Collapse
No announcement yet.

Points off for pushing ? a new thing ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the ref says not to do something, you listen. Khan was warned, its his bad.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
      Whether it's the rule or not is irrelevant? Irrelevant? Really?

What Ali did is ancient history, and yes, he should have been docked points for many things he used to do, but does that suddenly make all rules obsolete? Just because one fighter didn't get points taken off for doing it? So head butting is ok now because Hopkins gets away with it? Low blowing is perfectly fine and the rules against are irrelevant because Mares gets away with it? That's what you're arguing.

Don't be such a ****ing tool mate. That is the single worst case I've heard for Khan and this fight yet. It is a rule for a reason. If it doesn't get enforced enough then that doesn't change the fact that you cannot shove someone off. It's just dangerous for one, and there were times when I thought he was going to push Peterson literally off his feet. You just can't do that. It's not an irrelevant rule, it's a bloody good one. In boxing you have to fight out, or use certain skills to get out of a clinch. Just shoving off creates too many intangibles that could go wrong. Very, very few fighters in history have shoved guys off them as blatantly as Khan did last night, and other nights. Also, if you have sooooo many fights and are such a wealth of boxing knowledge you should know that this has always been enforced in fights. I have rarely seen someone use it as blatantly as Khan did though and keep using even after been warned constantly and then have points deducted. That's the big difference. Usually fighters get warned, then stop. I have seen many, many fights in which a fighter has been warned to stop shoving off, but I have not seen many that did it so full on like Khan.

'The rules are irrelevant'.

It's good to finally see someone enforcing these lesser enforced rules because they can ruin fights when it doesn't happen. The holding behind the head is one of the worst and Khan should have been docked more points for that than the pushing even.

I just love that one though. 'The rules are irrelevant because Ali also pushed'.
      truth spoke rite here, man!

seriously i dunno what ppls arguments are, khan should be allowed to get away from shots by pushing? thats not boxing. u box your way out. u should not be allowed to push a guy away everytime they get close to u. that makes no damn sense, and that was exactly what khan was doing. theres no argument for why at least one of the points wasnt a fair deduction. i think ppl hear **** on hbo and then they run with it without knowing any better. what khan was doing was *****made, that **** was so blatant as well.
      Last edited by Kagami Taiga; 12-11-2011, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky=Ward View Post
        Peterson did the exact same thing when Khan was on the ropes. Whats with you guys ignoring that?
        Because doing it once or twice is very different from doing it over and over and over and over and over.....despite warnings repeatedly. Maybe you missed it but Peterson got warned also. However, he wasn't holding and hitting, he wasn't shoving Khan's head down repeatedly and he wasn't elbowing him in the face.

Peterson didn't stop Khan from fighting his fight by using tactics that are against the rules. Khan stopped Peterson fighting his fight by using tactics that are against the rules. Think about that for a minute. Let it slowly sink. Seems like it could take a while, but I'm sure you'll get there eventually.
        Last edited by BennyST; 12-11-2011, 10:55 PM.

Comment

For years, I've heard people complain that "rule bending" and permissive cheating have been killing boxing. Now a ref actually has the balls to do something about it and he's branded incompetent. I do feel that the lack of a hard warning (IE; "Once more and I'll take away a point") was a very poor choice. But, all-in-all, it's a step in the right direction and I want to see more of it. Turn boxing back into a fight instead of a game.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
            If I remember correctly, Mayweather lost points for pushing off Castillo in their first fight.
            That was for elbowing.

Comment

It's in the rule book. I haven't seen the fight yet (my pay tv provider showed Jones vs Machida on PPV channel instead) but i suspect Khan wasn't very good at disguising the pushing he was doing, like alot of fighters who push are.

Comment

Originally posted by Furn View Post
                That was for elbowing.
                Mayweather was pushing off with the elbow, not throwing MMA elbow strikes. Khan pushed off with the elbow as well which warrented a warning.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                  Whether it's the rule or not is irrelevant? Irrelevant? Really?

What Ali did is ancient history, and yes, he should have been docked points for many things he used to do, but does that suddenly make all rules obsolete? Just because one fighter didn't get points taken off for doing it? So head butting is ok now because Hopkins gets away with it? Low blowing is perfectly fine and the rules against are irrelevant because Mares gets away with it? That's what you're arguing.

Don't be such a ****ing tool mate. That is the single worst case I've heard for Khan and this fight yet. It is a rule for a reason. If it doesn't get enforced enough then that doesn't change the fact that you cannot shove someone off. It's just dangerous for one, and there were times when I thought he was going to push Peterson literally off his feet. You just can't do that. It's not an irrelevant rule, it's a bloody good one. In boxing you have to fight out, or use certain skills to get out of a clinch. Just shoving off creates too many intangibles that could go wrong. Very, very few fighters in history have shoved guys off them as blatantly as Khan did last night, and other nights. Also, if you have sooooo many fights and are such a wealth of boxing knowledge you should know that this has always been enforced in fights. I have rarely seen someone use it as blatantly as Khan did though and keep using even after been warned constantly and then have points deducted. That's the big difference. Usually fighters get warned, then stop. I have seen many, many fights in which a fighter has been warned to stop shoving off, but I have not seen many that did it so full on like Khan.

'The rules are irrelevant'.

It's good to finally see someone enforcing these lesser enforced rules because they can ruin fights when it doesn't happen. The holding behind the head is one of the worst and Khan should have been docked more points for that than the pushing even.

I just love that one though. 'The rules are irrelevant because Ali also pushed'.
                  Clearly you've never refereed or umpired sport before.

A good ref or umpire will apply the rules according to what has been the standard in the sport, you dont apply the rule book literally.

In soccer it's illegal to grab a shirt or nudge, hold or push a player. Yet at every corner in every league around the world defenders do this. There is never a penalty given.

Now if a ref in a world cup game suddenly decides out of the blue to start giving penalties for this, is that good refereeing ?

Its the rules right ?

No, its not because you can't just come in and start cracking down on something that is tradionally let go.

This was a world title fight, both guys were pushing the limits but there was nothing blatantly bad. Just let them fight.

Comment

As always it will depend on the individual ref as to how much rule bending they allow, and also how it's affecting the fight. Generally if the pushing off or holding is excessive and not allowing the fight to flow you can expect deductions.

Fighters have been DQ'd for excessive holding and pushing off in the past and rightfully so in most of those instances. Can't comment on this particular fight yet, i'll probably watch tonight, but if it's excessive and above all not well disguised Khan has no one to blame but himself. Dirty fighting and rule bending is a skill just like any other. Some pro fighters don't even know how to hold a guy when they are in trouble, ditto holding, pushing and dirty fighting, some guys just can't disguise it.

Comment

I think that 2 points getting taken from Khan was fair. I would have taken the points for holding and for the blatant punch on the break. So He took them for pushing which is also a foul. So I don't mind. Khan was holding and holding Lamont's head down for no reason, headlocking and pushing, and pushing his head down while trying to turn him. On the other hand the knockdown was a no knockdown but Lamont had a knockdown called on him unfairly so. I think the ref did a good job, although I would have deducted the points for different fouls.

Comment

Working...
                      X