No announcement yet.

Can someone please explain this to me?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
    Froch knocks out Ward the next time they fight.

I mean, how much more drivel can one communicate towards you?
    The same Froch that couldn't even mutter Ward's name after beating Groves? Yeah ok we'll go with that.

Comment

Same reason people criticize Mayweather's opponent choice and not Paul Spadafora, one is relevant and the other isn't. Don't get me wrong he is immensely talented but he is the lowest draw on HBO's roster and his fights are boring as hell. He doesn't have any fans to lose. If he wasn't Robert Garcia's brother (who's whole stable is on network television) I'm fairly confident he would be getting the Rigo and Miguel Vazquez treatment and be fighting on undercards in Macau.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
        Ward is far more relevant than Garcia.

He's talked about in bouts against popular fighters like Froch, Golovkin and Kovalev.

I doubt most people know what division Garcia even fights in, and unlike Ward he's not holding a PFP spot.
        He is? All I ever hear is how Ward can't draw x amount of fans in Oakland so therefore he's not a draw.

Comment

I actually agree with you darkness which is rare, about both Ward and Garcia trying to get free and go to greener pastures most likely Haymon.

Comment

You raise a good point op. To be honest this may sound a but controversial but garcia has a lot of Mexican or Mexican American fans who kind of overrate him. I've seen lots of them overrating mikey and claiming that everyone is ducking him when really he is just inactive. He and other garcia fighters are more well known to casuals because most if not all of the stable are on network TV. Garcia actually looks a bit fat in between fights sometimes and is woefully inactive for a supposed p4p great.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkanyamba View Post
              I've seen Andre Ward lose quite a few 'fans' due to his so called inactivity and reluctance to fight. Now I'm thinking to myself, why is it a guy like Ward is constantly bashed for his inactivity and suing his promoter and having all of these court cases surrounding him when a guy like Mikey Garcia is damn near in the same exact situation, excluding the backlash and loss of 'fans'. I see many people tout Mikey Garcia as a future P4P, but how is that going to be achieved with him suing everybody and being so inactive? Why does it seem as though Garcia gets a pass while Ward deals with dozens of emotionally biased fans bashing him for trying to better his career options?

If you ask me, both were in what I would call slave contracts, and Ward and Mikey in particular are making great decisions in breaking free from them. There's no doubt in my mind that both are seeking eventual contracts with Al Haymon, and it'll be a painful process but in the mean time both should be held to the same standards.
              Who let this race tarding, floydspastic back in?

Comment

Originally posted by BrushMyHair View Post
                It's a damn shame. He is from the Bay, just like me. I wish I could meet him so I could give him some advice. He shouldn't fight this lawsuit anymore. He should just fight out the rest of his contract and then leave goosen. He is making the Same Mistake Maurice Clarett did by fighting the system. Except I would never expect Ward to end up like Maurice Clarett.
                This shit had me rolling on the floor

Comment

Originally posted by Inkanyamba View Post
                  I've seen Andre Ward lose quite a few 'fans' due to his so called inactivity and reluctance to fight. Now I'm thinking to myself, why is it a guy like Ward is constantly bashed for his inactivity and suing his promoter and having all of these court cases surrounding him when a guy like Mikey Garcia is damn near in the same exact situation, excluding the backlash and loss of 'fans'. I see many people tout Mikey Garcia as a future P4P, but how is that going to be achieved with him suing everybody and being so inactive? Why does it seem as though Garcia gets a pass while Ward deals with dozens of emotionally biased fans bashing him for trying to better his career options?

If you ask me, both were in what I would call slave contracts, and Ward and Mikey in particular are making great decisions in breaking free from them. There's no doubt in my mind that both are seeking eventual contracts with Al Haymon, and it'll be a painful process but in the mean time both should be held to the same standards.
                  Good point, I never really thought about it like that.

Comment

There's a clear bias from the media in favour of Mexican fighters

Look at the difference in level of criticism towards lsc compared to dsg

I agree with you here tbd

Comment

Well the comparison of Ward and Garcia is pretty flawed

Firstly, drawing figures and NSB criticism/backlash are very separate factors. They are not related for the sake of this argument. Being relevant on this board is much more correlated to a specific win or media hype (or lack thereof). Drawing figures do not justify the comparison

But anyway, the answer has already been posted. Ward is discussed on these boards far more as he is on nearly everyones list of top fighters in the sport, and is the best in his division. Like Rigo, he is prone to criticism despite his lacklustre drawing power.

Garcia on the other hand isnt on anyones lips as a top fighter, and isnt even regarded as the top of his own division. A very flawed comparison

I say thia understanding the risk that youre asking the question with your agenda in mind. I just hope you arent implying that Garcia gets let off because hes mexican, or that Ward doesnt because hes a 'slick black undefeated' fighter or blah. If Garcia was pound for pound elite, he would get the same or very similar treatment.

Comment

Working...
                      X