Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is it a bad thing to watch film of your opponents?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is it a bad thing to watch film of your opponents?

Floyd is capable of adjusting in fight, but watching tape could definitely help lesser fighters. I see Broner gladly saying he does not watch tape, and now Mayweather Sr. says he has not seen much of Vasquez, just a little bit on the radio. It is part of being a professional IMO. You should go into the fight ready, willing, and able to adjust but knowing tendencies and favored techniques is greatly beneficial!

That crap about it does not matter what he does, it only matters what I do is just that, CRAP! I hope Mayweather Sr/Bey know that Vasquez is a mover...

I SMH violently every time I hear someone proudly say they don't watch tape.

What are your opinions of this?

It's just a show of bravado most of the time, like they're not even worried about their opponent.

Some people genuinely believe it too, that it's better to focus on your own game. But that's a weak-minded attitude really, like they're afraid more information might confuse them.

Comment

I tried replying to you in the other thread. But that was a slip-up on Floyd Sr's part when he said 'radio'. He meant TV, video, etc. Should be obvious. Even though Floyd Sr may say he hasn't seen much of Vasquez, he has seen some footage. And he'll watch more before the fight actually happens to have the best game plan.

Below he talks about how Love probably lost because he didn't watch footage of his opponent, and how even though Floyd doesn't watch, he doesn't recommend fighters not watching footage.

Comment

Originally posted by radioraheem View Post
        I tried replying to you in the other thread. But that was a slip-up on Floyd Sr's part when he said 'radio'. He meant TV, video, etc. Should be obvious. Even though Floyd Sr may say he hasn't seen much of Vasquez, he has seen some footage. And he'll watch more before the fight actually happens to have the best game plan.

Below he talks about how Love probably lost because he didn't watch footage of his opponent, and how even though Floyd doesn't watch, he doesn't recommend fighters not watching footage.

Thanks for the post. I certainly hope so. His response indicated that he did not and will not look to watch tape, but time will tell.

This thread was not really about Floyd Sr though, just an example. I have been seeing this more and more often and it is puzzling.
        Last edited by SintilatingDTS; 09-02-2014, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SintilatingDTS View Post
          Thanks for the post. I certainly hope so. His response indicated that he did not and will not look to watch tape, but time will tell.

This thread was not really about Floyd Sr though, just an example. I have been seeing this more and more often and it is puzzling.
          One thing about it is that, watching footage is a double-edged sword. The opponent may fight one way on his tapes, but when he fights you, he may switch it up. He may not fight like how he did in footage, so that's the danger.

I would say guys today have more access to and watch way more footage of their opponents than fighters of the past. Sparring sessions are even available to watch, that was unheard of back in the day. And you can watch this all on your phone. Insane.

Comment

Originally posted by radioraheem View Post
            One thing about it is that, watching footage is a double-edged sword. The opponent may fight one way on his tapes, but when he fights you, he may switch it up. He may not fight like how he did in footage, so that's the danger.

I would say guys today have more access to and watch way more footage of their opponents than fighters of the past. Sparring sessions are even available to watch, that was unheard of back in the day. And you can watch this all on your phone. Insane.
            Very true. It is great to adjust in fight, but being able to pick up just one or two tendencies gives you an advantage right out of the gate. While an opponents game plan can change from fight to fight, they typically have the same tendencies. I see guys basically give away 2-3 rounds just trying to feel out their opponent. The feeling out process can be shortened if you know what to look for.
            Last edited by SintilatingDTS; 09-02-2014, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Saying you don't watch tape & don't lift weights (etc) are almost inside jokes in boxing. It's supposed to create the impression that you're a "natural".
              Last edited by E. O. Wilson; 09-02-2014, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SintilatingDTS View Post
                Very true. It is great to adjust in fight, but being able to pick up just one or two tendencies gives you an advantage right out of the gate. While an opponents game plan can change from fight to fight, they typically have the same tendencies. I see guys basically give away 2-3 rounds just trying to feel out their opponent. The feeling out process can be shortened if you know what to look for.
                this right here. Tapes pretty much only show you how he fought that particular guy, so what you are looking for is the things he does in EVERY fight. Does he drop his right hand a little when he jabs? Does he take a half step over after an uppercut. You look for the things that are part of his mechanics, and look for ways to exploit those tells in the fight......

Comment

I can't believe that someone with the success and preparation of Floyd Mayweather doesn't watch tape of opponents. Remember when he mimicked Cotto on the heavy bag before their fight and he nailed it?

I would hope that a trainer is watching tape for a fighter, if the fighter is not. Even if the opponent doesn't fight the same from fight to fight, they will have tendencies you can spot and exploit.

Comment

If you go in there and don't know anything about the guy your fighting, it will take multiple rounds to figure out the most effective punches, when you could have known right away! Its a no brainer if you ask me.

Comment

Working...
                    X