No announcement yet.

10 oz padwork

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 oz padwork

im using 10 oz twins for pad work, is this okay?

or should i use 14 or 16's?

thanks

If you're over 130lbs 14's are better that way your arms get a workout and you can always improve on speed.

Comment

Use 10-12 for mitt work so you can get your punch mechanics and timing perfect. Use 16's for sparring. If you're doing regular heavy bag work use 12's unless you have bad hands. If you want to do endurance intervals you can use up to 20's on the bag. Mix it up.

You can use heavier gloves on mitt work occasionally but make sure you get use to the feel of gloves the same weight as you'll be using on fight night

Comment

Originally posted by judge_jab View Post
        Use 10-12 for mitt work so you can get your punch mechanics and timing perfect. Use 16's for sparring. If you're doing regular heavy bag work use 12's unless you have bad hands. If you want to do endurance intervals you can use up to 20's on the bag. Mix it up.

You can use heavier gloves on mitt work occasionally but make sure you get use to the feel of gloves the same weight as you'll be using on fight night
        okay thanks man! will do.

I'll stick to 10's on pad work

Comment

Just remember, ESPECIALLY if you're a beginner, padwork is for TECHNIQUE. Don't waste your one on one time with your trainer by trying to get a 'good workout'. Work on your fitness in your own time, punch outs on the bag etc. Occasionally you can do endurance work on the pads but primarily it should be used for fine tuning your technique. That's the reason you should use lighter gloves for mitt work. I've spoken to Jeff Mayweather and the only reason he uses 16oz's for mitts is for hand protection. If your hands are healthy then use lighter.

Skills pay the bills.

Comment

Just remember, ESPECIALLY if you're a beginner, padwork is for TECHNIQUE. Don't waste your one on one time with your trainer by trying to get a 'good workout'. Work on your fitness in your own time, punch outs on the bag etc. Occasionally you can do endurance work on the pads but primarily it should be used for fine tuning your technique. That's the reason you should use lighter gloves for mitt work. I've spoken to Jeff Mayweather and the only reason he uses 16oz's for mitts is for hand protection. If your hands are healthy then use lighter.

Skills pay the bills.
            Floyd Mayweather Jr? the one he is referring to using 16 oz?

thanks again, will do

Comment

Oops, yeah that's what I meant. I asked Jeff this only a few days ago.

Comment

Oops, yeah that's what I meant. I asked Jeff this only a few days ago.
                Awesome man! great insight then coming from the man himself,

thanks again

Comment

Different coaches train differently, I train with 18oz but spar in 16's. Different strokes for different folks I guess

Comment

Originally posted by Jeradon84 View Post
                    Different coaches train differently, I train with 18oz but spar in 16's. Different strokes for different folks I guess
                    Very True.

Comment

Working...
                    X