• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NVSemin View Post
    Because No Gays allowed in Russia

ahahha... end of the thread

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
      You really think American/Western athletes don't put an emphasis on strength and weight training? Lol!

Alot of what you suggest will have a limited positive effect, you should try it yourself so you can see that I am right and you are wrong.

Strength training explosive work etc can have a positive effect on power, and even endurance (strength base) if following a periodization plan, but most people do it incorrectly and end up hurting their performance especially their cardio.

Also if you do both explosive/strength work and endurance work together, alot of the intermediate muscle fibres get turned into slow twitch, the body prioritises endurance over explosiveness/strength when both types of exercise are done regularly, that's why you should never try to build a puncher out of a guy that's largely intermediate twitch, hes better off as a high work rate fighter.

So again you are giving out poor advice to alot of people.
      Im confused to exactly what youre arguing against...

I agree few people follow decent periodization plans and we both agree concurrent training has little benefits. Can you please share some of your references regarding it?

Comment

Originally posted by Coach Foulds View Post
        Im confused to exactly what youre arguing against...

I agree few people follow decent periodization plans and we both agree concurrent training has little benefits. Can you please share some of your references regarding it?
        You are trying to build a puncher, most of what you talk about is geared towards increasing power, this is a dumb way to train boxers.

Comment

Originally posted by Suckmedry View Post
          We had a coach who had fled russia for political reasons. He was schooled in the soviet system and said he'd had around 150 fights. Think he said he was soviet military WW champ at one point too. said politics stopped him making olympics. Of course he could have been BSing but the dude knew his boxing inside out and he seemed legit so we believed him. He just walked into our gym one day and said "i am boxing coach in russia i want to be boxing coach here too"

One of his biggest emphasis was on power and transferring your weight, and also delivering that final "snap" on the punch. He was fanatical about punching technique and would make you repeat punches x1000 more than any other coach.

His reasoning was that a puncher is always in the fight, so being able to deliver a KO punch was essential.

He seemed to favour two styles. If were suited to punch, he tried to emphasise controlled aggression and deliberate punches think of kostya tszyu or golovkin.

If you were suited to box, he emphasised elusive defence that left both hands free to counter. A snappy turned over jab too. He taught me several very useful counters, especially off the jab or a hook.

I see elements of his style in many ex-ussr nation fighters. Particuarly tszyu, golovkin and lomachenko. the way they bring the rear foot forwards, and their technique. golovkin would have been textbook perfect to him.

He was a great coach, though it was admittedly very boring training under him at times, and the language barrier hindered it. I can only imagine what he could have taught us could he speak fluent english. His english was terrible, he had to carry around a english-russian dictionary around and would always reference it

good bloke though, a very hard man who i respected. he ended up being deported for coming to australia illegally.

Anyway the point of my long post is that they seem to really train picture perfect technique over there, and highly value the KO punch when delivered with timing and preparation.
          Bump.. but this is really interesting info man

Comment

I would say their balance plays a big role. Not very often do they over extend or throw from less than optimal positions.

Comment

Tendon /ligament strength plays huge keys in hitting hard because they help absorb the impact of a blow when energy is transferred back after impact ,they connect muscle and skeleton structure .In my experience competing in some strength competitions , Russians were some of the strongest ppl ive encountered no matter the size . This is probably genetics for the most part , a puncher who is trained to execute k.o blows with extreme tendon strength should hit hard ,the Russians seem to have aknack of exceeded physically in many areas and imop its genetics and great traing concepts put together.

Comment

I think all about style. Less elagant, less mobile, so they are so stable and powerful.
                Their priority is power and mechanics when training, i've seen so much of them in the gym.
                You don''t see them dancing, rolling, jabbing pop pop pop. Step in and unload.

Comment

Working...
                X