Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Glen Johnson vs Andrzej Fonfara Early Results From Chicago

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Glen Johnson vs Andrzej Fonfara Early Results From Chicago

By Jake Donovan

A light heavyweight crossroads bout is in store for the ESPN2 Friday Night Fights main event, which airs live from the UIC Pavilion in Chicago. Former light heavyweight champ Glen Johnson lives up to his 'Road Warrior' moniker, as he travels to the adopted hometown of Andrzej Fonfara for their 10-round bout.

Currently airing now is the televised co-feature, as former lightweight king Jose Luis Castillo takes on local prospect Ivan Popoca in a 10-round welterweight clash. [Click Here To Read More]

Popoca was completely out working Castillo in some of those rounds and yet Atlas somehow scored it a shut out? Teddy really should go away and find another sport to annoy. As far as the stoppage is concerned, the ref said the cuts were from a headbutt. So someone please explain to me why he didn't let it go to the scorecards? Makes no sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravens Fan View Post
      Popoca was completely out working Castillo in some of those rounds and yet Atlas somehow scored it a shut out? Teddy really should go away and find another sport to annoy. As far as the stoppage is concerned, the ref said the cuts were from a headbutt. So someone please explain to me why he didn't let it go to the scorecards? Makes no sense to me.
      I agree popoca definetely won rounds 3,4,and 5 Teddy's a dumbass. The ref declared that the cut on the right side of popoca's face was caused by a punch, but the the stupid part about it was that the ref stopped the fight cuz he felt like popoca was taking a beating and he couldn't continue. I have never in my lifetime seen a ref call a stoppage during rounds, it's usually the corner or the doctor.

Comment

Hmmm....

I didn't know Castillo was a "two-time light HEAVYweight king"

Comment

I liked Teddy Atlas and Joe Tessitore's comments about that fight doctor who allowed Popoca to continue when he was a bloody mess in the Castillo fight. I think If Glen Johnson did a better effort in that fight to get a win it would've been another Pacquiao-Bradley catastrophe after hearing the scores for Fonfara.

Comment

Originally posted by spoonwars View Post
            Hmmm....

I didn't know Castillo was a "two-time light HEAVYweight king"
            I was referencing his weight on fight night for each of his defenses. =)

Thanks for pointing it out. Has been properly edited.

Comment

Popoca fought well. He is what he is, a crude come forward brawler.

I was there but was wondering if they were saying anything about Castillo breaking his hand as he didn't throw a left for literally four rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post
                Popoca fought well. He is what he is, a crude come forward brawler.

I was there but was wondering if they were saying anything about Castillo breaking his hand as he didn't throw a left for literally four rounds.
                Yeah they said it and even showed the punch when he broke his left.

Comment

If anyone was there could you pls post the undercard result of Chatman v Herrera? I searched all over and cannot find anything. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by FightFanSTL View Post
                    If anyone was there could you pls post the undercard result of Chatman v Herrera? I searched all over and cannot find anything. Thanks in advance.

Herrera won a 6 round decision.

It was off tv and after the main event.

Probably 200 people in the crowd total when that fight happened.

I think more people were in line for Teddy Atlas' autograph than were watching the fight.

It was decent though. Herrera kept coming, Chatman caught him sometimes coming in, but Herrera controlled the fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X