Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of quitting boxing, any advice??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PLEASE HELP] Thinking of quitting boxing, any advice??

I really don't know if I'm going to continue with boxing...I have the national Titles in March and the qualifications on the 5th Feb. (Although I doubt there will be anyone challenging me for my spot, and if there is, I' don't think there is anyone who can beat me)

But anyway, I'm not boxing training right now. The plan was just weights and light cardio just to maintain shape until after new years, and then 8 weeks of intense training before the Nationals.

But I don't know if I want to keep going. Partly because I just don't feel like putting in the amount of work needed, and also because I'm not sure if I have talent to make it all the way.

I've had 18 fights, won most of them, but yeah I just don't know if I can take it the whole way. I mean I'm a smart boxer with decent all round ability but I'm no stand-out. And it's not just that, mainly I'm not sure if I have it in me to put in work anymore.

i told my coach and he doesn't want me to, he said I'm only 16 and so much can happen if I keep going, and that I could win a national title if everything fell into place.

My friends were all like wtf when I told them I was thinking about quitting said I'd regret it and ****. The thing is i don't know what i will replace boxing with, probably just going out and trying to tune girls more. That is what I would rather be doing right now. Plus I've got Year 12 next year which will be important...Not that I will work hard haha

Do you guys think i will look back and regret it? Especially since now I'm kind of at a stage where I'm capable of moving to another level...But i just don't feel like putting in the work, and I'd feel like I'd be "free" if I gave boxing away.

I don't really know WTF to do at the moment, I'll admit it...Which is kind of scary since I'm usually a pretty focused guy who has it all together.

Any opinions? I just want to hear what you guys have to say...

You got this far now want to quit at the last hurdle? Your only 16 bro, don't do it. There is no logic in your reasons to brush boxing aside. Your end up bored *****less if you decide to quit, and end up being lazy.

Comment

I recommend you stick with it. I gave up basketball when I was 14 and I regret it every day. Sure I got more free time and stuff but I didn't use it for anything smart. When I think where I could be now if I continued with basketball it just makes me sad.

Comment

take a break, watch the upcoming pacquiao fight, then you'll feel like putting the work in again

Comment

I think it is tied in to generally being over everything...I just want to break the **** off and do my own thing.

Comment

I'd say stick with it man. There is a posibillity that it's gonna stay with you for the rest of your life if you quit, always bugging you with that *what if*.

There's no way to know if you got it in you to go all the way as you put it unless you keep at it. Try to find your focus these days and if you can't find it take a short break. Maybe it's all you need.

Comment

Yeah...Maybe. I don't know, no point fronting up to the gym with no desire or passion.

Comment

Stay away from Victor Ortiz. Lol jk.

All BS aside stick with it, what could you possibly do at 16, that would be so exciting? And plus if you do make it to the next level, you will have things you only dreamed of. You got into it for a reason because you liked it, your just in a dilemma because you want to do fun stuff and hang out. Think about it you'll always be only one punch away from greatness. Good Luck wish you the best.

Comment

Originally posted by One more round View Post
                  Yeah...Maybe. I don't know, no point fronting up to the gym with no desire or passion.
                  as u said in ur first paragraph, u think theres no one to beat u. and then you said you doubt if you have talent to go in the next level.

i think you should pursue your boxing to really know what you want. if you find challenge, i think desire/passion will return. if you just cant do it because doubt is beating you. i guess tht would be the time for you to stop for the meantime, and reflect.

but as of now, just do it so that you wont regret later. you've gone too far probably you just feel bored and your daily training...and hey every thing becomes a bore when you always do it, yet enthusiasm comes naturally when you are really onto what you do best.

Comment

I quit boxing when I was about your age, never stopped wishing I hadn't. Started boxing again a while back, and it's pretty easy for me to see how rusty I am...

Stick it out, you'll regret it if you don't.

Comment

Working...
                    X