Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come so many so called Boxing fans think that the Slick Boxer types are skilled?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AntonTheGreat View Post
    gotta disagree jro. those two weren't the best examples, but judah is/was slick. of course, zab has been a big bag a crazy his whole career so we can interpret that guy in any number of ways. he's got just about the lowest iq for a guy with his gifts I've ever seen.
    What made Judah slick? He was flashy, he had speed. But, don't mistake flashy with slick he was never.

He was slick as a prime JMM, he was as slick as Pacquiao.

He just wasn't slick but flashy.

Comment

Originally posted by prinzemanspopa View Post
      Alexander is a horrible example to use;atleast Judah showed himself capable of pulling off certain defensive moves in a fight(even though he was never anywhere near consistent enough to be considered a truly "slick" fighter") - Alexander is just as defensively inept as could possibly be.
      this is true, but when you look at their body language in the ring you would have to say they are "trying" to be slick.

Comment

Originally posted by DoomCity202 View Post
        see this is why the ignore feature is good

41wins 28 kos and judah wasnt skilled.

There is a high level of racial hate n this board.

Peaceout lil fella

Voice that hate to those foolish enough not to ignore you.
        Judah really wasn't that skilled. He was talented because he had speed and power(those are talent not skilled) but as skilled goes for he just wasn't.

That's fine, you can put me on ignore. Is not like I will be missing out much.

But, funny that it's because I'm racist? Yea ask other posters and they will tell you I'm a black supremacist GTFOH.

Comment

Originally posted by Nedlo1 View Post
          this is true, but when you look at their body language in the ring you would have to say they are "trying" to be slick.
          Cotto "tries" to be slick. That doesn't make him slick.

Comment

Originally posted by King Ghidorah View Post
            Like guys like Devon Alexander or Zab Judah as examples?

Because of their styles and their "slick" "elusive" style people always confuse every fighter of that type as being skilled?

And then when they see a Jake Lamotta, Roberto Duran (he was askilled boxer but gets confused by so for a sloppy brawler), Julio Cesar Chavez, Miguel Cotto Alfredo Angulo or Lucas Mattysse....And say that they are flatfooted and slow and have no technique or skill?

They should refraze it...... "I like his style" "I don't like his style"
            Having the ability to eat punches doesn't make you skillfull. If you're using your chin as a defensive mechanism, you wont last long. The art of boxing is to hit and not get hit. Simple as that.

A guy like Winky Wright wasn't "slick" but he sure was skillfull in that he had the technique to block a lot of punches instead of eat them.
            Last edited by p4p-champ; 08-03-2011, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
              Cotto "tries" to be slick. That doesn't make him slick.
              what about the occasional time that it works?

Comment

Depends on the defintion of slick, some people call a slick fighter someone who does not do things by the regular guidelines as far as dropping your hands like Roy Jones or Calzaghe or Martinez.

Some slick boxers are skilled.

Comment

Originally posted by p4p-champ View Post
                  Having the ability to eat punches doesn't make you skillfull. If you're using your chin as a defensive mechanism, you wont last long. The art of boxing is to hit and not get hit. Simple as that.
                  But, Lamotta and JCC were skillful fighters no? Much more than say Judah and Alexander....Matter of fact they were probably arguably had better defense than both fighters especially on the inside no?

Lets not even compare Duran to these 2 guys. But, would you say that Duran skills is just as Floyd or Hopkins? Maybe even more so?

Comment

floyd is defense slick
                    cant attack, doesnt have the power ot skill to sustain an attack

pacquiao is the opposite
                    doesnt defend, goes toe to toe but can run over motherfathers like its funny

Comment

Originally posted by Nedlo1 View Post
                      what about the occasional time that it works?
                      If they were slick it wouldn't be occasional.

Pac dropped Hattong with a right hand while evading a punch from Hatton.

That what slick fighters do. Pac did it that instant. But, just because it was an occasion that it happen. Doesn't mean that they're slick.

Comment

Working...
                      X