No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Frankie Gavin Has a Busy Schedule Set For 2013

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Frankie Gavin Has a Busy Schedule Set For 2013

Frankie Gavin believes he has bigger fish to fry than Jason Welborn as he prepares to defend the British welterweight title against his local rival.

Birmingham's Gavin, Britain's only world amateur champion, faces Black Country challenger Welborn at a sold-out Walsall Town Hall in a rare local outing.

The bout is Gavin's first title defence having picked up the famous Lonsdale belt against former world champion Junior Witter in November and he is keen to stay busy.

The 27-year-old hopes to beat Welborn and defend the belt two more times before moving to European and world level as quickly as possible.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Gavin has been a bit of an enigma for me. A very good amateur who when he turned pro, was thought of as the best of s bunch that included DeGale and Saunders. Now I'm not so sure...

Comment

Originally posted by Prince_Pugilist View Post
      Gavin has been a bit of an enigma for me. A very good amateur who when he turned pro, was thought of as the best of s bunch that included DeGale and Saunders. Now I'm not so sure...
      He still looks small for a welterweight if you ask me, never really had the power or strength in the division. Shame he couldnt get himself down to light welter.

That and personal problems has affected his development. Still reckon hes got bags of talent though. He has a good ring IQ and sharp reflexes.

Comment

I'm adamant he can make 140 but if he says he can't, then at least grow into 147. He's reverted back to his old amateur trainer too.

Comment

With the right conditioning and dedication Gavin could certainly make 140 and would have a chance of getting amongst the elite in that division, but the dedication isn't there. Amir Khan is still making 140 and Khan is much bigger than Frankie. At 147 the talented Gavin gets to European level at best.

Comment

He looks tiny for a 147. I cant believe he is 5ft 10. He looks like 5ft 6. If he had power he would be an incredible prospect.

Comment

Working...
            X