.
        You're correct Weltz.He really must be bad if his own son is saying stuff like that.I'm gonna have to get some my sig and avis back on of him

Comment

It is very sad of cource, one must wonder what can be done for Ali at this point. Things like appearances should be out of the question. They've exploited Ali and his name enough, if an 'appearance' is too much for him(and not surprising at all that they can be overwhelming for the man considering his health and age at this point) then leave it be.

Over the years I've seen several of these kind of reports though. Regardless it will be a very sad time when he finally does pass away.

Comment

Panic mode set in so i double checked on it

http://www.foxsports.com/boxing/stor...s-claim-101314

No mention of the son i don't think.

Comment

Everyone must watch I Am Ali,just beautiful.Just finished watching,i highly recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by THE REED™
                Laila posted on her FB today that his health is the same as it's been.
                Good news then. It could be that she is just being optimistic but I really hope not.

Comment

Ali, Spinks, Augustus. Jeez, we're losing a lot of past fighters these days.

Comment

Well, Muhammad Ali was really one of the popular boxer and fight like a champion every time and it's really sad to know about his bad health...I hope he will recover from this situation very soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X