No announcement yet.

Pacquiao Aims for Four (and Six): Real History Part 1

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacquiao Aims for Four (and Six): Real History Part 1

By Cliff Rold - The echoing chorus of drunken Manchester natives is heading across the pond one more time. An island nation will live and die with its idol. May 2nd, it will be Ricky Hatton (45-1, 32 KO) defending the lineal World Junior Welterweight championship against the consensus pick for pound-for-pound king, Manny Pacquiao (48-3-2, 36 KO).

Those two names alone make the fight an event.

It doesn’t need more.

The fight has more anyways.

Beneath the glitter, the razzle-dazzle of it all, there lies some real history which demands not to be overlooked. Pacquiao isn’t just challenging for the World Championship at 140 lbs. Pacquiao is challenging for a unique piece of history.

Defeating Hatton would make Pacquiao only the second fighter ever to capture some claim to the title in six weight divisions.

More importantly, more significantly, a Pacquiao win over Hatton arguably makes him the first lineal four-division World Champion in Boxing’s storied annals.

Others have tried; some have come close enough to make a heck of an argument. In the weeks leading up to the big fight, this corner will take a look at the notable fighters who have claimed all or some share of the World title in four, five and six weight divisions and at the end of this series allow readers to forecast just how real the history at hand could be. [details]

If the IBO is recognized for Pacquiao's win over Hatton, it should be recognized for Hearns as well at cruiserweight.

Comment

pacquaio FTW!!
      his a new jaggernut of boxing
      we need a new face of boxing and thats money pacquaio!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
        If the IBO is recognized for Pacquiao's win over Hatton, it should be recognized for Hearns as well at cruiserweight.
        LOL...this is about lineage, not the IBO. Hatton is the lineal champ at 40 until beaten. I didn't even remember the IBO belt was even on the line.
        Last edited by crold1; 03-11-2009, 11:32 PM.

Comment

LMAO @ "Money Pacquiao"!!!! He whinged about the cut for this fight!!! He aint no Mayweather, Lewis or Tyson to ask for 30mil plus. PLEASE FLOYD MAKE A COMEBACK AND SHUT UP THE SILLY ASS FILOS.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
            LOL...this is about lineage, not the IBO. Hatton is the lineal champ at 40 until beaten. I didn't even remember the IBO belt was even on the line.
            I misread it, it says that Pacquiao can have some claim on titles in 6 divisions, my mistake.

Comment

Mayweather is the biggest disgrace to boxing. all that talent and not an ounce of heart. i would rather watch pac workout then mayweather in the ring. everybody loves a fight and mayweather doesnt bring it to the table and he ducked every descent welter.

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
                I misread it, it says that Pacquiao can have some claim on titles in 6 divisions, my mistake.
                IS ROLD CALLING dlh THEE UNIQUE 6 DIVISION CLAIMANT OF "WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP" TITLES???? IS ROLD TRYING TO SAY dlh ACCOMPLISHED MORE IN THE RING THAN 'HAMMERING HANK' OR 'ROBERTO DURAN'? WELL LOOK AGAIN "mr sports writer" LOOK AT THE SORRY *SS SOFT CHALLENGERS dlh WON HIS "WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS" FROM! AND WHAT CHAMPIONSHIPS THEY WERE. WBO, BREDAHL; IBF, RUELAS; IBA, COLEY; ETC. ETC. THEN LOOK AT THE LOSES YOUR SO CALLED "LONE SIX DIVISION CLAIMANT" HAS RECIEVED, SMALLER PBF, THE B*TCH SLAPPING BY MANNY PAC-MAN. OH!!! AND DON'T FORGET THE GIFTS AGAINST STRUM, QUARTEY, MOLINA! PLEASE DON'T COMPARE A FAKE SMILING FRAUD OF A FIGHTER, WITH TRUE FIGHTERS LIKE HANK, ROBERTO, JJC, W.GOMEZ, HAGLER, ALI, JUST BECAUSE HE'S BEEN ABLE TO GENERATE MORE REVENUE THAN ALL ABOVE MENTIONED FIGHTERS PUT TOGETHER, DOES NOT MEAN HE IS A TRUE FIGHTER. A BUISNESS MAN YES. BY FAR. A WARRIOR? don't think so...100X35...

Comment

Originally posted by gibo View Post
                  IS ROLD CALLING dlh THEE UNIQUE 6 DIVISION CLAIMANT OF "WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP" TITLES???? IS ROLD TRYING TO SAY dlh ACCOMPLISHED MORE IN THE RING THAN 'HAMMERING HANK' OR 'ROBERTO DURAN'? WELL LOOK AGAIN "mr sports writer" LOOK AT THE SORRY *SS SOFT CHALLENGERS dlh WON HIS "WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS" FROM! AND WHAT CHAMPIONSHIPS THEY WERE. WBO, BREDAHL; IBF, RUELAS; IBA, COLEY; ETC. ETC. THEN LOOK AT THE LOSES YOUR SO CALLED "LONE SIX DIVISION CLAIMANT" HAS RECIEVED, SMALLER PBF, THE B*TCH SLAPPING BY MANNY PAC-MAN. OH!!! AND DON'T FORGET THE GIFTS AGAINST STRUM, QUARTEY, MOLINA! PLEASE DON'T COMPARE A FAKE SMILING FRAUD OF A FIGHTER, WITH TRUE FIGHTERS LIKE HANK, ROBERTO, JJC, W.GOMEZ, HAGLER, ALI, JUST BECAUSE HE'S BEEN ABLE TO GENERATE MORE REVENUE THAN ALL ABOVE MENTIONED FIGHTERS PUT TOGETHER, DOES NOT MEAN HE IS A TRUE FIGHTER. A BUISNESS MAN YES. BY FAR. A WARRIOR? don't think so...100X35...
                  Well it is the truth, DLH does have claims to titles in 6 divisions, it doesn't mean he's a better fighter than the others you mentioned and I don't think Rold's intention was to say DLH was better than them.

Comment

DLH's 6 world championships in 6 division is weak. None of them are lineal and half the belts are WBO belts.

Comment

Working...
                    X