No announcement yet.

7 year olds going at it.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jaded View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with you on these points...but I think the red headgear showed more potential stylistically in the last minute of that round and better skills that the other doesn't have...and will develop into the better fighter from what I could see at this point. The black headgear initially show more brawn...but I was more impressed with the way the other kid was slipping punches at that age.
    Styles make fights. I would not say one would develop better than the other, i think they will develop their own style. There have been many great battles between contrasting sltyles and a lot of the greats were not necessarily "slick". Judges, like us, do have preferences and I would prefer my kid to hit and not get hit like you. Their will be judges and people that will like the other kids style better. The red head gear kid got hit although he showed good defensive potential, the other boy showed the opposite with offensive minded game. Pacquiao had no d. .Heart and will, will factor into their development as well and I thought the other kid in black showed a little more that he wanted to be there. I thought.
    Last edited by Dominicano; 09-19-2015, 10:00 AM.

Comment

They look like they have done it for 5 to 6 months

And have been around it for over a year.older siblings do it.

Kid in the blue has substance and the kid in the red is more flash.

If that was an am fight ,kid in the blue would have won.
      You should be able to go to a local gym and sign up and tell them you dont wanna do no sparring. You wanna do shadow boxing and jump rope and speed bag. And mitts.
      I dont know a gym in the world that wouldnt take your money

Comment

I remember one time there was a kid and father at a gym.

I swear to god this father let his son get sort of beat up in "sparring" it looked like his kid didn't know much because the little Mexican kid really roughed him up and the father/son never came back to the gym and I can't remember them even being there at all, just that specific day. Both kids looked around 8-9 years old.

The odd part was that he was filming his son take that whooping.

Comment

Originally posted by Jc8804 View Post
          They look like they have done it for 5 to 6 months

And have been around it for over a year.older siblings do it.

Kid in the blue has substance and the kid in the red is more flash.

If that was an am fight ,kid in the blue would have won.
          You should be able to go to a local gym and sign up and tell them you dont wanna do no sparring. You wanna do shadow boxing and jump rope and speed bag. And mitts.
          I dont know a gym in the world that wouldnt take your money
          Thanks.. That gym they were sparring at looked more like a raggedy garage somewhere. I've been to a couple of places. Some were not straight up boxing gyms but offered boxing lessons among other things (mma). I tried L.A. boxing but they all required kids to be at least 8yrs of age and the kids there did not look like the boxing type or were any good, some have been training for over a year. No sparring but I noticed most of the kids were afraid to get hit when practicing d on each other. I would like a straight out boxing gym that could help my boy get to compete eventually. These gyms that cost money but boys aren't getting to that level. Ive been to one other gym that looked more serious but they said they don't take kids but saw 2 or 3 kids on the bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano View Post
            Thanks.. That gym they were sparring at looked more like a raggedy garage somewhere. I've been to a couple of places. Some were not straight up boxing gyms but offered boxing lessons among other things (mma). I tried L.A. boxing but they all required kids to be at least 8yrs of age and the kids there did not look like the boxing type or were any good, some have been training for over a year. No sparring but I noticed most of the kids were afraid to get hit when practicing d on each other. I would like a straight out boxing gym that could help my boy get to compete eventually. These gyms that cost money but boys aren't getting to that level. Ive been to one other gym that looked more serious but they said they don't take kids but saw 2 or 3 kids on the bag.
            They probably have some relation with kids that stems from outside of boxing. It's probably nervous for them to take on training someone's kid.

Either way, don't go to those pay for boxing places. The sweatier and grittier the gym, the more your boys sweat and become gritty in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
              They probably have some relation with kids that stems from outside of boxing. It's probably nervous for them to take on training someone's kid.

Either way, don't go to those pay for boxing places. The sweatier and grittier the gym, the more your boys sweat and become gritty in the ring.
              I feel like a lot of the gritty gyms don't want to waste there time on kids with no experience because I was asked if he boxed before and said they don't take kids when I said no experience. I don't want a gym to make money of me and just toss my kid to the side. How do these kids get so good. Maybe I should just start them of. at home, buy some mitts and a bag. It seems like the ones from boxing backgrounds are the ones who get a good Jumpstart into the sport. Community gyms all say they have to be 8. They start competing at 8 those kids in the video would have an advantage having started before then.
              Last edited by Dominicano; 09-19-2015, 11:55 AM.

Comment

In all honesty. There isnt many good trainers out there.
                Substance is key. Having experience yourself with creativity is huge.

Some of these kids are getting taught based off of youtube and seeing mayweather hit mitts. A lot of the kids you see arent really as good as they seem. A lot of it is flash.
                They get taught to look a certain way. I cant tell you how many times i seen a flashy looking kid get torn out the frame from a kid with basics and balance and good chin who can cut the ring off.

They look all bad on mitts but that fundamentally sound kid tears through them like a hot knife on butter.

Start with footwork and shadow boxing. Basic forward backward left and right.
                Hands up elbows down
                Punch 1 -2s, pivots, slip 1,2,3s

Jump rope
                Speed bag,exercises-jumping jacks push ups sit ups squat jumps mountain climbers.
                Basics on a bag .move left throwing the 1 . Then the 1-2. Then the 1,2,3 . Moving left only. Move right and throw a 2 then the 2-3. Learn to livot off the 3 and move back left
                Rinse and repeat these basics.

Teach them to side step left and set. Side step rt and set. In circles.

Do mitts- 1/ 1-2/ 1,2,3 /2./ 2-3/2-3-2

Start with that

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano View Post
                  Been looking to try to get my kid who is about to turn 7 next month into boxing. Can't find a gym close to me that takes em under 8. I know they start USA boxing competitions at 8. Looking at vids to see how long it would take for my boy to get into competition level. How long do you guys think these kids been boxing for? Video says they are 7.

Great skills. Really great! I am glad you are not like my dad & uncle that tried to push me into something I wasn't interested in! Which I layer grew to love!

Comment

Originally posted by Jc8804 View Post
                    In all honesty. There isnt many good trainers out there.
                    Substance is key. Having experience yourself with creativity is huge.

Some of these kids are getting taught based off of youtube and seeing mayweather hit mitts. A lot of the kids you see arent really as good as they seem. A lot of it is flash.
                    They get taught to look a certain way. I cant tell you how many times i seen a flashy looking kid get torn out the frame from a kid with basics and balance and good chin who can cut the ring off.

They look all bad on mitts but that fundamentally sound kid tears through them like a hot knife on butter.

Start with footwork and shadow boxing. Basic forward backward left and right.
                    Hands up elbows down
                    Punch 1 -2s, pivots, slip 1,2,3s

Jump rope
                    Speed bag,exercises-jumping jacks push ups sit ups squat jumps mountain climbers.
                    Basics on a bag .move left throwing the 1 . Then the 1-2. Then the 1,2,3 . Moving left only. Move right and throw a 2 then the 2-3. Learn to livot off the 3 and move back left
                    Rinse and repeat these basics.

Teach them to side step left and set. Side step rt and set. In circles.

Do mitts- 1/ 1-2/ 1,2,3 /2./ 2-3/2-3-2

Start with that
                    Sounds good. I'll try that with my boy. Thanks

Comment

http://www.boxinghelp.com/california.html

Comment

Working...
                      X