No announcement yet.

Fighters who brought themselves to hell in training

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighters who brought themselves to hell in training

We all know that boxers are probably the hardest training athletes there is when in preparation for a fight but does anyone have any fighters they know of who went above others in training intensity.Ive heard Valeros training camps were the stuff of legend also when with Capetillio Margarito would do some very intense training also have heard Juan Urango had tough camps.Anybody got their own nominations?

I've heard Rocky Marciano used to work like a beast in training. Im sure all the great champions worked really hard in training to achieve their goal.

Comment

Marvelous Marvin Hagler would train in the isolation of Provincetown, MA (go look on a map)...setting up his camp in the last room of the last hotel, the Provincetown Inn.

Comment

I heard Salvador Sanchez training was insane, also JCC sr. as well.

Comment

Is it necessary to "bring yourself to hell" in training? I've read stories, throughout the years, about fighters "overtraining" which lead to a less-than-desireable performance in the ring..

I guess my question is, does a fighter have to push himself to the brink in training camp?

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
            Is it necessary to "bring yourself to hell" in training? I've read stories, throughout the years, about fighters "overtraining" which lead to a less-than-desireable performance in the ring..

I guess my question is, does a fighter have to push himself to the brink in training camp?
            Depends on the fighter. I've heard fighters say that it helps because there is no way the actual fight will tax them physically the way training did. But we've seen others overtrain and be spent on fight night.

Comment

Im not saying it's necessary but for some fighters their style depened on gruelling training for instance Margarito with Capetillio wanted Margarito thrwoing punches constantly so he would kill him in training camp.

Comment

Originally posted by fitefanSHO View Post
                Marvelous Marvin Hagler would train in the isolation of Provincetown, MA (go look on a map)...setting up his camp in the last room of the last hotel, the Provincetown Inn.
                Good shout Hagler was a beast

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
                  I heard Salvador Sanchez training was insane, also JCC sr. as well.
                  Ya man Sanchez was an amazing athlete even outside of training for fights he would be exercising like a beast

Comment

no way. if you're always in decent shape it should be more about the gameplan and strategy as opposed to intense workouts. i say good sparring is the key, and not a TON of it.

i think its silly for fighters to go through a whole training camp, fight gets cancelled, start from square one and do a new camp.

Comment

Working...
                    X