Why didn't Margarito rematch Williams?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CHOWWOKKA View Post
    funny how that works huh?
    I'm watching this fight again... I remember watching it because PWill had been calling out Margarito for years trying to get this fight. He was always mentioning how he beat the brakes off of Margs in sparring. Running through opposition at welterweight, so when this fight was made, I was ecstatic.

Williams was truly a unique fighter to the sport. Amazing coordination and skill, too brave.

Comment

Originally posted by davis828 View Post
      Stop it.

Now listen when Margs is asked about a rematch (3:35)

Just stop it. Margs wasn't keen on fighting PWill again. He almost sounded like Khan after the loss--trying to talk his way into the WBO giving him his title back. He even goes as far as saying he wouldn't want a rematch unless Arum ran it since Goosen robs people.

Revisionist history, eh?
      Margarito was obviously unhappy with the decision in the immediate aftermath as he felt he got jobbed. That really has nothing to do with whether he wanted to fight Williams again or not. In fact in later interviews he backed away from the idea that he was robbed and started blaming himself for starting too late.

You're trying to decifer things you want to hear from words at the post fight press conference. That is not dealing in facts, its conjecture.

Fact is Margarito's team petitioned the WBO for an immediate rematch. He was instated as mandatory to Williams title but the WBO gave Williams the option of a voluntary defence which he took against Carlos Quintana.

Comment

Margarito went against Arum and Top Rank's wishes to fight Paul Williams in the first place. He went out of his way to fight Paul when Arum wanted to line him up for Cotto. Top Rank sued him before the fight FFS... lol. He was in the dog house and had to work his way back into Arum's good graces after the fight.

After he stopped Cotto becoming one of the hottest fighters in boxing, no one in his management was going to allow him to do it a second time around and Top Rank was not going to change their mind about it.

Comment

As I heard it, Williams didn't want the immediate rematch. After the Cotto fight, Marg told Williams to take a walk.

Comment

Originally posted by QUELOQUE View Post
            Margarito went against Arum and Top Rank's wishes to fight Paul Williams in the first place. He went out of his way to fight Paul when Arum wanted to line him up for Cotto. Top Rank sued him before the fight FFS... lol. He was in the dog house and had to work his way back into Arum's good graces after the fight.

After he stopped Cotto becoming one of the hottest fighters in boxing, no one in his management was going to allow him to do it a second time around and Top Rank was not going to change their mind about it.
            Again, for fans from the UK, Paul Williams was chasing Margarito for years. He was sent home from sparring by Margarito's camp because PWill was giving him too much. There was no interest in a rematch from Margs' camp. Fight Cotto [original plan] or pursue a rematch with somebody they didn't want to fight in the first place?

Comment

while i do agree that pwill would have been the tougher fight for sure. i cant help but lol at the fact that a prime, undefeated, top 10 p4p in cotto gets referred to as the easy fight. i dont think its anything against cotto, just shows the respect p-will gets around here at 147. NOBODY wanted to fight him. only man other than winky that i truly believe mayweather avoided hard.

Comment

why didn't he rematch Clottey either its because he was on a bad run so he went for easy fights

Comment

Originally posted by sammiza567 View Post
                  NOBODY wanted to fight him. only man other than winky that i truly believe mayweather avoided hard.
                  Couldn't have said it any better.

Comment

Originally posted by davis828 View Post
                    Again, for fans from the UK, Paul Williams was chasing Margarito for years. He was sent home from sparring by Margarito's camp because PWill was giving him too much. There was no interest in a rematch from Margs' camp. Fight Cotto [original plan] or pursue a rematch with somebody they didn't want to fight in the first place?
                    Again, for the lesser educated, Margarito's camp petitioned the WBO for an immediate rematch. Williams chose an optional defence. Margarito fought Cotto a month after Williams beat Quintanta in a rematch. How was Margarito supposed to fight Williams instead of Cotto exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
                      Again, for the lesser educated, Margarito's camp petitioned the WBO for an immediate rematch. Williams chose an optional defence. Margarito fought Cotto a month after Williams beat Quintanta in a rematch. How was Margarito supposed to fight Williams instead of Cotto exactly?
                      Again, for UK fans, Margarito was never looking in Williams direction after their fight.

http://www.boxingscene.com/team-paul...-claims--15464

Just stop it.

Comment

Working...
                      X