Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What holds you back from PC gaming? Price, Patience, Friends?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What holds you back from PC gaming? Price, Patience, Friends?

Not everyone has the patience and money for that, considering some graphics cards alone costs more than the consoles, or about as much. $350+(R9 290x), $520-$650+(GTX 980). The Intel CPU recommended to run these cards are at $220-350. The power supply needed would run you another $150-300. Motherboards could be anywhere from $80-$400. Easily $1,500+ with all other components like liquid cooling(optional), SSD cards(optional but recommended for high end pc's), gaming keyboard/mouse, soundcard, dvd/BRay player for those who have Blu Ray collections they want to play, hard drive 1-3 TB.

You choose, that^ or just buy a PS4 and call it a day?

But what holds other people back? The exclusives? A lot of games that come out for consoles come out for Windows as well, especially everyone's favorite top selling titles like CoD Advanced Warfare, GTA 5, Far Cry 4, Assassin's Creed Unity, Dragon Age Inquisition, Watch Dogs, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Dark Souls II, The Elder Scrolls, MGS V Ground Zeroes, FIFA 15, NBA 2K15, Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor, Evil Within. The list goes on.

Is it the people? You want to play with your friends but they are not PC gamers and you can't convince them to be?

2015 games that will also be available on PC:

Batman Arkham Knight (Imagine the crazy graphics for this game on PC)
    MGS The Phantom Pain
    The Witcher 3
    The Division
    Dead Island 2
    Mortal Kombat X
    Battlefield Hardline
    and many more.

Comment

PC gaming is not that expensive. With a barebones i3 processer and minimal system memory with a high end graphics card you can run any game on ultra for less than 600.

Plus PC gaming pays for itself because you can torrent all the games.

Comment

I don't doubt you can put something good together for less than $600, but it definitely won't be high end. Mid-range for $600, yes, it's very doable.

Comment

I play on PC. In a way, its really for "hardcore" gamers. Or when you get down to it all, its economcial unless you crave next gen tech for stuff like 12K+ Resolution and insane processing power.

You can just buy a console and if it breaks just buy a new one or send it in. The people on console are fine with the graphics they get and enjoy using one type of controller. In short, if you haven't built a PC you probably think its really hard and expensive so you choose the simplistic consoles that claim to be "new-generation" but are from it.

The pros I see on PC are:
          -Resolutions that surpass 1080p (A 4k resolution TV is useless on a Ps4/Xbox One)
          -Digital games that almost ALWAYS go on sale on Steam marketplace (I never pay $60 for a game thanks to Steam sales)
          -You can use pretty much any controller you want
          -You can emulate older systems from arcade systems to the ps2/wii/Nintendo DS
          -Why pay for PS Online/Xbox Live when you can play games like CoD on Steam for free?

The cons to PC:
          -You can't play console exclusives, but are any of them really worth it?

Steam just had the Autumn sale consisting of over 5500 games on sale, that's quite a bit larger than the Xbox One and PS4 game availability combined.

Comment

Consoles became obsolete from a technical standpoint, I assume, during the Xbox 360's and Ps3's reign. Xbox Ones and Ps4s and their subscriptions, digital marketplace, and "next-gen" claiming show how inferior they are when compared to PC.

Some of the next big games are going to be outclassed on consoles by PC..

The Witcher
            MGS V
            GTA V
            Batman Arkham
            Battlefield Hardline
            Project CARS

Comment

well i already have a console why buy a tower pc?
              i game on my laptop sometimes and it's also kind of a mess to set things up, you usually have to worry about the resolution, sometimes it lags, at least one thing need troubleshooting usually etc its just complicated, on a console you just push the cd in and thats it.

I think if you're not a hardcore gamer who cares about resolutions and stuff it's just easier and faster to get a console.

Comment

Originally posted by elgranluchadore View Post
                well i already have a console why buy a tower pc?
                i game on my laptop sometimes and it's also kind of a mess to set things up, you usually have to worry about the resolution, sometimes it lags, at least one thing need troubleshooting usually etc its just complicated, on a console you just push the cd in and thats it.

I think if you're not a hardcore gamer who cares about resolutions and stuff it's just easier and faster to get a console.
                Well, you don't have to be a hardcore gamer to care about graphics. "Next gen" consoles main point of sale is the graphics. That's how they get casuals and hardcore gamers alike. Otherwise, if it was really just about games and no one cared about graphics, Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo would just keep putting out PSOne/X Box/N64 games and people would keep buying it right?

Lagging comes from bottlenecking, due to the builder him/herself bottlenecking his/her PC. If you get everything to be on par with eachother, there's no reason for lagging. You can not have an old CPU with a brand new top of the line GPU. And I mean for example you can't have the Intel i3 with GTX 900 series card, that's bottlenecking. You also should have ample memory, and it's optional but a good SSD card to boot games faster should make things smoother. Plus laptop gaming isn't the same as pc gaming at all, laptop is far behind PC in graphics cards and CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                  I don't doubt you can put something good together for less than $600, but it definitely won't be high end. Mid-range for $600, yes, it's very doable.
                  A barebones PC with a high end graphics card will run the most graphics intensive games at 1080p on ultra settings with no problem.

I know that with a 5k gaming rig you can run games at 4k Resolution, 120+ FPS with multi screens and 3d, but those kinds of setups are overkill. It's completely unnecessary for the amount of money you're spending.

I built my little cousin a bare-bones PC with the minimum components and a Radeon R9 280x Graphics card(on sale) for a total of about $550 and it runs all modern games on ultra settings with no problem. Ranging from 60 FPS to 90 FPS.

Btw the difference between Ultra settings and a PS4/Xbox 1 are not that huge. It's not that humongous of a difference.

I know there are 4k resolution displays but I honestly don't know what you need them for. I am completely happy with 1080p. I don't need to throw away so much money for such an insignificant difference.

It's like being married to a girl that's a 10 who blows your mind every night, and then you find out that the scale goes higher and that there are 15's and 20's out there. I'm happy with my ten lol
                  Last edited by DARKSEID; 12-08-2014, 06:19 AM.

Comment

I've been a PC gamer from day 1, its not that I dont like consoles. I just never had the luxury to spend that much of money when I was in college. So I just put it together piece by piece. I like the convenience of being able to upgrade and downgrade whenever you want.

Comment

Working...
                    X