No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Warren: Cleverly Deal Done With HBO, Waiting on Kovalev

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
    Since now, Kovalev fought just C-rated fighters -- one cannot say how good he really is.
    Hopkins would have taken this fight, but there's no money on the table and grandpa wants some big gates before he retires.
    There was money on the table for Murat? LOL Hopkins already said he wants Tarver pretty soon. He will NOT be fighting Ward, Kovalev, or Stevinson.

Comment

cleverly is gonna shock the world

jokes aside clev is alot better than people give him credit for

Comment

Whats this bull**** with Campillo not being a top LHW? He beat Murat, Shumenov 2X and Cloud. He should have been a WBA and IBF unified champ when he fought Kovalev

Comment

Originally posted by King- View Post
          He also beat Shumenov though who is another titlist..... So he had unofficial wins over Cloud and Shumenov who at the time made 50% of the champions of the LHW division. So either this division is really god AWFUL for two champs to lose to a "C rated fighter" ..... Or Campillo simply isn't a C rated fighter?

Yeah I saw the cleverly interview where he said some guys on twitter were calling Kovalev a taxi driver. Screw those guys they don't know anything about boxing..... If cleverly defends against Kovalev, that is the BEST, biggest and most dangerous possible opponent he could make a mandatory defense against. THIS is what title defenses should be, fighting the top guys who work their way up, make a name for themselves with their performances in the ring, are undefeated and clearly have legit championship potential. Not recycling the same fighters over and over again simply due to the fact that they have a "big name who brings money" or because they are "low risk" AKA Shane Mosley, Gavin Rees, lee Purdy, etc.....

Cleverly WILL get respect if this fight happens. Win or lose, it's actually a win-win for clev IMO. If he wins, he just took out one of the top contenders in the division who everyone was talking about being the next big thing.... If he loses. So what? He lost to an absolute monster who is probably going to run the division if he picks up that title.... And he took a risk not many people were jumping to take and people can stop saying he's protedted, etc
          I'm not saying Campillo is C rated at all. But I don't rate him as an elite light heavy.. He's lost below elite level as well, so there's nothing that backs him as elite, when he doesn't have an elite win on his record. So imo he's a B level fighter. B+ at best.

Just watch what happens if Clev beats Kovalev. Some people will inevitably say he wasn't as good as they thought and he's limited etc. Same as when Froch destroyed Bute (actually I also said Bute wasn't as good as I thought, but still) or Joe C with Lacy. People will want to hate on Clev for a long long time. I'm not yet a fan of Cleverly, but he gets unfair stick. He's beaten guys who went on to become mandatories again. That says a lot imo, but people often neglect that.

But I agree he needs to step it up a bit if he's serious about becoming the next big thing in the LHW division, which, imo is there for the taking. There's three guys who could rule it for the next 4-5 years and they are Kovalev, Ward and Cleverly. I don't believe for a second that Dawson will come back from the loss, Bellew doesn't cut it, Hopkins is old, Froch won't move up, Murat and Campillo aren't top class, Stevenson is limited, though powerful, and Cloud is a no no. Unless Bute grows a chin with the weight I don't see anyone other than the three I mentioned being able to dominate.

Comment

Originally posted by MurkaMan View Post
            There was money on the table for Murat? LOL Hopkins already said he wants Tarver pretty soon. He will NOT be fighting Ward, Kovalev, or Stevinson.
            I only said B-Hop is cashing out...
            That is precisely why he didn't take the Murat fight.
            B-Hop hopes to get a Froch fight in the UK or a Pascal-Bute winner in Canada.

(I have nothing against Kovalev -- I'm from Europe and not so fond of Russians. But I can say that I do like the Russian school of boxing, the Russian school of ice hockey, the Russian symphinic music, Dostoyevsky, Chekhov, Bulgakov, aso...)

Comment

Originally posted by yoz View Post
              Why are HBO interested in broadcasting a feather-fisted paper champ?
              How bitter are you?

I guess that's what happens when you proclaim all week that Cleverly/Warren will never sign to fight Kovalev. You have to find a new angle of attack

HBO is lacking in stars. Cleverly and Kovalev are two young fighters with exciting styles, it's kinda a win-win for them.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
                I'm not saying Campillo is C rated at all. But I don't rate him as an elite light heavy.. He's lost below elite level as well, so there's nothing that backs him as elite, when he doesn't have an elite win on his record. So imo he's a B level fighter. B+ at best.

Just watch what happens if Clev beats Kovalev. Some people will inevitably say he wasn't as good as they thought and he's limited etc. Same as when Froch destroyed Bute (actually I also said Bute wasn't as good as I thought, but still) or Joe C with Lacy. People will want to hate on Clev for a long long time. I'm not yet a fan of Cleverly, but he gets unfair stick. He's beaten guys who went on to become mandatories again. That says a lot imo, but people often neglect that.

But I agree he needs to step it up a bit if he's serious about becoming the next big thing in the LHW division, which, imo is there for the taking. There's three guys who could rule it for the next 4-5 years and they are Kovalev, Ward and Cleverly. I don't believe for a second that Dawson will come back from the loss, Bellew doesn't cut it, Hopkins is old, Froch won't move up, Murat and Campillo aren't top class, Stevenson is limited, though powerful, and Cloud is a no no. Unless Bute grows a chin with the weight I don't see anyone other than the three I mentioned being able to dominate.
                I agree.
                Bute had this chin issue since amateurship. But Lucian had bigger problems with Carl. He couldn't get past Froch's long jab, he suffered a panic attack of some sort and practically gave away the fight...

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
                  I only said B-Hop is cashing out...
                  That is precisely why he didn't take the Murat fight.
                  B-Hop hopes to get a Froch fight in the UK or a Pascal-Bute winner in Canada.

(I have nothing against Kovalev -- I'm from Europe and not so fond of Russians. But I can say that I do like the Russian school of boxing, the Russian school of ice hockey, the Russian symphinic music, Dostoyevsky, Chekhov, Bulgakov, aso...)
                  Bhop can retire. But if he wants to hold belts hostage, he needs to fight the best. Im tired of him fighting short, squared up fighters like Pascal and Cloud. He need to fight some dangerous guys like Ward etc

Comment

Originally posted by Arsene Knows View Post
                    How bitter are you?

I guess that's what happens when you proclaim all week that Cleverly/Warren will never sign to fight Kovalev. You have to find a new angle of attack

HBO is lacking in stars. Cleverly and Kovalev are two young fighters with exciting styles, it's kinda a win-win for them.
                    Cleverly has an 'exciting style'? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Comment

Originally posted by MurkaMan View Post
                      Bhop can retire. But if he wants to hold belts hostage, he needs to fight the best. Im tired of him fighting short, squared up fighters like Pascal and Cloud. He need to fight some dangerous guys like Ward etc
                      just for GP...what do you think YOU need to do?!?...just curious my man

Comment

Working...
                      X