No announcement yet.

Prime Liston vs Prime Tyson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kiwi Nick View Post
    It was famously Buster Douglas who OVERATE....

Berbick and Thomas were bums, anyone with any experience knows that.
    Chumps of the lowest order, same with spinks at heavyweight, Tyrell Williams, these chumps were hand made for Tyson.
    Tin cans, nothing else.
    It wasn't Tysons fault the division was so poor.
    Tucker could have been a good fighter but he was missing the essential spark to make the next level.
    No, I'm sorry, Tyson was a good demolition man, but he knocked out nothing but BUMS during the mid to late 80's.
    The division was the weakest it had ever been and second only to when Ruiz won a title.
    Fury might be rubbish but he would have beaten Ruiz.
    berbick upset John Tate went the distance with holmes when he was at his best and upset thomas. By no means great but hardly a bum just as was pinklon thomas.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
      Good luck "LefHook" with these kids, I'm tired of them flapping their mouths.
      Everyone is a bum and they don't even know what the expression means!
      Going fishing early and getting out about 20-25 miles off Boca Grande pass.

Could go for some fresh water big mouth bass instead of these big mouth azz!

Maybe be around come Sunday or Monday
      Ray
      Fishing is a great American pastime. Trolling is a form of fishing, right?

No luck to it, Ray. Luck is for when you try to reason with them. Neither one of us wants to fish in swimming pools.

Comment

@RSU - You're forgetting, styles make fights. Some fights go the distance but it doesn't mean the champ had a difficult night at the office.
        Ali outpointed a lot of guys who got knocked out quickly by other fighters.
        It didn't make him less of a fighter and it didn't stop some of them from being bums.
        Who won?
        Thats the key.
        John Tate was a bum. Berbick was a bum. Tyrell Biggs was a bum. Pinklon Thomas was a bum.
        These chumps would have been in Joe Louis bum of the month club.

Comment

come on guys tyson would be way to much for liston. tyson in hes prime was fast and verocious with great head movement and hand speed not to mention if liston looked scared of ali in there stare down then i dought he would make it out of the dressing room if he had to fight tyson. liston was just the guy holding on to the belt until another great fighter came along ALI/CLAY liston has this great rep because of hes beating of floyd pattison which really pattison could match many decent fighters at heavyweight. foreman would have koed liston frazier would ko liston ali did and so would tyson.

Comment

Originally posted by abdelfadeel View Post
            Mike Tyson under Cus D'Amato and Kevin Rooney was on his way to being an all time great heavyweight. Tyson became a different fighter when he parted ways with them. He became a head hunter and lacked discipline and patience. Although Tyson never had great stamina he was able to go the distance of 10 and 12 rounds a few times and win. The stamina issues were magnified when he got out of jail and was basically a shell of his former self. A prime Tyson had good boxing skills to go along with great power and speed. Tyson in his prime could last 12 rounds and possibly 15 if needed.

Sonny Liston was everything Tyson wishes he was. Liston was tough and a true bad man without having to say so. Sonny could box and go the distance without a problem. Liston had a great chin and probably the best jab in heavyweight history. His power was equaled by very few and maybe only Foreman could match him there.

Sonny Liston would not have that hard a time with Tyson. Liston would used the jab to pick off the smaller Tyson and set him up for big rights and uppercuts. Tyson's style was exactly like Floyd Patterson's(Cus trained him also) but with much more power. Sonny can take anything Tyson dishes out,and that would discourage Mike big time. A great heavyweight contender named Cleveland Williams unloaded on Sonny in the first round of their first fight, bloodying his nose and possibly breaking it. Williams had big time power like Tyson and probably the same amount of speed. Williams was also bigger than Tyson. Liston simply shook off the blows and figured Williams out, eventually knocking him out in 3 rounds. Sonny took Williams down in the 2 round in their rematch. Liston would pound the smaller Tyson around the ring and do what nobody ever did with a prime Tyson... Dominate him. Sonny takes this in no more than 5 but probably ends this much earlier by 3rd round knockout.
            close fight but I would pick Liston, better resume. I think its more competitive than a 5 round beat down though. Tyson is stronger and more rugged than Patterson. But I agree with the rest, Liston wouldn't be intimidated and I think he takes Tysons power better than Tyson takes Listons.
            Last edited by them_apples; 07-05-2016, 03:26 PM.

Comment

I come back to boxingscene after a long time and... I have to read not one but TWO people claiming Spinks was a chump. At 175 on top of that!?!? (not that he was a chumo at HW, but at 175?! come on...)

WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU PPL?

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
                I come back to boxingscene after a long time and... I have to read not one but TWO people claiming Spinks was a chump. At 175 on top of that!?!? (not that he was a chumo at HW, but at 175?! come on...)

WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU PPL?
                dude was a light heavyweight coming back from retirement and a layoff. it was an absolute mismatch with a lot of marketing power. at 175 he was great. people also forget Holmes came out of retirement as well. Both fights were mismatches when you consider how dangerous Mike was at the time. They weren't fair fights. If you took mike out of retirement with 0 tuneups and put him in with a prime George Foreman he would have been steamrolled in 1 round.

Comment

Originally posted by darren01 View Post
                  come on guys tyson would be way to much for liston. tyson in hes prime was fast and verocious with great head movement and hand speed not to mention if liston looked scared of ali in there stare down then i dought he would make it out of the dressing room if he had to fight tyson. liston was just the guy holding on to the belt until another great fighter came along ALI/CLAY liston has this great rep because of hes beating of floyd pattison which really pattison could match many decent fighters at heavyweight. foreman would have koed liston frazier would ko liston ali did and so would tyson.
                  Liston was never scared of clay, Ali actually stayed clear of him the first few rounds and wore him down / made him miss. Tyson would come right at him and probably lose / wilt.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
                    dude was a light heavyweight coming back from retirement and a layoff. it was an absolute mismatch with a lot of marketing power. at 175 he was great. people also forget Holmes came out of retirement as well. Both fights were mismatches when you consider how dangerous Mike was at the time. They weren't fair fights. If you took mike out of retirement with 0 tuneups and put him in with a prime George Foreman he would have been steamrolled in 1 round.
                    thank you. looks like some idiots in this thread think otherwise...

Comment

• tyson would beat liston

Comment

Working...
                      X