Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what was it about Margarito that made some of you think he was a threat to beat Money

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what was it about Margarito that made some of you think he was a threat to beat Money

Margarito is one of the most basic fighters I ever seen get turned into a boogeyman because a great campaign from his promoter and looking good beating just decent competition

Margarito lost to every Elite fighter he stepped in the ring with....Cotto, Paul Williams, Mosley and Pacquaio...even lost to Daniel Santos smh and no name guys early in his career

How was he gonna beat some one that was better than them....Mayweather is without a doubt the best of his generation and back then, their was no one even messing with pretty boy Floyd from 2004-2007

Cotto boxed his ears off until the bricks and fatigue played their part...Mayweather is better than Cotto in almost every era...until the 6 round I don't remember Margo taking a round

Dude was a good fighter but the biggest hype job of my generation....they all look like boogeymen until they face elite guys....I hope GGG live up to the hype
    size
    12.50%
    they just wanted floyd to lose to anyone...hoped he'd lose anyway
    29.17%
    chin and stamina
    40.63%
    bob arums boogeyman campaign
    17.71%

Huge, relentless, iron chinned mexican...

It was this era's robinson-Lamotta

Comment

i will asnwer for the haters....hes mexican

but nah its a combination of pride for there fellow countryman and the fact that tjhey have this mistaken identity of who and what kind of fighter he was,they see him as this macho stalking pressure fighter who threw 1000 punches a round and never stoopped coming forward with body shots and jabs but in reality he was a slow cement incased plodder who didnt have proper movements

to this day he has not had a single good performance since he got ruined by mosley,not one

.imo he was never a threat but since floyd never fogutj him they will always talk about him. they do the same with thoing with paul williams to.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
        Huge, relentless, iron chinned mexican...

It was this era's robinson-Lamotta
        so what if ihe was iron chinned or mexican?floyd doesnt knock people out anyway but i will tell you what he does do! HE LIMITS the amount of punches that these so called pressure fighters are able to THROW!

in some cases he literlly cuts the number in HALF so please take a hint and get a reality check. Margs was never a threat

Comment

i will say this,the ONLY thing margs had going for him was his ability to drain himself to make WW and then blow up 25+ lbs on fifht night and having a major size advantage combined with his decent stamina,that is all but even then his punches werent that devastating because of the way he threw them,he was never taught the fundamentals of boxing.the only reason he beat cotto was because cotto is a bum with horrible stamina

Comment

Originally posted by STAX ON DECK View Post
            so what if ihe was iron chinned or mexican?floyd doesnt knock people out anyway but i will tell you what he does do! HE LIMITS the amount of punches that these so called pressure fighters are able to THROW!

in some cases he literlly cuts the number in HALF so please take a hint and get a reality check. Margs was never a threat
            I never saw him as a threat

no head movement, his jab was slow as molasses....cant cut off the ring, he just follows you around and grins when ge gets hit

Mayweather beat fighters with more skills and talent than him....just to name a few....ODLH, Canelo,Pacquaio, Mosley, Jose Luis Castillo, Corrales, Genaro Hernandez, Hatton, Cotto

Comment

This is why he was a threat to Money May

The man was shook

Comment

i will say this,the ONLY thing margs had going for him was his ability to drain himself to make WW and then blow up 25+ lbs on fifht night and having a major size advantage combined with his decent stamina,that is all but even then his punches werent that devastating because of the way he threw them,he was never taught the fundamentals of boxing.the only reason he beat cotto was because cotto is a bum with horrible stamina
                Cotto is no bum

You don't win four major titles at 4 different weight, one being lineal, by being a bum

Cotto aint no all time great, but he is a hall of famer

Back then he didn't know how to pace himself and never had to box at such a fast pace with so much head and body movement

Margarito can just flat out take a shot...how cotto looked in fight 1 that was the best Cotto ive seen....crisp combos and was elusive

this fight reminded me a lot of Freitas vs Corrales....the better boxer and more talented boxer being broken down by the guy with less talent by will in spades...it happens in boxing

Comment

Originally posted by Aristocrat View Post
                  This is why he was a threat to Money May

The man was shook
                  floyd has social ansiety i dont think he was scared,hes just awkward sometimes because all he jnows is boxing he never had a childhood.

Comment

Look at how much success castillo had vs floyd... Margarito isn't as skilled but he was much bigger than castillo and floyd... His stamina, and floyd lack of punching power at welter, it would have been fascinating to see floyd try and avoid margs all 12 rds...

Floyd was much more skilled but guys like paul Williams and margarito would have been dangerous based on size and work rate...

Comment

Working...
                    X