Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did people forget how bad Wilder looked?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teddy05 View Post
    Fury fought the style he had to to win. This is boxing not bar room brawling

Yeah they came to fight, fact is they just cant fight and having them fighting for a world title is a disgrace
    Who the hell did Fury beat to earn his shot? I would give anyone of those last 3 to 4 Wilder opponents a shot against Fury.
    And I'm basing this off of the Fury I saw against Wlad. Before that he was just a person that I had heard of on this site. Never seen him before that.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
      So, for some interesting reason people are now saying Wilder is better than Fury and Klitschko and would knock everyone out, on the back of his fight vs Szpilka.

I've just rewatched the fight and was sat with the exact same feeling I had when watching it live. Wilder simply isn't that good.

Did you forget how static and stiff he was? He's standing in the middle of the ring and by the 5th round his feet literally looked like they were planted in cement. For such a supposed athletic guy, which he does look like, his feet are exceptionally awful. For god's sake, he kind of looked like Stiverne in there.

Now, let's get to his balance. It is also exceptionally bad. The guy has his upperbody in front of his lead foot about 70% of the time, and his punches are thrown when completely square quite often.

I mean, he threw a 'swing' I choose to call it and ended up on the floor HIMSELF because he swang around himself. Szpilka just kind of looked there and though "WTF mate?".

Don't let me start off on his loading up. He loaded up on every single punch he threw from rounds 2-8. Swinging like he was supremely angry because he was getting tagged by left hooks all the time. As said above, he loaded up so badly that he was swinging around himself and was so off balance that he ended up in a whirlwind straight to the floor in the 8th round. Why?

Now to stamina - Whilst carrying exceptional power all through the fight, he actually looked gassed by the 6th round. Starting to become sloppy, not moving, puffing a little bit and swinging like a mad-man.

Before anyone tells me it was because he fought a southpaw, please. Don't be silly. Szpilka did good though in his best Pacquiao impersonation.

Of course the guy has fight ending power at any moment, but I can't see anything but Fury being an overwhelming favourite should they ever fight.

Same if he ever fought Klitschko.

It seems like the stunning KO automatically erased the rest of the fight and the other intangibles in it. People love power, so do I. But the skills are lacking, and the dude has 36 fights and has been a pro for 7-8 years now, no more of this "work in progress". He's a world champion.

Also, the scores. How in the hell could Wilder ever be 2-3 points ahead in that fight? Simply disgusting.

Thoughts?

Take a look:

I agree all the way.

Wilder's balance was awful. His coordination was pathetic. At one point he was on the ropes, literally reaching and twisting his arm as if he were blind and trying to "find" Szpilka.

He got the lucky punch but that was it. Szpilka was a second-tier opponent at best and he made Wilder look amateurish.

The old "He's beaten everybody he's faced" argument doesn't work here. A lot of guys have. Doesn't make you special.

Fury or Klitschko would make him look like total dirt. Had Szpilka had any more size or power, he would have taken him about the seventh when Wilder was totally gassed. He showed nothing and I hope now that the new has worn off the KO, people will actually wake up from their fantasy that Wilder is a good fighter.

Comment

Lol @ your I hate Wilder circle jerk.

Comment

Originally posted by Pan-Africanist View Post
          Lol @ your I hate Wilder circle jerk.
          I don't get it. Fury has looked way worse in fights. He is also sloppy and off balance a lot of the time. Fury has been dropped more times in his career than Wilder while having fewer fights. Fury is so uncoordinated he punched himself in the face once. Yet everyone is going in on Wilder?

No, Wilder is not perfect but he gets the job done. He's a tall and lanky guy. Guys built like him usually aren't the most coordinated. And people should give Szpilka more credit for what he did. He was an awkward southpaw with decent speed for a heavyweight. Awkward southpaws make everyone look bad.
          Last edited by Johnwoo8686; 01-26-2016, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lefthook2daliva View Post
            I think this mostly a straw man that you are trying to use as justification for a nice rant about how much you think Wilder sucks and anybody who likes him is stupid.

I would contend that the number of people around here that think Wilder beats Fury or Wlad changed little if any following his KO of Szpilka.

It might even have declined. There was a fair amount of "he took way too long to finish Szpilka the bum", "Povetkin did it in less time", etc...

If you wanna' denigrate Wilder and his fans, don't make **** up, just grow a pair and do it on it's own merits.
            The 10+ threads that was made immediately after bringing up Fury's KD to cunningham & asking "could he take that shot?", completely disregarding everything else going on in the fight - disagrees with you.

I like Wilder. I just think he looked awful up until the stoppage, and he was behind on most people's scores when it ended.

That shouldn't happen when you're fighting a relatively average guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnwoo8686 View Post
              I don't get it. Fury has looked way worse in fights. He is also sloppy and off balance a lot of the time. Fury has been dropped more times in his career than Wilder while having fewer fights. Fury is so uncoordinated he punched himself in the face once. Yet everyone is going in on Wilder?

No, Wilder is not perfect but he gets the job done. He's a tall and lanky guy. Guys built like him usually aren't the most coordinated. And people should give Szpilka more credit for what he did. He was an awkward southpaw with decent speed for a heavyweight. Awkward southpaws make everyone look bad.
              Sh.it I get it.

Comment

All those guys you named came to fight. Which is more than anything Wlad or Fury did in their fight. If you guys think that Furys going to tango his way past Wilder your sadly mistaken.
                Please don't compare that. It just makes you look silly.

Comment

Everyone with a scorecard saw it the way I saw it.
                  Originally posted by Teddy05 View Post
                  Well I didnt, nor did Peter Fury
                  Originally posted by Earl-hickey View Post
                  those cards were crooked as hell

go to the RBR, even the wilder fans were pooing themselves
                  Pretty much everyone had Szpilka ahead, incl. Dan Rafael, Mike Coppington & Jake Donovan.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnwoo8686 View Post

Fury has been dropped twice to Wilder's 1. Hardly anything to go by

And also, please don't act like Fury hasn't taken waaaay worse heat than Wilder, despite fighting better opposition and being recognized, lineal champ with 10 less fights.

Fury did some bad stuff too, incl. punching himself in the face which was a hit forum meme for 3 years straight. But that was when he was young. He's fixed it and should be judged on recent performances - As you can see, I didn't bring up Wilder's KD to a 400lbs 5'5 emporer penguin look-a-like, or when he was swinging like a windmill vs Audley Harrison.

I judged him on his last fight.

Szpilka made Jennings look pretty good.
                    Last edited by LacedUp; 01-26-2016, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
                      Pretty much everyone had Szpilka ahead, incl. Dan Rafael, Mike Coppington & Jake Donovan.
                      Yet all 3 judges, the commentators, and Steve Farhood saw it the other way. Lol like Fat Dan doesn't have an agenda. How does he work for ESPN of all places?

Comment

Working...
                      X