Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Hagler didn't fight orthodox early on vs Leonard, would he have won?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Hagler didn't fight orthodox early on vs Leonard, would he have won?

And why did he do it?

I think he tried it because it worked in other fights and he was pretty good at it. Fighters train to fight a certain style and then see another, that is another reason. I always thought if Hagler was more aggressive and didn't try to box Leonard it might have turned out different.

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
      And why did he do it?

Its not like he looked particularly amazing when he was southpaw either in that fight.

Hagler was old and slow that night.......he didn't look anything like his usual self even in the rounds he won.

Now if 1985 Hagler showed up for 'that' Leonard I think we'd have got a different result whether he started orthodox or not.

Leonard caught him at the perfect time. Even if Hagler had shaded the decision.....fans would be calling for his retirement. He never previously had looked as bad as he looked that night.

His handspeed was not there, he barely slipped a punch all night. He was made to miss wildly. All that remained was his terrific chin, heart, physique and fitness.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
        Its not like he looked particularly amazing when he was southpaw either in that fight.

Hagler was old and slow that night.......he didn't look anything like his usual self even in the rounds he won.

Now if 1985 Hagler showed up for 'that' Leonard I think we'd have got a different result whether he started orthodox or not.

Leonard caught him at the perfect time. Even if Hagler had shaded the decision.....fans would be calling for his retirement. He never previously had looked as bad as he looked that night.

His handspeed was not there, he barely slipped a punch all night. He was made to miss wildly. All that remained was his terrific chin, heart, physique and fitness.
        Absolutely........

He'd struggled with Mugabi in the run up to Leonard, and was well on the slide

Comment

Who's to say that his switch back to southpaw didn't help him out in the fight in a certain way though. He tried everything he could to beat leonard that night and I don't think he could have done any better with a different aproach. I also agree that he was on the slide.

Comment

Hagler took Leonard lightly unless he missed the Kevin Howard fight.

Comment

No... I honestly think the war with hearns took a lot out of hagler.. Yes he won but he had to walk thru hell for it, and took huge shots from hearns. Afterwards I feel hagler never had that extra gear to turn up and hunt guys down.. He seemed to have slower reflexes and could get his shots off as much.. Hagler preserved vs Mugabi but had a tougher time than most thought..

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                No... I honestly think the war with hearns took a lot out of hagler.. Yes he won but he had to walk thru hell for it, and took huge shots from hearns. Afterwards I feel hagler never had that extra gear to turn up and hunt guys down.. He seemed to have slower reflexes and could get his shots off as much.. Hagler preserved vs Mugabi but had a tougher time than most thought..
                I have said before, if it was hearns-hagler 2 instead of hagler-Ray, I think tommy could stay on his bike and out point hagler, that's how much I think hagler has slowed

Comment

I think it was more a case of hagler just being a shade past his best more than anything ... a shade slower reactions a shade slower foot work etc. Leonard timed the contest perfectly.

Comment

He may have won..the fight was so close,any little edge would have made the
                    difference.Hagler was trying to do reverse psychology with Leonard.The truth
                    is that Hagler's game plan was very good;three more rounds and Leonard
                    would have been toast.Hagler's plan was to attack the body because he
                    knew Ray would be ducking and slipping so punching to Leonard,s face
                    would be futile;Problem is that Hagler ran out of time.

Comment

Working...
                    X