Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does strength alone increase punching power? Why is that the case?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does strength alone increase punching power? Why is that the case?

Ok lets take the bog standard jab.

Not even using your legs to fire this jab you are just arm punching it from the chest/shoulder/tricep.

Lets say you throw this jab and its power is 50 pounds per square inch.

Then you went away for 6 months and trippled the strength of your shoulders, chest and triceps in the same plane of motion as the jab.

Would you hit harder than before with these gains in strength?

Why would or wouldnt you gain power from the strength gains?

Also the strength training was done with weights and you mistakenly did it slowley not fast, this resulted in no increase OR decrease in the speed of your punch, the only thing that has changed is your strength levels.

Do you hit harder or the same and why?

Also you know the power = speed and body weight combined, well can strength add force directly outside that equasion or would the strength need to increase speed for it to make a difference? Why is that the case?

Comment

I will be surprised if anyone can answer this lol I appreciate its a very difficult question that you may not be able to answer.

Comment

I believe you poses an ill-posed question. There are no agreement here about the punching mechanics in the first place. People call with same terms different things. I doubt you will get anything useful like that.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
          Also you know the power = speed and body weight combined, well can strength add force directly outside that equasion or would the strength need to increase speed for it to make a difference? Why is that the case?
          Doesn't make sense if you consider the likes of Meldrick Taylor and Malignaggi.

Comment

Originally posted by NVSemin View Post
            I believe you poses an ill-posed question. There are no agreement here about the punching mechanics in the first place. People call with same terms different things. I doubt you will get anything useful like that.
            So instead of a jab where you push of the rear foot/leg I mean the jab where you just push it out from the shoulder. We can all agree on that cant we and it dosnt really matter if you cant, you can still answer the question "does strength improve power" regardless.

Unless im missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by TheMexHurricane View Post
              Doesn't make sense if you consider the likes of Meldrick Taylor and Malignaggi.
              Yea theres ALOT more to it than the simple equation, for example how well you transmit the force you produce matters, if you have poor bone alignment you are throwing power away. There are many many other factors too.

Comment

Originally posted by NVSemin View Post
                problem is he's trying to ask questions in an overly-complicated way for the limited knowledge he has, hence getting in a mess with it and not being very coherent

Comment

Originally posted by frosty-g View Post
                  problem is he's trying to ask questions in an overly-complicated way for the limited knowledge he has, hence getting in a mess with it and not being very coherent
                  LOL!!!!

Can you answer the question or do you not have the knowlege?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
                    LOL!!!!

Can you answer the question or do you not have the knowlege?
                    can you ask the question or do you not have the knowledge?

Comment

Working...
                    X