No announcement yet.

Marijuana and boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marijuana and boxing

Hey everyone so I am amateur boxer getting ready for the NY Golden gloves. I have been a daily smoker of marijuana for quite some time with breaks here and there for several months at a time. I currently haven't smoked for over a month and really would like to as I do find it has benefits that I won't go into. I just really also would like to be at my best and don't know if smoking once or twice a week would really hinder my focus and ability.

I know there are plenty of professional fighters who love to smoke marijuana. There is also a lot of new evidence suggesting that it helps with head trauma by the chemical cbd's ability to reduce inflammation that would occur in the brain, and frankly I find personally that smoking after a spar eases the effects, though it may be placebo. However, it might interrupt one's mental focus, readiness and alertness.

So I am asking opinions ONLY from people who actually boxed and have smoked marijuana daily at some point or another because if you haven't you really don't have any evidence to validate your opinion. So please only respond and participate in the poll if you have experience on the matter.
    I have smoked and boxed before and think it makes you worse
    62.50%
    I have smoked and boxed before and think it does not make you worse
    25.00%
    I have smoked and boxed before and really don't know to each their own
    12.50%

nothing can take your focus away, either you want to box or you want to get high what do you want to focus on?

and you should stop smoking not necceassarily stop marijuana just eat it or soemthing keep those lungs fresh

Comment

I made a pretty long post about it in the training forum (where this thread belongs...) and won't repeat it here. But to summarize, don't spar or fight high. I do bagwork stoned all the time, and my trainer tells us if we are serious about fighting you don't smoke period, but as long as you aren't stoned in sparring and actual fights you can get away with it if you are disciplined enough. The loss of reflexes and distraction it causes can succome you to a hellacious beating if you aren't careful. Really, doing anything counter productive to your performance as an athlete is just plain foolish. Smoke on your own time and do serious gym work and competitions sober, well slept, hydrated etc.

Comment

Sounds like a horrible idea to either train, spar, or fight with weed. Hell if your a fighter, you probably shouldn't be smoking very much at all, it would do more harm than good. Takes focus away, effects memory(muscle memory is very important), and to some extent effects work ethic. If your sparring or fighting with weed, that is extra dangerous, but that is the general thought process of many trainers

Comment

I boxed and I used to smoke marijuana every day for many years (i quitted in 2011) so it happened almost every time that I trained the same day after having smoked blunts several hours before. Of course when I had an amateur match on saturday I didn't smoke for few days before.

Needlessly to say that smoking pot doesn't help you in boxing, both for your reflexes and for your stamina and aggressiveness, it makes you dizzy and low energy. THC half life is pretty long in your body so even if you don't feel the effects it stays around for couple days and can result in minor body effects.
          Last edited by Helm; 12-18-2015, 01:01 PM.

Comment

no drugs or alcohol if you gonna take boxing serious....

at least imo
            STREET CLEANER STREET CLEANER likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by !WAR CANELO! View Post
              nothing can take your focus away, either you want to box or you want to get high what do you want to focus on?

and you should stop smoking not necceassarily stop marijuana just eat it or soemthing keep those lungs fresh
              I laughed Idk why.

Comment

when you fail to make weight, its because of the munchies

Comment

If you're going to box do it all the way or not at all. We Can't Say Whether Weed WILL hinder your ability but why take a risk. Strive to be clean like hopkins take care of your body 110%

Comment

Nevertheless, cannabis is so ubiquitous that it is simply unrealistic to ban it, otherwise professional sports would have to be banned as well

Comment

Working...
                    X