European boxing refs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• European boxing refs

Why do European refs not allow ‘in-fighting?’

I’ve noticed that European refs are more apt to break fighters apart right away instead of letting them fight out of the break or clinch. Why is that? Some notable examples include Huck-Povetkin and Ustinov-Pulev. I can’t think of any others off the top of my head but I frequently see this trend when watching European fights.

Inclose/ infighting is an element of professional boxing that differs from amateurs much like there are many differences between college and pro football or basketball. I like watching fighters maneuver in clinch; there's grabbing, wrestling in between punches thrown and landed. A young Mike Tyson was very good at infighting and I'm not so sure he'd have the same success if there was an overzealous ref breaking up the action every time he when into a clinch.

Some do, some don't. I suspect much is based on who is 'supposed' to win.

Comment

A lot of American refs will bark instructions like "fight your way out" or even tap the fighters' gloves when the respective boxers are in a clinch. The Europeans do not give the boxers the opportunity and are very quick IMO to stop the action and break the fighters apart. I've seen several fights this past year where the ref was so overzealous that once the fighters even came remotely close to a clinch the guy was in there breaking them apart. That's 'over reffing' and too disruptive...

Comment

European refs are the same as refs from any other continent some good some bad some biased.

Comment

Working...
        X