Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has the World Grown Too Soft For Boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Publius View Post
    Dumb kiddies would rather watch men grabbing each other's crotches instead of a real sport. So they stick to UFC and MMA.

Boxing is corrupt, backwards, violent, and offensive. I hope it stays that way.
    Violent you say?

Comment

Originally posted by JoeKidd View Post
      This is why boxing USED to capture the imagination. Those guys were gladiators. Now, it's heading in the direction of fencing. Soon time we will have white suits that are wired up so that touches can be accurately recorded, replacing those nimble-fingered compubox dudes!
      The technology already exists. Gloves are already wired with sensors in BKB to measure speed and strike force of punches and I believe PBC has tried the technology out in a limited fashion as well. From what I can tell, there still seem to be some bugs to work out.

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
      Hahaha. I believe you are right. I think the true warriors are gone. I mean, if the Fight of the Century for this century is any indication of the future, the sport is definitely done.
      There are still some fighters out there who are willing to get into the ring to fight all comers. GGG has never refused an opponent, neither has Kovalev or Wlad to my knowledge. Lemieux also seems to be willing to step up and many lower level fighters are willing to take huge risks to test themselves, such as Zerafa did last week, in the hope that they may get a huge win or at least get noticed and get more fights out of it.

What hurts the sport are people like Floyd with his 'my health comes first' bullcrap and Cotto with basically the same kind of behaviour. When a fighter gets to that point, it is time to get the **** out of the game and retire. Add in the lazy ****s like Stoolio Chaves and the sport takes a huge hit as far as credibility goes. If you won't put in the work or are too worried about your health, it's time to become a commentator.

You can see better fights when the Flyers or Bruins play hockey than most of what goes on in the ring in Vegas.

Comment

Originally posted by Barcham View Post
        The technology already exists. Gloves are already wired with sensors in BKB to measure speed and strike force of punches and I believe PBC has tried the technology out in a limited fashion as well. From what I can tell, there still seem to be some bugs to work out.

There are still some fighters out there who are willing to get into the ring to fight all comers. GGG has never refused an opponent, neither has Kovalev or Wlad to my knowledge. Lemieux also seems to be willing to step up and many lower level fighters are willing to take huge risks to test themselves, such as Zerafa did last week, in the hope that they may get a huge win or at least get noticed and get more fights out of it.

What hurts the sport are people like Floyd with his 'my health comes first' bullcrap and Cotto with basically the same kind of behaviour. When a fighter gets to that point, it is time to get the **** out of the game and retire. Add in the lazy ****s like Stoolio Chaves and the sport takes a huge hit as far as credibility goes. If you won't put in the work or are too worried about your health, it's time to become a commentator.

You can see better fights when the Flyers or Bruins play hockey than most of what goes on in the ring in Vegas.
        That's true. I admire GGG, Kovalev and Lemieux for their willingness to mix it up. They are not safety first at all. However I would say they are the minority of the sport whereas the Cottos and others are squeezing every dime they can get and wasting viewers and fans' time and money.

Comment

Boxing has gotten too soft...

Two guys fist fighting will never get old

Comment

Someday boxing drones will do the fighting, remotely controlled!

Rock em Sock em robots!

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
              Someday boxing drones will do the fighting, remotely controlled!

Rock em Sock em robots!
              We may need them to take over pretty soon...

Comment

Originally posted by PK3434 View Post
                The reality is that boxing is very unhealthy. Recently there was a study that showed that 87 out of 91 ex nfl players who donated their brains to be studied showed signs of CTE. That's a scary percentage and I would guess that boxers may have that closer to 100%. Would you people let your kids box? Of course the conditioning classes and boxing workouts are amazing for your health, but getting punched in the head, headgear or not, sparring or in real bouts, is damaging.
                Boxing is a dangerous sport, but that is why they get paid (some).
                One of the main reason fighters end up ruined has more to do with fighters fighting to long.
                Marvin Hagler, Lennox Lewis, George Foreman, Larry Holmes, Mike Tyson and Sugar Ray Leonard are all in great shape for a fighter of their stature. Foreman and Holmes both fought into their 40's and still didn't end up messed up.
                On the players brains, were they players that played along time? That would make it more likely to have damage.

Comment

Has the world gone to soft for lion vs gladiator fights?

Comment

$$$

It is a 19 year old prospect with Al Haymon I can't think of his name but this kid house is just sick and I think he only has like 3 Pro Fights that is not me knocking the kid because his story is great because he was Homeless not very long ago. As soon as I can think of his name I will post Photo of his House I know he has it on his Instagram.

That being said I do think fans forget that this guys are Humans, they can feel the pain of getting hit in the face, you can't, so yeah it is easy for you to try and tell someone how to fight when you're not the one dealing with the the reaction to what comes from getting hit in the fact too often.

So "Softer?" No...Smarter? Absolutely! Take time to go to any boxing gym and find me a trainer that is teaching kids to be exciting and go toe to toe and neglect defense and eat punches. Let me know what Refs stop telling guys before fights "Protect Yourself At All Time" and I might start feeling the same way as you do about boxing

Comment

Boxing has been away from public eye. How is the sport supposed to grow when the only when the younger generation can watch is illegal streams or hoping their family pays for HBO and/or Showtime?

Boxing is a niche sport anyways, it's not even a common extra-curricular in high schools unlike basketball, football, soccer, and baseball.

Comment

Working...
                      X