• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Watson vs Jermain Taylor

@ 160

Who wins and how?

Jermain Taylor rather easily.

Comment

At his best at middleweight Taylor was rightly one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world. His fights with Hopkins and Wright confirm this......

Michael Watson was a very good middleweight who would have won a world title in a less talented era; but honestly he actually looked his best ever in the Eubank rematch up at super middleweight.

I think that prime Jermain Taylor would likely win a decision of the 116-112 or 117-111 variety against middleweight Michael Watson, he was just that bit slicker/faster/heavier handed.

Comment

I disagree. I think this is definitely a fight Watson could win. Very strong, big, good fundamentals, smart with good stamina and excellent power. Tight guard that was hard to get through. McVallum said it was one of his harder fights. He was probably more suited to 168 though. It's a pick em for me with a slight edge to Taylor.

Going by styles I'd say Watson, but going by names id say Taylor. Watson with Benn, Christie and close fights with Eubanks. Taylor with Hopkins. I think he lost against Writght and that's probably the closest fight to it, but Watson was bigger, stronger, more power and more active at 160. Similar defense, though not as slick and jab based as Wink. The more I think about it, the more I think Watson could win it.

SD to Watson for me.

Comment

watson for sure, way too skilled and smart for jermain. he could almost match jermain in terms of athletic gifts too which is quite rare. then again i had jermain losing to wright and both hopkins fights so i dont rate him all that high. watson on the other hand i think is very underrated, the more i think about it the more i feel he would destroy taylor.

Comment

I would say the best Taylor beats the best Watson, just with his jab & speed.

Watson at his best when a fighter comes at him, a la Benn.

I remember the week before they fought in Finsbury Park, EVERYONE was talking about it. A bloke I worked with reckoned he was a big boxing fan so I ask him who do you think is going to win at the weekend. "Who's fighting?" he asked.

"Benn Watson".

"Oh yeah, who against?"

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
              I disagree. I think this is definitely a fight Watson could win. Very strong, big, good fundamentals, smart with good stamina and excellent power. Tight guard that was hard to get through. McVallum said it was one of his harder fights. He was probably more suited to 168 though. It's a pick em for me with a slight edge to Taylor.

Going by styles I'd say Watson, but going by names id say Taylor. Watson with Benn, Christie and close fights with Eubanks. Taylor with Hopkins. I think he lost against Writght and that's probably the closest fight to it, but Watson was bigger, stronger, more power and more active at 160. Similar defense, though not as slick and jab based as Wink. The more I think about it, the more I think Watson could win it.

SD to Watson for me.
              No middleweight is bigger than Taylor @160

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
                No middleweight is bigger than Taylor @160
                Michael Nunn was. Kelly Pavlik was. Bernard Hopkins was.

Comment

Working...
                X