No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Frank Warren: Floyd Mayweather One of The Best Ever

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anonymous2.0 View Post
    Ah yes, the Golden Age of boxing. When viewing the past don't forget to put on your rose tinted glasses.

No, I think people take a biased look at the yesteryears of boxing. Sports athletes are continuously made better in every generation due to scientific advances in exercising, nutrition, and dieting as well as an accumulation of knowledge on offense and defensive skills. You can't make a solid argument that boxers 20 years ago were better conditioned and coaches had more boxing lore stored in their head then boxers and coaches today.

Disagree somewhat. The focus on guys with superior athletic ability has taken away from sound fundamentals. When you combine the two you get fighters like FMJ. Today's guys are just as fast, but their actual knowledge is lacking imo.

Comment

Originally posted by flat1985 View Post
      I am a floyd fan but the only way i would say that high is if he thought Canelo at 154, Martinez at 160 and then Ward at 168
      Sad just sad...he'll he might as well go up and fight both klitschko brothers at the same time after right???

Comment

You don't have to be a historian to see Floyd is great. Maybe the greatest. Still plenty of boxing left

Comment

Originally posted by check hook View Post
          Disagree somewhat. The focus on guys with superior athletic ability has taken away from sound fundamentals. When you combine the two you get fighters like FMJ. Today's guys are just as fast, but their actual knowledge is lacking imo.
          I think as a whole modern athletes know much more about their game then athletes 20 years ago. Sure you can drop names of high profile athletes and coaches, but as a whole our athletes know more simply because of the ready and instant availability of access to information.

Comment

Originally posted by Calabis View Post
            This crap make me laugh...like athletes have evolved in the last 20 years...if that's the case hiw the hell is Floyd still dominating this hybrid athletes of today. How is Kobe still competing like top 5 in league if he's going against these young uber athletes.
            Kobe is playing in a team sport, its not like he's playing every game by himself. And even though he's competing against young 'uber' athletes he's also playing on a team of young 'uber' athletes.

Sugar Ray would be even better than he was according to ur theory.
            This makes no sense.

Show me an athlete in the last 10 years that can do what Bo Jackson did
            Bo Jackson's personal best at the 50m sprint was 5.78 seconds. In 2005 Leonard Scott did it in 5.58. Bo's 100m sprint was 10.44. Yohan Blake did it in 9.69 in 2012. Bo Jackson had one 30 home run season in 1989. Adam Dunn has multiple 40 home run season and is still active.

Show me an athlete in track that would run a sub 10 100 in the conditions Jesse Owens had
            The conditions that Jesse Owens ran under were racial hatred and insecurity. The 'conditions' Jesse Owens ran under are not applicable to this old vs modern training argument.

Freaks are Freaks they would dominate any era...those of the past would be even better then they were. According to u the NBA shoul be full of Lebrons due to all the advances, but guess what he's a freak...one of a kind.
            How can you say these freaks would dominate any era? How do you know what the athletes of the next 100 years are going to be? Using your own example, Jesse Owens, his race set aside, was considered to be a freak on the track - yet his record has been broken multiple times. If you look at sports in general you see these 'freaks' of yesteryear setting records, but many of those records are being broken. As for the NBA being full of 'Lebrons' esque players, they may not be as good as Lebron, but you can't say that the average athlete was better 20 years ago then modern athletes because the average athlete 20 years ago doesn't have all the modern science and research and most importantly the availability of that information like the modern athlete has today.

Thanks for playing!

Comment

These old school fighters were putting in 15 rounds, fighting three times as frequently as the guys now. They didn't have the advanced medical treatments that we have now to overcome injuries rapidly. The training techniques were antiquated by today's standards and the knowledge regarding nutrition was the same.

If the conditions were twice as harsh, the "edges" twice as few, and some of these guys were able to win over 50 fights, I'd say they were pretty damn good. These dude's would be monsters today - fighting less, eating better, training better, healing faster.

Comment

Originally posted by junior gong View Post
                He could have been, but he missed a lot of challenges and thats what puts him below so many other fighters. It seems to be the norm these days, but in generations gone by fighters fought their rivals and didnt make excuses for not fighting them on the whole.

I've never doubted the guys talent, but its frustrating as a boxing fan knowing he could have been so much more. IF he does actually have another five fight in the next thirty months and stays unbeaten, then provided its not against a bunch of guerrero's or old men, then he will elevate himself.

Whatever path he chooses, he has become rich beyond his and most peoples dreams and can look back on his career and be happy. A great fighter, but nowhere near the best.
                I would really like to see your top 20 list.

Comment

Originally posted by PacIsBack
                  Wait tell Manny comes back and Floyd will get back on vacation.
                  I'm sure he'll send a postcard to Manny when Manny is in the hospital.

Comment

Working...
                  X