Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone read the book 1984? What other science fiction books would you recommend?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theres a movie of Mothernight too that was pretty good. Nick nolte was in it iirc.

Comment

Originally posted by KillerStephen View Post
      1984 is probably my favorite book. I see alot of people calling it sci fi, personally while it may be sci fi by definition i read it more for the political message behind it. It is that view that makes me love that book so much. Alot of the would be sci fi parts are now a reality, and many of them arent far from being real in the near future.

Some really good recommendations in this thread.

I will add catch 22, animal farm(good and short...), and mothernight. Dont really fit as sci fi, but books i highly recommend.
      green k, kinda similar to lord of the flies this one

Comment

1984 is probably my favorite book. I see alot of people calling it sci fi, personally while it may be sci fi by definition i read it more for the political message behind it. It is that view that makes me love that book so much. Alot of the would be sci fi parts are now a reality, and many of them arent far from being real in the near future.

Some really good recommendations in this thread.

I will add catch 22, animal farm(good and short...), and mothernight. Dont really fit as sci fi, but books i highly recommend.
        This is the list I saw it in.

http://home.austarnet.com.au/petersy...oks_rank1.html

It's #5 out of top 100 sci fi books.

Comment

I'm surprised Carl Sagan has only one book in a top 100 sci fi novel list. Contact is a great movie, and the novel of a movie is usually 10 times better. I should get that book too.

Man I gotta get a lot of books.

Comment

1984 is probably my favorite book. I see alot of people calling it sci fi, personally while it may be sci fi by definition i read it more for the political message behind it.
            Examples abound of science fiction with a political message. In fact more serious sci fi has a political message than doesn't.

It is that view that makes me love that book so much. Alot of the would be sci fi parts are now a reality, and many of them arent far from being real in the near future.
            Again there are myriad examples of science fiction being a predictor of science fact.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
              ****in A.

Theres always the bible too, Im far from religious, but the story is pretty epic, and theres no shortage of free bibles around.

Plus you said you like sci fi...

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                I'm surprised Carl Sagan has only one book in a top 100 sci fi novel list. Contact is a great movie, and the novel of a movie is usually 10 times better. I should get that book too.

Sagan was a scientist first and a novelist second. Most of his books are non-fiction.

Comment

I'm reading the books the Game of Thrones is based on right now. Great books.

Comment

****in A.

Theres always the bible too, Im far from religious, but the story is pretty epic, and theres no shortage of free bibles around.

Plus you said you like sci fi...
                    I don't recommend it - for a start there is no coherent story. I mean Genesis and Exodus at least attempt a sense of continuity but then it descends into lists of people, rules and regs, and nonsensical side plots that don't go anywhere. As a single narrative it's an absolute bloody mess.

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
                      Examples abound of science fiction with a political message. In fact more serious sci fi has a political message than doesn't.

Again there are myriad examples of science fiction being a predictor of science fact.
                      Only meant to illustrate that I'm not much of a sci fi fan really. I suppose I couldve been more clear.

Comment

Working...
                      X