Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did the second Cotto Margarito fight prove Margarito simply had Cotto's number?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was a bad stoppage but that fight didn't really prove anything about either fighter

Comment

I didn't accuse Margarito of using wraps in the first Cotto fight, but when he got caught before the Mosley fight I had some suspicion

The 2nd fight was a chance for Cotto to follow the narrative that Margarito only beat him because of the wraps. He was a favorite, he was supposed to go in and batter Margarito who was coming off the Pac loss and eye surgery. Honestly I didn't see that. I thought as shot as Margarito was, that he was starting to break Cotto down again slowly. I didn't agree with the stoppage at all. Let Margarito fight to the end.

After the fight, as bad as Margarito's face looked I thought Cotto's face really told the whole story. He got lit up by a totally shot Margarito.

At the end I think Margarito just had his number.

Comment

Cotto fight a very different fight under the tutelage of Pedro Diaz, and Tony was done, so I'm not sure the second fight really told us anything.

The question I would have is what if Cotto fought like that first time round? What if he had exited the exchanges much quicker, and denied Margarito space for the uppercut on the inside? Would Cotto have been capable of pulling that gameplan off against that version of Margarito?

I guess we'll never know and it doesn't matter really. Cotto got it badly wrong first time round and Tony got it right. No rematch could change that.

Comment

Proved that Cotto is going to go life and death with Margarito no matter what. Margarito was shot to **** and was still starting to take over the fight in the 2nd fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Hype job View Post
            Truth hurts homie, I actually like Cotto but I believe Margarito had his number.
            What the mexican had was bricks on his hands, literally...

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
              Cotto fight a very different fight under the tutelage of Pedro Diaz, and Tony was done, so I'm not sure the second fight really told us anything.

The question I would have is what if Cotto fought like that first time round? What if he had exited the exchanges much quicker, and denied Margarito space for the uppercut on the inside? Would Cotto have been capable of pulling that gameplan off against that version of Margarito?

I guess we'll never know and it doesn't matter really. Cotto got it badly wrong first time round and Tony got it right. No rematch could change that.
              That's a good point. Maybe the trainers had a bigger role.

Pedro is a great trainer for certain fighters. I thought the did a great job with Rigo and Solis. But I'm not sure he was ever a good pick for Cotto. Cotto has looked a lot better with Freddie than he ever did with Pedro.

Perhaps Freddie would have lead him to a more convincing victory over Margarito. But Margarito's pressure is something that will always trouble someone like Cotto imo.

Comment

It proved Margarito can't get it done without the bricks.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuban Linx View Post
                  That's a good point. Maybe the trainers had a bigger role.

Pedro is a great trainer for certain fighters. I thought the did a great job with Rigo and Solis. But I'm not sure he was ever a good pick for Cotto. Cotto has looked a lot better with Freddie than he ever did with Pedro.

Perhaps Freddie would have lead him to a more convincing victory over Margarito. But Margarito's pressure is something that will always trouble someone like Cotto imo.
                  I think Roach would have been a disaster for Cotto when it comes to Margarito. It was over-confidence in his own offensive capability that ruined him in that fight. Had he boxed more conservatively he might just have pulled it off.

To me, Roach is still unproven as a good fit for Cotto. I rate the performance produced under Diaz against Floyd higher than anything Cotto has done for Freddie. Delvin Rodriguez and a completely ruined Martinez do nothing for me.

If he can go out and fight that aggressively against Canelo or a real middleweight, I'll buy the rejuvenation argument. But not beforehand.

Comment

Its not even debatable, Margarito was coming on before it was stopped. Pac won that fight for Cotto

Comment

Originally posted by LeG00N View Post
                      Its not even debatable, Margarito was coming on before it was stopped. Pac won that fight for Cotto
                      Why not debatable?

What I saw was a brickless journeyman get toyed with til the ref showed mercy and saved him.

Comment

Working...
                      X