Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All BS aside, name the fighters in your lifetime with BETTER SKILLS than Floyd, Jr...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Danny williams
    Tyson fury
    Tye fields
    Nikoli valuev

.....But seriously i would say hamed had a lot of skills but wasnt as textbook at floyd

Comment

Originally posted by Google_It_Bitch View Post
      Roy Jones Jr
      Sugar Ray Leonard
      The thing that bothers me about SRL was his defense. Like Ali, SRL's chin was his defense too many times.

I have Floyd close to SRL in terms of overall ranking - but they accumulate their 'points' in different ways. For example, if you say that offense is 50% and defense is 50%:

Out of a total 50 points:

Ray: Offensive points - 45, Defensive points - 40 - TOTAL - 85

FMJ - Offensive points - 38, Defensive points - 48; TOTAL - 86

Pea- Offensive points - 35, Defensive points - 50; Total - 85

Just an illustrative example

I understand that many people will disagree that offense and defense should be equally weighted.

Comment

ALI
        LEONARD
        DURAN
        HAGLER
        SALVADOR SANCHEZ.
        Holyfield-prime
        to many others..
        Mayweather = cherry picker, over-rated, barley beat Castillo, and Oscar, even his daddy thought Oscar won, and said his boy quit because he was afraid to lose...

Comment

Originally posted by QUISQUEYA View Post
          You perceive Roy to be a more versatile fighter?

I put the (extra) question marks next to Roy because people say he was 'an athletic freak", not a boxer. But i have seen RJJ's amateur bouts. He did use a more classic (fundamental) style.

i've seen his amateur bouts as well...it was a surprise to see his style 'altered' when he turned pro...there was minimal 'flash' when the headgear was on...

but i do think a prime roy was more versatile....we've seen him effectively use his athletic ability to counter, and we've also seen that he can be an aggressor...we've seen him carry fights, and we've seen him end the show early...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatestIAM View Post
            RJJ
            Mike Tyson
            Hopkins
            Calzaghe
            Joe Calzaghe cannot throw punches.That disqualifies him from any conversation IMO.

If you walked into a gym, and didn't know who they were, and saw Calzaghe and Judah next to each other shadow boxing and hitting the heavy bag....who would you have guessed is the better fighter?

Comment

The thing that bothers me about SRL was his defense. Like Ali, SRL's chin was his defense too many times.

I have Floyd close to SRL in terms of overall ranking - but they accumulate their 'points' in different ways. For example, if you say that offense is 50% and defense is 50%:

Out of a total 50 points:

Ray: Offensive points - 45, Defensive points - 40 - TOTAL - 85

FMJ - Offensive points - 38, Defensive points - 48; TOTAL - 86

Pea- Offensive points - 35, Defensive points - 50; Total - 85

Just an illustrative example

I understand that many people will disagree that offense and defense should be equally weighted.
              Well people also have to realize that the most skilled doesn't mean the best fighter in head to head matchups.

Whitaker's extra 2 points in defense might well allow him to roll up a W against lil Floyd, even with less offensive skills.

RJJ's low defensive rating could be overcome for sure against a more balanced fighter, because he was so fast.

Comment

definetly hopkins, pernell, sugar ray (not my lifetime though) and rjj

Comment

Originally posted by DWiens421 View Post
                  Well people also have to realize that the most skilled doesn't mean the best fighter in head to head matchups.

Whitaker's extra 2 points in defense might well allow him to roll up a W against lil Floyd, even with less offensive skills.

RJJ's low defensive rating could be overcome for sure against a more balanced fighter, because he was so fast.
                  Oh, I agree. For example, you may say that Chavez gets 75 points Total (40 for offense, 35 or less for defense). But he is a superlock short-list ATG and one of the best at 135-140 ever.

Comment

Oh, I agree. For example, you may say that Chavez gets 75 points Total (40 for offense, 35 or less for defense). But he is a superlock short-list ATG and one of the best at 135-140 ever.
                    I'd give Chavez pretty close to a 50 for offense... that man could mix his shots up like no one I've ever seen. He knew which part of your body you were going to block and then threw to the other part...

But his defense was pretty ass terrible.

So 48O + 27D = 75 total.

That certainly would beat a 40O + 40D = 80, because his chin would be enough to keep him in the fight, and he would be landing more and harder.

Comment

It's hard to say that FMJ is the best boxer, skill-wise, when you have so many people disagreeing with basically no real reason or explanation. You just have to leave it at that, posters are forever gonna bring in the "He ducked Cotto he's ***** lolololol!!!!!!1111" and all that BS. FMJ is the best all around boxer I have ever seen.

Comment

Working...
                      X