No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Pacquiao/Joshua, Past/Future: BoxingScene Ratings Update

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
    Cliff, that Golovkin article was a great read.....

.... but you simply cannot consider those interim fights as genuine defences.

Golovkin was not even ranked #1 by the WBA, so how can those fights possibly be classified as legit defences?

You are comparing Golovkins era with Monzons, back when there were only 2 legit titles available...... by recognizing these new "interim" titles, you have devalued Monzon's achievements and lowered the standards within boxing.

Golovkin IS the best middleweight on the planet, no question, but he has beaten NOBODY of note..... and yet now he is included in discussions alongside Monzon, despite not actually beating any noteworthy opponents, simply because of lesser "interim" titles, that did not even exist during Monzons era?

That is more than a headache.... that makes me (a 3, nearly 4, decade boxing vet) really look forward to the McGregor/Diaz fight coming soon.

I love boxing for its history, among other things, so it is very difficult to watch history being eroded and devalued by these bull**** "achievements".

Pac also got "awarded" a featherweight title, despite never actually winning one..... we seem so eager to heap accolades and lineage on fighters just because we like them, so that they inflate existing achievements.

Back in the day some fighters would have cut off one of their fingers to get their chance at greatness, and then they still had to front up and earn it..... now, we just give it away.

#disappointed
    That's why I took the time to explain the caveats. Monzon is the only number that really counts. Hopkins didn't do what he did either. That's why I recognize different numbers on the ratings for Hopkins and Monzon.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
      That's why I took the time to explain the caveats. Monzon is the only number that really counts. Hopkins didn't do what he did either. That's why I recognize different numbers on the ratings for Hopkins and Monzon.
      Why do you bother with that moronic poser? Not only is he too stupid to process your response, but also this "sanctity of belts" phony wants Canelo vs Ggg at 155 for 3 belts + lineal.

But you might as well explain how the hell you got Ward above Pac p4p tsk tsk

Comment

Fair call, but the waters are getting pretty muddy for the casual fans.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
          Why do you bother with that moronic poser? Not only is he too stupid to process your response, but also this "sanctity of belts" phony wants Canelo vs Ggg at 155 for 3 belts + lineal.

But you might as well explain how the hell you got Ward above Pac p4p tsk tsk

casual pacstain, I think that most of the belts today are ****, and not worth the paper they are printed on..... that was actually my entire point, foolio.

Canelo holding middleweight hardware as well as the lineal title, despite never actually fighting a middleweight opponent, kinda proves that..... don't ya thunk?

Hey, do you still vehemently support manny-weight, whilst bashing canelo-weight, in the same sentence?

Comment

Going into the fight, the site had Pac and TB 1-2 with the title vacant. That fills a vacancy, same as it did with Crawford-Beltran. The only other guy who has any real case at 47 IMO is Brook but there just isn't enough there yet. Ring doesn't concur. Folks can feel free to debate this one. Be a better debate if the guys you name had taken tougher challenges in the last year. As is, It was consistent with the way things are always done.

As to GGG, addressed his #s issue previously: http://www.boxingscene.com/-golovkin-catch-hopkins-defense-record-160--94855
            OK forget about the Ward vs Pac ranking, that one might be too loaded. But how about this technical one:

If Canelo drops his belt for not wanting to face mando above 155, is he still lineal? If so, how long does he get to be lineal at 155? Mostly curious if Pac has a chance at that 6th lineal belt in may 2017, but interesting nonetheless

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
              OK forget about the Ward vs Pac ranking, that one might be too loaded. But how about this technical one:

If Canelo drops his belt for not wanting to face mando above 155, is he still lineal? If so, how long does he get to be lineal at 155? Mostly curious if Pac has a chance at that 6th lineal belt in may 2017, but interesting nonetheless

Stop being silly willya.....

Hell will freeze over before Pac gets in the ring with Canelo.

The only reason why Manny fought Bradley the first time is because he refused to rematch Cotto at 150..... Pac demanded 147, and the fight fell over because of the weight.... despite Cotto being Pac's first-choice opponent.

So the chance of Pac fighting Canelo is 0, cry yourself off to sleep.

Comment

Working...
              X