No announcement yet.

stronger legs for a stronger chin?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stronger legs for a stronger chin?

Hey guys do you think having strong legs actually makes you take punches in a better way.

I am of the idea that having strong legs its essential for boxing, i been training mine really hard and i really feel stronger overall, can take a punch much better, and dont get tired as fast as before, i remember my first fights, i would get tired, and i would feel like my legs were gonna give away by their own, now it doesnt happen to me.

So for all of you that underestimate the importance of the legs for boxing i would really recommend you try it and feel the difference

definently pal just look at fighters with big legs - take amir khan his height and upper body are proabably that of a middle weiht yet he has no muscle mass on his legs and when he gets tagged even 30 seconds later his legs a re still wobling.

any body builder or power lifter or anyone who have a passing interest in weights knows that if you train youre legs you will be able to lift more, you get your strength from your legs.

iv always had pretty big legs and iv felt as though i could take a deent punch - i dont normally do squats, lunges with anything which heavier that 40 kilos, alot of the time i just concentrate on conditioning of the legs through skipping or plyometrics.

btw how did you train your legs did you look to squat more and be able to lift more with your legs or did you conidition them more?
    ________
    LOS ANGELES DISPENSARY
    Last edited by hookoutofhell; 03-14-2011, 01:19 PM.

Comment

david you look in good shape if thats you in the avator (no ****)

Comment

/

David,

what egsactly did you do to train your legs?

did you do them legs weights at the gym where u bring knees together ect or push apart, or leg press?

or did you do squats?

you look like you got good physique so share your secrets

Comment

well i do, do weightlifting but i have always done it and didnt get the same results as for doing more boxing focused training.

What gave me the best results were running with weight on and running on hills ( i just use a tire with a rope tied to me ), and i really like to do leg presses but just unlock the weight and keep it still for as long as i can, not doing reps or anything just holding it as if i were standing, i like to do this because your legs actually shake and start to burn like they do in the ring, so if you can last while doing that thats a good sign.
          Jumping squats with weight are good too. i do other explosiveness exercises but this ones are more focused on legs

Comment

I had no idea boxing did so much for your legs, I, like most people, expected it was an upper body sport but used everything but man, it's my legs that ache more than anything. Boxing has made my legs solid.

Comment

I think it will help your boxing but not your chin. Work on strengthening neck and defense techniques. If you do your circuits and roadwork properly, then your legs should be good. No need for no weights that will make you slow and easier to KO! I grew up playing football so have good legs like Naz. I got KO power too. Legs are part of boxing, but no need for weights. Do burpees and you will develop explosive strength.

Comment

When training the legs, do not neglect the hamstrings and posterior chain. It is VERY important in agility. My head movement use to be slow as molasses, then I started working out my hamstrings and boom, now I am quick.

Comment

I have naturally HUGE strong legs and the odd times ive taken a hell of a punch my legs stay fresh but who knows but i would suspect bigger/stronger legs=better chin. Squats with weight would prob help out your body stability a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by ..David.. View Post
                    Hey guys do you think having strong legs actually makes you take punches in a better way.

I am of the idea that having strong legs its essential for boxing, i been training mine really hard and i really feel stronger overall, can take a punch much better, and dont get tired as fast as before, i remember my first fights, i would get tired, and i would feel like my legs were gonna give away by their own, now it doesnt happen to me.

So for all of you that underestimate the importance of the legs for boxing i would really recommend you try it and feel the difference
                    What about those steroids you take, I forgot what they're called, you PM'd me about them the other day. Did you find they help? Is it worth having the sorness in your ass from all the injections?

Comment

Working...
                    X