No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: PBC on ESPN Card Draws in Ratings Average of 428K

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zarco View Post
    Hopefully boxing on weekdays increases its ratings and hopefully PBC keeps improving and succeeding because only a fool would hope boxing on free TV fails.
    What's with this "but its free doe" mentality? You're like those people who will stand on line for an hour just because they're giving out free t-shirts or something.

I'll be honest. I'd rather watch 1 good fight per month than 6 garbage ones. Quality > quantity.
    Last edited by Deevel916; 10-16-2015, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Scipio it's a fact PBC is losing millions on these shows. The fight purses are public records you can look them up if you want they are paying out on occasion 10x the amount on purses while getting TV ratings similar to that of ESPN Friday night fights or Golden Boy Foxsports1 fights of the past. The difference is those promoters were paid by the networks and operating on significantly lower purse budget. PBC doesn't get paid by networks they are paying the networks on top of inflated purses for fighters. Stevenson was paid more then Friday night fights and golden boy paid all their fighters combined last year. And we know the attendance for PBC has been bad look at the empty seats. Look at all the rival promoters and managers talking about how PBC are being forced to give away tickets just to try and get fans to show up. So they are making little to no money on the gate. PBC is losing money on these shows they are not making a profit only an idiot would say they are. They are paying out too much money and getting crap TV ratings and forced to just give away half their tickets. There was also no MLB baseball head to head for any of the previous SPIKE cards that flopped. When the next ratings come out and it under performs again you will find something new to blame it on. LOL
      Last edited by bigdunny1; 10-16-2015, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
        What's with this "but its free doe mentality?" You're like those people who will stand on line for an hour just because they're giving out free t-shirts or something.

I'll be honest. I'd rather watch 1 good fight per month than 6 garbage ones. Quality > quantity.
        Exactly. And the it's free line is BS. 95% of PBC fights are on cable not network tv. So its not free. you need to pay for a cable subscription and many of them like spike, bounce etc are not covered on basic cable you need to pay for the higher premium cable packages to get those channels. Only fights that are free are the ones on NBC or CBS.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
          What's with this "but its free doe" mentality? You're like those people who will stand on line for an hour just because they're giving out free t-shirts or something.

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
          Exactly. And the it's free line is BS. 95% of PBC fights are on cable not network tv. So its not free. you need to pay for a cable subscription and many of them like spike, bounce etc are not covered on basic cable you need to pay for the higher premium cable packages to get those channels. Only fights that are free are the ones on NBC or CBS.
          You both are presumably boxing fans because you have accounts on boxingscene.com.

Boxing matches, not mainstream names, are now on TV more than they used to be. Yet both of you seem to only watch the mainstream names on HBO and rarely, if ever, watch the sport any other time.

Are you guys boxing fans or just casual fans that watch only big names?

I would think more access to fights and fighters you didn't have previously would be something a boxing fan wants, particularly since HBO is reducing its boxing budget and is showing fewer fights and a limited number of fighters.

There are far more pro boxers than HBO can support. As a fan of the sport, do you ever enjoy watching someone you do not know?

You both make the quality argument. I get that. But the fights being broadcast are generally between up and comers or developing fighters. Is it reasonable to expect they will perform like more seasoned veterans?

You complain about the matchups for some of the major names. Fair in some cases. But no fighter, not even the guys you support on HBO, have hard fights every fight. You enjoy these matchups without complaint. Why not with PBC?

Comment

Terrible ratings. With the exception of the Leo Santa Cruz fight all the PBC fights on ESPN have bombed. Not a good sign. And its not just ESPN. The foxsports1 card bombed too only 192,000 viewers on Tuesday. Only one card so far on the Tuesday night cards have cracked 200k viewers. All the NBC fights have drawn less viewers then the previous fight since the debut. The ratings are all trending in the wrong direction.
            Yeah I like the PBC idea, but I think Haymon is putting them out there a bit too much at this point. 1 or 2 cards per month is plenty. 2 cards per week is saturation. Less cards also means more fights on each card. Showing 2 mediocre fights on an hour show is not gonna get it done. Showing 4 fights on a card wth 2 good and 2 mediocre is a bit more acceptable

Comment

Originally posted by Fetta View Post
              You mean the WNBA Championship game? Yeah Championship game...that shouldnt get views.

women's basketball...

they jump 16 inches off the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                You both are presumably boxing fans because you have accounts on boxingscene.com.

