No announcement yet.

Drills for closing distance?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drills for closing distance?

I'm a small fighter, quick on my feet and quick hands. I never like to box on the inside because the simple difference in power ends up making me get the worst of the exchange no matter how many better choices I make (I always spar with bigger guys). What are some drills for popping in, letting a combination go and moving right back out before my partner has a chance to load up?

Any advice or criticism is appreciated.

Originally posted by AMChaudhry View Post
    I'm a small fighter, quick on my feet and quick hands. I never like to box on the inside because the simple difference in power ends up making me get the worst of the exchange no matter how many better choices I make (I always spar with bigger guys). What are some drills for popping in, letting a combination go and moving right back out before my partner has a chance to load up?

Any advice or criticism is appreciated.
    to do the style you wana do ,you wana move your head on the way in ,then when your in there u wana get ur shots off then change the angle, for example spin off round to the guys left so he cant get his shots off even when ur pullin out. Also when your going in u dont wana go in on a stright line, u wana mix it up and change the angle of your attack (high,low or shift to left or right) because otherwize you will walk stright onto his shots. Also if ur sprining in you should throw feints in as well, because it will be harder for him to time a counter if he clocks on your rushin in everytime.

Comment

orthodox method, left foot slightly ahead of right foot, a little more squared up than a traditional stance, gloves all the way up to each temple with elbows touching, or as far close as you can manage to get them, form a tight shell and as relaxed as you can, weave to the right and left and practice throwing left and right hooks as you weave right, or weave left.(edit- Right weave+ looping punch. Left weave+ left looping punch.) get your muscles and central nervous system used to being able to really throw your weight around FAST, straight to the ends of your fists, just make sure not to throw them too wide, and I feel palms facing you is the best hook technique for closing distance while weaving with this guard.

Practice jabbing too and then moving back quickly on the weave, when you get better at weaving and get it down..barely bounce on your feet where you are thinking more mobility as you practice this, practice moving forward, getting in shots all on top of the weaving, and you'll establish a solid defense while being somewhat mobile, and you'll hit very hard as you master throwing your weight around....against a good counterpuncher you will definitely eat some shots though. it's all based on head movement for shorter dudes and I think this method's good especially if you can punch.
      Last edited by Frighteous; 03-19-2011, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Great advice so far guys, thank you!
        I'm a southpaw by the way

Comment

Working...
        X