Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why do most amateur gyms don't use the speed bag?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It doesn't. You throw your fist where you know the bag is going to be, you're not aiming at the bag.

With experience, anyone could do the speed bag with their eyes closed.

Comment

maybe its expensive? breaks easily because beginners use it wrong? maybe people just dont want to bother setting up that whole platform? idk..

i trained at four gyms and only one had a speed bag which is a real shame. its one of the most useful tools in the gym imo.

Comment

Originally posted by heavyfists View Post
        It doesn't. You throw your fist where you know the bag is going to be, you're not aiming at the bag.

With experience, anyone could do the speed bag with their eyes closed.

Im sure people can hit the speed bag with their eyes closed (hitting your hand on the top metal part will probably stop most from trying). Its muscle memory and rythm.

In order to get to the point of hitting the speed bag with your eyes closed you have to practice and build the hand eye coordination to hit the bag first. Then hitting the bag becomes muscle memory and then you can hit it with your eyes closed.

When you see something on the ground and bend over to pick it up, thats hand eye coordination.

Comment

Yeah the trainers who don't like them are usually know it alls who never even had a fight yet somehow they're an expert. Its a great exercise

Comment

Cdn national team thinks that the double bag is enough and that muscle memory can't be learned, rather its innate. So they don't use the speed bag.

Comment

Originally posted by heavyfists View Post
              Cdn national team thinks that the double bag is enough and that muscle memory can't be learned, rather its innate. So they don't use the speed bag.

I hate to seem like I am just disagreeing but doesnt muscle memory have to be learned? For example, if muscle memory was innate, we would all be able to jump on a speed bag an hit it like Pac. Or jump on a dirt bike and hit a huge triple jump.

But we cant because it takes years of practice and build up of muscle memory to do these things. Maybe I am not understanding what you mean but saying muscle memory cant be learned but is innate just doesnt make sense to me

And even things that are instilled in us we can sharpen and improve upon. Like speed, strength and reflexes. We can all improve what we have naturally.

As far as the Canadian National team not using the speed bag, thats fine and understandable. The speed bag isnt what is going to determine whether or not someone is a good fighter. However, it is a good exercise that does work on certain abilities that pertain to boxing.

If you feel your time training is better spent on other drills and exercises thats understandable. It doesnt mean your not a good boxer or training wrong, its just your preference.

If you ask me its at the very least a good conditioning drill to add to your training to mix things up.

If someone doesnt feel the need to incorperate the speed bag into their training I completely understand that but to say the speed bag isnt a great exercise for a boxer I have to totally disagree with.

Once again, sorry for pretty much disagreeing with most things you are saying. I just want to understand fully where your coming from as I am a student of the game and want to learn all I can.

Comment

Donald Thomas a high jumper from the Bahamas was crowned the 2007 world champion on his winning jump of 8'2 feet. after 8 months of training prior training he had never entered into competition.

Comment

Using a speed bag was the way I improved my "automatic hand reaction" the best. After over a year of using the speed bag heavily, it blew my hand movement and reflexes out of the water. As for not using form on the speed bag-That sounds like bad coaching/training to me. You ALWAYS need to be maintaining proper form. Goes with every training practice, period.

Comment

too much speed bag and you will fight like gary russell jr
                    Last edited by Fr3$h; 06-23-2014, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebanon View Post
                      too much speed bag and you will fight like gary russell jr

I think most of us can only dream to fight like Gary Russel Jr.

Also, can you explain exactly what you mean?
                      Last edited by Beavis_5000; 06-24-2014, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X