Boxing matches, not mainstream names, are now on TV more than they used to be. Yet both of you seem to only watch the mainstream names on HBO and rarely, if ever, watch the sport any other time.

Are you guys boxing fans or just casual fans that watch only big names?

I would think more access to fights and fighters you didn't have previously would be something a boxing fan wants, particularly since HBO is reducing its boxing budget and is showing fewer fights and a limited number of fighters.

There are far more pro boxers than HBO can support. As a fan of the sport, do you ever enjoy watching someone you do not know?

You both make the quality argument. I get that. But the fights being broadcast are generally between up and comers or developing fighters. Is it reasonable to expect they will perform like more seasoned veterans?

You complain about the matchups for some of the major names. Fair in some cases. But no fighter, not even the guys you support on HBO, have hard fights every fight. You enjoy these matchups without complaint. Why not with PBC?

I'm a big fan of hip hop music. If I don't go out and listen to every single artist or like every style, does it mean I'm not a true fan?

I tune in to what interests me and for the most part, most of what haymon is putting out doesn't interest me. His focus is on quantity over quality. Not to mention his cards are scattered over a plethora of networks, dates and times. It's too unorganized.
                Last edited by Deevel916; 10-16-2015, 09:36 AM.

Comment

There was a report a month ago that estimated that PBC has already blown through 30% of the investors 400mil and that PBC is already over 100mil in the hole. Now I don't know how accurate that number is but it's clear PBC is operating at a loss and losing millions each show. The ratings have not been good. You just can't sustain these types of loses on a fight by fight basis and get such a weak return on ratings. Unless something drastically changes they will run out of money or get to the point where the investors say this is a lost cause and pull the plug.

If you look at Haymon's fighters you are seeing a interesting shift. Early this year over night Haymon took all his fighters and brought them to PBC. This created a huge void for Showtime. Little to no fights as all their big name fighters were now fighting on PBC cards. Now we are seeing a ton of big name PBC fighters going back to Showtime. I don't think this is coincidence. While the names of the fighters for the next round of PBC fights are significantly less then the names of the guys who had been fighting on PBC earlier this year. I think PBC is getting tired of losing all this money and is trying to get less expensive fights on PBC to attempt to limit the losses and as a result taking his bigger name fighters to fight on Showtime not PBC. On PBC he and his investors are paying for everything. On Showtime they are paying.

Comment

There was a report a month ago that estimated that PBC has already blown through 30% of the investors 400mil and that PBC is already over 100mil in the hole. Now I don't know how accurate that number is but it's clear PBC is operating at a loss and losing millions each show. The ratings have not been good. You just can't sustain these types of loses on a fight by fight basis and get such a weak return on ratings. Unless something drastically changes they will run out of money or get to the point where the investors say this is a lost cause and pull the plug.

If you look at Haymon's fighters you are seeing a interesting shift. Early this year over night Haymon took all his fighters and brought them to PBC. This created a huge void for Showtime. Little to no fights as all their big name fighters were now fighting on PBC cards. Now we are seeing a ton of big name PBC fighters going back to Showtime. I don't think this is coincidence. While the names of the fighters for the next round of PBC fights are significantly less then the names of the guys who had been fighting on PBC earlier this year. I think PBC is getting tired of losing all this money and is trying to get less expensive fights on PBC to attempt to limit the losses and as a result taking his bigger name fighters to fight on Showtime not PBC. On PBC he and his investors are paying for everything. On Showtime they are paying.
                    So in other words you dont know anything but will pretend you do. Thats all you needed to say.

Comment

Well in the beginning they knew that they would have to take a HUGE hit and lose money hoping that they can recoup it later on.

Hell of a gamble if you ask me and its not looking promising for investors. These types of losses are unsustainable.

Comment

Working...
                      X