No announcement yet.

Just Watched Lewis-Mercer Again..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Ryan View Post
    Well, I was 1 years old when he fought in the Olympics so I couldn't have been there for the beginning. I've seen every fight of note from Lewis and the Klitschkos though. I just never thought about it to make comparisons previously.

Watching Lewis in a tough fight where he had to dig deep made me realize how much better he was than Wladimir.

I can only recall Wladimir really digging deep and succeeding once, and that was the Sam Peter fight where he nearly caved in. Lewis kept his cool the whole way through the intelligent pressure of Mercer.
    That's cool. At least you are interested in going back over fights that have already happened and willing to refresh your memory since you were young when you saw them probably. I'm the same way with a lot of fighters I watched for a long time but I may have had a different opinion then than now based on my age. I did the same with Lewis a while back because I saw his fights but I wasn't as detailed in looking for everything as I am now. I just enjoyed them back then and that was it. Lots of fights to still go over which is why I like when others bring up a certain fighter or fights so that I could go check them out.

Lewis understands how to relax better and always believes he can pull out a win. That's the big difference. Both can get knocked out but Lewis won't cave and hyperventilate under pressure. It's a shame because I like Wlad and have always rooted for him but that still is his weakness. If we could mix the Klitschko brothers together, that would be a hellova a fighter.

I've always felt this HL video represented him well....Songs are key:

Last edited by Benny Leonard; 04-03-2009, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
      to be fair, Holyfield did handle Mercer, I think right before the Lewis fight.

although come to think about it, Holyfield always had a field day with those kind of fighters...probably from all that early experience he got in the first Qawi fight...

anyways, Mercer put up a fairly good fight against Wlad despite being almost 40. marked up his eyes fairly well with his jab, if I remember correctly. although Wlad put a beating on him overall.
      Nah, he gave Holyfield a tough fight as well, although not as tough a fight as he gave Lewis. Mercer took a knee, but wasn't really that hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Ryan View Post
        We saw Wladimir in the cooker against Sam Peter and Lamon Brewster. Against Peter he had to climb off the canvas three times and with Brewster in the first fight he fell apart.

Lennox just seemed to flow better as well

This makes sense to a degree, but neither Brewster or Paeter applied the kinda constant pressure to Wlad that Mercer did to LL. Peter didn't ahve the stamina or handspeed to work for anywhere near a full 3 minutes per rd. He was just stalkin and lodain up 1 punch bombs, and even at that only 1 of his KD's was legit. And Brewster did **** all offensively til Wlad almost passed oout from beatin his ass. A KO is a KO but that was a classic example of the loser truly losin the fight as opposed to his opponent winnin it. And Wlad smacked Lamon up the 2nd time. No argument at all tho about LL flowin wit his offense better than Wlad in any fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Benny Leonard View Post
          That's cool. At least you are interested in going back over fights that have already happened and willing to refresh your memory since you were young when you saw them probably. I'm the same way with a lot of fighters I watched for a long time but I may have had a different opinion then than now based on my age. I did the same with Lewis a while back because I saw his fights but I wasn't as detailed in looking for everything as I am now. I just enjoyed them back then and that was it. Lots of fights to still go over which is why I like when others bring up a certain fighter or fights so that I could go check them out.

Lewis understands how to relax better and always believes he can pull out a win. That's the big difference. Both can get knocked out but Lewis won't cave and hyperventilate under pressure. It's a shame because I like Wlad and have always rooted for him but that still is his weakness. If we could mix the Klitschko brothers together, that would be a hellova a fighter.

I've always felt this HL video represented him well....Songs are key:

I've been watching a lot of old Larry Holmes fights again as of late, another underrated champion.

Comment

Working...
          X