Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Derek Chisora offers to fight Audley Harrison

Derek Chisora offers to fight Audley Harrison

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/8950698.stm

British heavyweight champion Derek Chisora has offered to fight European champion Audley Harrison should the WBA title holder David Haye choose not to.

Harrison demanded on Tuesday that world champion Haye sign up for a November bout in Manchester after claiming terms had been agreed between the promoters.

Haye - whose next move is unknown - has not properly responded to Harrison, leading Chisora to step in.

"Make your mind up. I'll knock Harrison out if you can't do it," said Chisora.

Haye, who made a successful first defence against John Ruiz in April, said last week that his promotion team were working hard to get a "quality opponent" for October or November.

He also promised his next move would soon become clearer in a video released on his Twitter feed before sending a Tweet which makes reference to Harrison - whom Haye's manager Adam Booth said in June was a possibility - without confirming any plans to fight him.

The 29-year-old Londoner has also been in talks with the Klitschko brothers, Vitali and Wladimir, regarding a unification fight later this year - but those negotiations appeared to reach a stalemate, much to the bewilderment of the rest of the boxing community.

"You are running away from the Klitschko brothers like a thief in the night," stated Chisora on Friday. "If you can't beat a powder puff like Harrison, you should pack up.

"Harrison still hasn't won the British title that he promised to do inside eight fights when he turned pro.

"He's now had 27 fights, I've got the British title so if he wants to finally come good on his promise here's his chance. To be honest, I can't believe he's close to getting a world title shot after needing a lucky punch to beat Michael Sprott.

"If he gets in the ring with me, I'll knock him spark out.

"The future of British heavyweight boxing is me, not an old man like Harrison."

Chisora will defend his British title against Commonwealth champion Sam Sexton on 18 September as part of Frank Warren's Magnificent Seven card at the LG Arena in Birmingham.

Haye probably can't get that punch that Audley stopped Sprott with out of his mind, so he's hesitant to sign.

Chisora is not a cowardly bitch like Haye - he'll take on all comers.

Comment

Working...
    X