No announcement yet.

Can someone please explain this to me?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wuckoo View Post
    You raise a good point op. To be honest this may sound a but controversial but garcia has a lot of Mexican or Mexican American fans who kind of overrate him. I've seen lots of them overrating mikey and claiming that everyone is ducking him when really he is just inactive. He and other garcia fighters are more well known to casuals because most if not all of the stable are on network TV. Garcia actually looks a bit fat in between fights sometimes and is woefully inactive for a supposed p4p great.
    This is something I've noticed as well. Remember when Mikey failed to make weight and HBO's "2 DAYS" show tried to make the viewers sympathetic for him, showed him throwing up and all that? But when Broner failed to make weight against Escobedo, he was "ghetto" and "trashy" and of course "unprofessional".

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
      There's a clear bias from the media in favour of Mexican fighters

Look at the difference in level of criticism towards lsc compared to dsg

I agree with you here tbd
      They cheer for LSC even though they ****ted on Garcia for fighting Salka, LSC's opponent is ranked 90 something in that weight class or something along those lines. SMH.

Comment

Ward is a gold medalist so people will have higher expectations on how he will be like other American olympian before him that turned pro and became successful. Also like others have said they rate Mikey Garcia higher due to fan base of being a latino.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkanyamba View Post
          He is? All I ever hear is how Ward can't draw x amount of fans in Oakland so therefore he's not a draw.
          Yes he is, techliam explains it below.

Originally posted by techliam View Post
          Well the comparison of Ward and Garcia is pretty flawed

Firstly, drawing figures and NSB criticism/backlash are very separate factors. They are not related for the sake of this argument. Being relevant on this board is much more correlated to a specific win or media hype (or lack thereof). Drawing figures do not justify the comparison

But anyway, the answer has already been posted. Ward is discussed on these boards far more as he is on nearly everyones list of top fighters in the sport, and is the best in his division. Like Rigo, he is prone to criticism despite his lacklustre drawing power.

Garcia on the other hand isnt on anyones lips as a top fighter, and isnt even regarded as the top of his own division. A very flawed comparison

I say thia understanding the risk that youre asking the question with your agenda in mind. I just hope you arent implying that Garcia gets let off because hes mexican, or that Ward doesnt because hes a 'slick black undefeated' fighter or blah. If Garcia was pound for pound elite, he would get the same or very similar treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
            Ward is far more relevant than Garcia.

He's talked about in bouts against popular fighters like Froch, Golovkin and Kovalev.

I doubt most people know what division Garcia even fights in, and unlike Ward he's not holding a PFP spot.
            true and more ppl expect far greater things from ward than they do from Garcia.....

Comment

This is something I've noticed as well. Remember when Mikey failed to make weight and HBO's "2 DAYS" show tried to make the viewers sympathetic for him, showed him throwing up and all that? But when Broner failed to make weight against Escobedo, he was "ghetto" and "trashy" and of course "unprofessional".
              HBO would have shown video of Broner throwing up etc if Broner had been doing that. Instead of making an honest effort like Mikey..Broner was tweeting pictures of Twinkies & other junk food..he completely flouted with the idea of making weight. On the other hand Mikey was at least trying to make weight. "Stupidity" runs in Broner's blood, a fighter can't get sympathy out of people if he's tweeting pictures of junk food instead of even trying to make the weight. Broner absolutely disrespected Escobedo & surprised him...he was a light weight (135lbs) & made Jr. lightweight (130lbs) especially for Broner...& what does Broner do? He doesn't even try to make weight.

They cheer for LSC even though they ****ted on Garcia for fighting Salka, LSC's opponent is ranked 90 something in that weight class or something along those lines. SMH.
              People shyt on Al Haymon for choosing Salka for Danny. Danny was also hated on for accepting that match. Haymon deserves criticism for this crap LSC-Manuel Roman fight as well. LSC is ranked #2 at super bantam-weight & is fighting Manuel Roman ranked at #93 at bantam-weight...that's shyt Al Haymon match making for you. Thank you Al Haymon!

Comment

Seems like this thread was ducked by certain user's, #bump

Comment

Mikey gets plenty of criticism, especially considering how Ward's situation has played out.

They both have their reasons, but only one of them has went 0-4 in court.

Comment

probably cause ward is much higher profile. The higher profile you are the more people look for flaws and things to complain about.

Comment

Fact is, wharever the reason, Ward has done nothing at all of any note in 3 years.

I can't support that.

Comment

Working...
                      X