Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gloves that allow a more 'natural' fist shape?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

besides what was already mentioned about them being bad for your sparring partners, i dont like the shape of the glove and the weight distribution/thumb position, i know alot of fighters who have hurt their hands/thumbs on the heavy bag or even mitts when using cletos, myself included. they are good fight night gloves but there are way better training gloves out there. the grants are similar in price and absolutley amazing. nothing is on the level of a winning glove(only glove i will train with) but thats a serious investment. the ringsides posted above are a good glove too.

Comment

Cuauhtémoc1520, the ringside gloves look to have a similarly 'tucked' thumb position to the Reyes, do you find the fist shape you can make in them to be comfortable?

In the context of this question I'm less concerned about my sparring partners (who are also my friends and pretty forgiving) than I am about my thumb injury, which is absolutely agonizing when caught. So if any of you were to rate gloves in terms purely of the thumb position (i.e. the thumb is either A: safely tucked away rather than sticking out the side, or B: extremely well protected by the glove padding), which would be your choices?

Comment

the professional lemarr range is very good. i have never had thumb problems with mine and they are cheaper than reyes. look into them

Comment

Originally posted by greengriff View Post
          Cuauhtémoc1520, the ringside gloves look to have a similarly 'tucked' thumb position to the Reyes, do you find the fist shape you can make in them to be comfortable?

In the context of this question I'm less concerned about my sparring partners (who are also my friends and pretty forgiving) than I am about my thumb injury, which is absolutely agonizing when caught. So if any of you were to rate gloves in terms purely of the thumb position (i.e. the thumb is either A: safely tucked away rather than sticking out the side, or B: extremely well protected by the glove padding), which would be your choices?
          This is my experience in gloves...

I think that each and every cut of glove is different for different types of hands. I find that Reyes gloves fit wider hands better, I have a wide hand.

The ringsides I showed you are really comfortable and don't have that thumb issue that people complain about with the Reyes.

Like I said, I like the Reyes gloves for ME and think they are great for hitting the bag and pro fights but as sparring gloves I would say no.

Winning, Grant are top of the line sparring gloves but the IMF ringsides is what we use in the gym and everyone really likes them because of the padding and the comfort.

Comment

Thanks again. I don't have wide hands, so I guess I'd better try a few different types of glove before I spend some of my hard-earned money. The new type of Ringside glove you sent me the link to are not yet available in the UK, only the older version.

Comment

Bridger1, thanks for the heads up about the Lemarr gloves. I'd never heard of them, but the spec looks good, especially for the money.

Comment

I found the Lemarr UltimatePro Mk2 gloves selling extremely cheaply on ebay (£39 brand new, which is just about half the price on Lemarr's website). At that price I will try some of those first, as from looking at the pictures of them the thumb seems to be well protected. If they turn out not to be suitable then I will swallow the cost and give them to someone else at my gym. They seem to have uniformly good reviews, so fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by bridger1 View Post
                  the professional lemarr range is very good. i have never had thumb problems with mine and they are cheaper than reyes. look into them
                  This man knows what he is talking about!

I found the Lemarr UltimatePro Mk2 gloves selling extremely cheaply on ebay (£39 brand new, which is just about half the price on Lemarr's website). At that price I will try some of those first, as from looking at the pictures of them the thumb seems to be well protected. If they turn out not to be suitable then I will swallow the cost and give them to someone else at my gym. They seem to have uniformly good reviews, so fingers crossed.

They're what I use and its safe to say I won't be going back to Reyes or Grant anytime soon. Outstanding glove I can not pick one fault with, even comes with a nifty carry bag.
                  I'm not a salesman for them its just I am so happy with mine I'd recommend them to anyone. You won't be disappointed.

Comment

at that price they are a bargain!

i hope you like them

Comment

Yep, if I remember correctly I paid more than that for some good quality Thai Boxing gloves about 15 years ago, so if they are as good as described then they are the bargain of the decade!

Comment

Working...
                      X