Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gamboa defeat rios in 10 raund

Comment

Originally posted by Meximafioso View Post
      Gamboa's power? He couldnt knock out Salido, and has tasted the canvas from smaller fighters... More intelligent? keep thinking that Rios isnt intelligent or skilled, he knows how to cut off the ring, constantly comes forward and catches a lot of punches, he is highly skilled for a pressure fighter. His skills are different than Gamboa's, the key in my opinion is how Gamboa is able to take a much bigger guys punches. Gamboa is no Floyd he is there to be hit and if anyone will connct on him its Rios. Cant wait to see this fight.
      Gamboa has power. What you're underestimating is Salido's toughness. But as tough as "Siri" is, he was on the verge of being KOed in their fight. Orlando was knocked down twice in the final round.

I agree that Brandon's skills are different from Yuri's. They have different styles that highlight different capabilities. Rios is a brawler, but that doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's doing.

While you're right that "Gamboa is no Floyd" (who is?), you're wrong in saying that Yuri is "there to be hit." Gamboa doesn't get hit that often. The times he's been down were because he left himself open to a counter and was caught off-balance. That past tendency will indeed be tested when Yuri faces Rios. Brandon is going to be the biggest puncher Gamboa has ever faced. As I've said on other occasions, I expect Yuri to fight "Bam Bam" the way he fought Ponce De Leon. Gamboa will keep his distance and attempt to pot-shot his way to a decision.

Comment

Of all three guys, Rios is the only one that's fought real fighters. fighting an old De Leon and an old Solis doesn't count.

Comment

Originally posted by whoop_dat_trick View Post
          Of all three guys, Rios is the only one that's fought real fighters. fighting an old De Leon and an old Solis doesn't count.
          Ponce De Leon was 31 and Yuri was nearly 30 when they fought. And it's not like Daniel has had a rough career, either. Solis was also 31 when he succumbed to Gamboa. Jorge had only two prior losses, one by KO. These are good fighters Yuri beat, but my favorite win is over Salido. Orlando had some early losses, in part because he started his career very young, but "Siri's" as tough as they come.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
            Gamboa has power. What you're underestimating is Salido's toughness. But as tough as "Siri" is, he was on the verge of being KOed in their fight. Orlando was knocked down twice in the final round.

I agree that Brandon's skills are different from Yuri's. They have different styles that highlight different capabilities. Rios is a brawler, but that doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's doing.

While you're right that "Gamboa is no Floyd" (who is?), you're wrong in saying that Yuri is "there to be hit." Gamboa doesn't get hit that often. The times he's been down were because he left himself open to a counter and was caught off-balance. That past tendency will indeed be tested when Yuri faces Rios. Brandon is going to be the biggest puncher Gamboa has ever faced. As I've said on other occasions, I expect Yuri to fight "Bam Bam" the way he fought Ponce De Leon. Gamboa will keep his distance and attempt to pot-shot his way to a decision.
            Gamboa does have all the tools to win this fight but the problem is that even though he fought most of his early pro career at 130 he hasn't been with the kind of opposition that can give him problems above from 126, that will be the big question of this fight, how can Gamboa cope with Rios' physical strength and endurance.
            As good as Gamboa is we have to accept that Rios' style is the antidote for slickness, it will be a competitive fight with Yuri winning most of the early rounds and making Rios look bad early on, but I can see Bam Bam weathering the flashy storm and coming strong taking Gamboa to the limit to stop him.

Cotto/Margarito I all over again.

Comment

Originally posted by VapeRippa View Post
              Gamboa does have all the tools to win this fight but the problem is that even though he fought most of his early pro career at 130 he hasn't been with the kind of opposition that can give him problems above from 126, that will be the big question of this fight, how can Gamboa cope with Rios' physical strength and endurance.
              As good as Gamboa is we have to accept that Rios' style is the antidote for slickness, it will be a competitive fight with Yuri winning most of the early rounds and making Rios look bad early on, but I can see Bam Bam weathering the flashy storm and coming strong taking Gamboa to the limit to stop him.

Cotto/Margarito I all over again.
              I hate to say that I lean towards Rios in this match-up. I tend to agree with your bolded comments. But I want to emphasize that this will be a competitive fight. That, by definition, means that it's going to be close. And if it's close, anything can happen. This is what sports is all about: exciting, tough-to-call match-ups.

War Gamboa!

Comment

Gamboa's power? He couldnt knock out Salido, and has tasted the canvas from smaller fighters... More intelligent? keep thinking that Rios isnt intelligent or skilled, he knows how to cut off the ring, constantly comes forward and catches a lot of punches, he is highly skilled for a pressure fighter. His skills are different than Gamboa's, the key in my opinion is how Gamboa is able to take a much bigger guys punches. Gamboa is no Floyd he is there to be hit and if anyone will connct on him its Rios. Cant wait to see this fight.
                [/I]
                I c you have a selective memory, Gamboa KOED Salido in the last round, it is not a KO win on his resume because his own stupidity, he fouled salido and was taking two points away....

Comment

If it's the same Rios that fought that English lad.I have every reason to be confident of a Gamboa victory.Rios looked slow and sluggish to me in that fihgt.The speed difference is going to be incredible and Gamboa can definitely hurt Rios.I don't think Rios can beat Gamboa if he plans on being a walking punching bag.Gamboa's going to break his orbital bone the longer it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                    I hate to say that I lean towards Rios in this match-up. I tend to agree with your bolded comments. But I want to emphasize that this will be a competitive fight. That, by definition, means that it's going to be close. And if it's close, anything can happen. This is what sports is all about: exciting, tough-to-call match-ups.

War Gamboa!
                    Best post right here. But, Although anything can happen, I'm pretty sure Gamboa will win a decision just based off of how badly Rios looked in his last bout, but I wouldn't be confident enough to bet lol

Comment

he was damn close to it.
                      and how did lopez, a supposedly very big puncher, do against salido? gamboa did pretty well against him.

more intelligent, yeah he is. and more skilful, yeah he is.
                      how you could honestly believe that not to be the case i do not know.

gamboa is not there to be hit, and particularly if he actively decides to keep out of harm's way. be interesting to see how he handles the big boys' power but he sure knows how to keep away from it if he needs to.
                      the ponce de leon comparison is a pretty good one. de leon and rios are different and it will be different tactics but it's not a bad example as to how he can avoid getting hit, do a little work himself and come out of it unscathed.

Comment

Working...
                      X