Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is Jerry Quarry Famous for?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He really should have lost twice to Patterson but besides Ali, no other fighter from that era fought as many rated heavyweights as Quarry did. He was consistently rated among the top ten for close to a decade and beat some big punchers who had a lot of hype going for them at that particular time (Lyle and Foster were both solid favourites over him.)

Comment

Jerry Quarry was a great fighter. I am biased though, I'm Irish and a HUGE Quarry fan.

He had 2 things working against him, his size and the era he fought in.

I have always loved Jerry Quarry. I get very sad thinking about his later life.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthPawHitman View Post
        Jerry Quarry was a great fighter. I am biased though, I'm Irish and a HUGE Quarry fan.

He had 2 things working against him, his size and the era he fought in.

I have always loved Jerry Quarry. I get very sad thinking about his later life.
        Actually his size for that time period was about average 6'0 195 to 205

He would no question be undersized Heavyweight now, or better yet a CW.

Comment

Originally posted by KidKwik View Post
          Quote:

Originally Posted by KidKwik

I looked through his record, he lost to essentially every good fighter he fought against,
          Originally posted by TBear
          You must be thinking of Bobby Quarry.

Seriously I have heard it said many times that if Jerry Quarry fought in an era without an Ali or a Frazier he might have been a champion.
          I said it in a thread a few weeks I forget what it was but Quarry and Lyle would be heavyweight champs right now in their primes.

I could even see them giving Holmes and Lewis fits. They would give us fights to remember with Tyson.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
          Last edited by TBear; 11-21-2013, 01:33 AM.

Comment

If he's "undersized today" who has the talent today to beat him?
            This size thing in the heavyweight division is a joke. Its true without the Klitz bros size they would be ordinary average guys but to say that a heavy is "undersized" is ridiculous! Talent wins fights not size alone!
            Mike Tyson was 5'9" when he was the champ, the big goofy russian 7' dork was a champion of some BS federation too! They come in all size and no one size is dominate! Get off the size thing this is boxing not ****!
            Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
              If he's "undersized today" who has the talent today to beat him?
              This size thing in the heavyweight division is a joke. Its true without the Klitz bros size they would be ordinary average guys but to say that a heavy is "undersized" is ridiculous! Talent wins fights not size alone!
              Mike Tyson was 5'9" when he was the champ, the big goofy russian 7' dork was a champion of some BS federation too! They come in all size and no one size is dominate! Get off the size thing this is boxing not ****!
              Ray
              I never said that Irish Jerry would lose any match up against any Heavyweight fighting today, did I?

No, I was only referring to his physical stature.

I am sure you are aware that the average heavyweight fighting theses days is bigger than 6'0 205, no?

Comment

..."lost to EVERY good fighter he faced".....;

Spenser
                Paterson
                Lyle
                Mathis
                Foster
                Middleton
                Shavers..............he beat these fellows and they were ALL "good fighters"!

He lost to;
                Ali (2)
                Frazier (2)
                Chuvalo
                Norton..............all contenders.

You need to realize their were fellows throughout the history of boxing who were very good competitors who never made to championship status.
                Because you don't know them doesn't mean they never exsisted, study up!
                Ray.
                nicely done /end thread

Comment

Originally posted by U_TALKING_2_ME? View Post
                  Actually his size for that time period was about average 6'0 195 to 205

He would no question be undersized Heavyweight now, or better yet a CW.
                  Yes...He did weigh less than Ali,Smokin Joe,Norton,Chavalo,Shavers etc though.

195 was a little undersized,even in that era. Not a lot though.

Comment

..."lost to EVERY good fighter he faced".....;

Spenser
                    Paterson
                    Lyle
                    Mathis
                    Foster
                    Middleton
                    Shavers..............he beat these fellows and they were ALL "good fighters"!

He lost to;
                    Ali (2)
                    Frazier (2)
                    Chuvalo
                    Norton..............all contenders.

You need to realize their were fellows throughout the history of boxing who were very good competitors who never made to championship status.
                    Because you don't know them doesn't mean they never exsisted, study up!
                    Ray.
                    I know about Quarry, I just haven't watched enough of him to make a fair judgement I guess. But you're post made me think. Would I be wrong in calling him a gatekeeper?

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                      You must be thinking of Bobby Quarry.

Seriously I have heard it said many times that if Jerry Quarry fought in an era without an Ali or a Frazier he might have been a champion.
                      Foreman admittedly avoided him.

Comment

Working...
                      X