Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking out a southpaws liver? The southpaw disadvantage?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking out a southpaws liver? The southpaw disadvantage?

Lets say u r orthodox and you wanna take out a southpaw via his liver, its actually quite close to you, and yours is quite far away from him.

My question is can you as an orthodox fighter get to the liver with a left shovel hook to the body? Or Cant you get to the liver from that side?

Also a straight right to the liver must be a golden ticket for killing a southpaw correct?

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
    Lets say u r orthodox and you wanna take out a southpaw via his liver, its actually quite close to you, and yours is quite far away from him.

My question is can you as an orthodox fighter get to the liver with a left shovel hook to the body? Or Cant you get to the liver from that side?

Also a straight right to the liver must be a golden ticket for killing a southpaw correct?
    This is the first thread of yours with a very deep and serious question.

I always think about this question and cannot explain to myself why right hand fighters at the top level never (in my memory) try to deliberately capitalize on this disadvantage of a southpaw positioning.

Comment

Originally posted by NVSemin View Post

I always think about this question and cannot explain to myself why right hand fighters at the top level never (in my memory) try to deliberately capitalize on this disadvantage of a southpaw positioning.
      Watch Floyd vs Guerrero

Comment

slip outside his jab and throw a left rip to the body, or slip and throw a right hand to the body simultaneously (can get tons of power into that)

Comment

Originally posted by One more round View Post
          slip outside his jab and throw a left rip to the body, or slip and throw a right hand to the body simultaneously (can get tons of power into that)
          Nice! Cheers bro!!

Comment

Originally posted by NVSemin View Post

Thanks man!

Comment

Ok it looks like an orthodox left hook on that side to the liver wouldn't work too well because it is protected by the ribs.

The orthodox straight right to the liver could work well if you get the angle right, slightly tricky to get the angle though.

If they squared up could you hit the liver also with a straight right. e.g. countering the straight left with a duck + a straight right
              Last edited by AlexKid; 01-28-2015, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Ok it looks like an orthodox left hook on that side to the liver wouldn't work too well because it is protected by the ribs.

The orthodox straight right to the liver could work well if you get the angle right, slightly tricky to get the angle though.

If they squared up could you hit the liver also with a straight right. e.g. countering the straight left with a duck + a straight right
                Good point actually. The rip to the ribs can still cause damage though if you get the leverage. The right could also go to the solar plexus or heart which can cause almost as much damage.

I have limited experience vs southpaws, only fought a couple, but from my experience you wanna work off their lead hand, instead of trying to counter their left, a southpaws left is a dangerous punch, comes from a weird angle. first southpaw i fought busted my nose up good in the first cause i couldn't get out of the way of his left.

Basic rules i was taught vs a southpaw:

Circle mainly to the right, try get your lead foot outside theirs as this opens up the right hand counter. (the slip counter right to the head works too)

Back them up and be aggressive with your jab so nullify theirs, and keep trying to open the angle to get that right hand in, even if you take a few, letting a southpaw dictate the pace is bad, especially since many tend to be fast handed as well and when they back you up you can be in all sorts of trouble.

Look for the counter hook over their lead hand, try spinning with the hook also as this opens him up for your right too.

But of course many southpaws are counter punchers so you gotta protect yourself with high hands when you look for these openings.

Circle left sometimes too, but drop back a little and try draw his left out and counter that with your right.

And of course plenty have a good right hook too, so its tricky business really.

Watch how Mayweather adopted the high guard and walked judah down. Thats how you fight a southpaw.
                Last edited by Suckmedry; 01-28-2015, 08:02 AM.

Comment

wow it only took you two years to make a 1 star thread.. keep going man

P.S are you in a wheelchair,housebound or in jail possibly? because your threads must take time to think up

Comment

This is another really good thread and i've always wondered this **** too

Comment

Working...
                    X