Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who thinks fighters now are better then they were in the past?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who thinks fighters now are better then they were in the past?

I have recently read comments stating that fighters good or average fighter now would beat the great fighters of the past, that they have evolved over time and was just wondering your take on this?

I do human get better at things over time in everything. I find it hard to believe we get worse at hand to hand combat over time. Certain aspect of boxing might be downa little but I think overall they are better athletes that are in better condition.

Comment

It's obvious that science and technology is better today... yesterday's fighters had to train by hitting a tramp, whereas today's fighters are grown in vats using eugenics.

It's a simple fact that someone like Peter Manfredo Jr. would easily KO Ali if they'd ever met in their primes.

Comment

probabley would, fighters now adays are technicians
        but this is only if your goin back far
        like when they had thin gloves and about 40 rounds or some****
        other than that nothin much differrent nowadays

Comment

Originally posted by Swirls[BMITP] View Post
          probabley would, fighters now adays are technicians
          but this is only if your goin back far
          like when they had thin gloves and about 40 rounds or some****
          other than that nothin much differrent nowadays
          Exactly - fuckin' a, bro! The skillset is better, that's what peeps don't understand.

Ray Robinson prolly look's good on some old b/w tape's that no one can see properly, but the reality of it was he just used to jig a little and slap a chicken as part of his training.

If you showed Willie Pep a Bernard Hopkins video he'd be embarrassed to even step in a ring again, but they just didn't know what they were doing back then. In fact, I don't even think boxing was properly invented till 1985.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
            I do human get better at things over time in everything. I find it hard to believe we get worse at hand to hand combat over time. Certain aspect of boxing might be downa little but I think overall they are better athletes that are in better condition.
            I believe fighters from today are underrated compared to fighters from the past.

Just like all sports. People always seem to say that all the good players and the golden eras are long gone.

Comment

Ignorance and rookieism all over the place here. Guys back in the day fought hundreds of real professional fights that went 15+ rounds. They weighed in the same day. They were in better shape and spent much more time honing their craft. Why do you think they call bhop a throwback. He would really be a throwback if he were fighting once a month. Also, they used to fight each other many times, that's how you really discover what works and doesn't work against different styles. I mean, it's not even close. Notice most of the ageless master boxers are called throwbacks. No coincidence. Plus the divisions were loooooaaaded. Do some homework b4 you write, it's not like football or baseball

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post
                Ignorance and rookieism all over the place here. Guys back in the day fought hundreds of real professional fights that went 15+ rounds. They weighed in the same day. They were in better shape and spent much more time honing their craft. Why do you think they call bhop a throwback. He would really be a throwback if he were fighting once a month. Also, they used to fight each other many times, that's how you really discover what works and doesn't work against different styles. I mean, it's not even close. Notice most of the ageless master boxers are called throwbacks. No coincidence. Plus the divisions were loooooaaaded. Do some homework b4 you write, it's not like football or baseball
                Thank's for the head's up, I feel fooolish now.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post

Gambler, if I train and fight 8 rd fights 12 times a year and you train and fight for 3, 6 round fights a year. Who is going to be in better shape?

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post
                    stamina means **** all in terms of skill, and stimina is all these guys had, they trained hard sure, but in the wrong ways
                    it might've looked good looking back at it in a black and white tape an all, it might seem like all those guys were skilled boxers and **** but truth is those guys all fought like newbs and just had 2 things that seperated them from each other
                    talent and determination

you look at it now, boxers with very little talent can beat even a greatly talented fighter due to textbook ''hands high, chin tucked in, move in with the jab etc'' that the guys back then never had

ray robinson was one of the first to fight scientifically with his footwork

Comment

Working...
                    X