Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why were there no tall heavyweights......

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

umm?

jack johnson was called the "galveston giant."

he was extremely tall for the period.

HW have always been big and tall. people are getting bigger and taller. in classic greece and even sparta, men averaged just over 100 lbs, and only about 5'3". that was around 2500 years ago.

Comment

Anyone who knows boxing knows Tyson was NOT an inside fighter!
      He pressured and worked when his opponents backs hit the ropes but Tyson NEVER fought inside and he actually initiated most clinches when opponents got close when in the center of the ring!!! Once again your yaking but don't know what your saying!
      Talent over rides size then you have natural power punchers who have great successes even with less talents (Foreman) Read & learn stop trying to impress you don't know squat! Ray

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        umm?

jack johnson was called the "galveston giant."

he was extremely tall for the period.

HW have always been big and tall. people are getting bigger and taller. in classic greece and even sparta, men averaged just over 100 lbs, and only about 5'3". that was around 2500 years ago.
        so I spose in another 100 years will all be spending money on bigger doors to fit through. I honestly don't believe that there were no giants, evolution is not that quick. My grandad was alive then and he was a lot taller than me. I personally believe that guys like lewis and klitchko are not naturally fighters mentally, more passive and they wouldn't of taken up boxing back then coz there was no defencive wizards that they could aspire to. i think as ray said lol they were still competive and had skills and would probably take up another sport......like basketball

Comment

also the fact that countries are very mixed these days, so you get dna from all over the world who come into America and europe

Comment

I am 6'3" born1976
            4 uncles 3 are taller than me one is 6'6" born 1948
            6 great uncles born in the 20's 4 are taller than me one is still 6'5" and he is almost 90 years old my great grand father and his two brothers all three born in the 1800's all over 6'3" it's not evolution it is standard not everyone boxes

Comment

There were they just weren't very good

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                in classic greece and even sparta, men averaged just over 100 lbs, and only about 5'3". that was around 2500 years ago.
                Don't know where you got that information from but it's wrong.

The avg height males buried in Italy from about 400 BC to 400AD was about 5'6" and that includes periods of extreme malnutrition and starvation as well as slaves brought from who-knows-where.

In De Re Militari declares that no soldier should be less than 172 cm (about 5'8"
                )
                We know the Roman long shield was about 4' and we see many pictures and statues of these soldiers. The shields go from mid-calf to about the shoulder making the soldier no less than 5'6".

There was a great variance in height due to periods of starvation. Nobles had a huge advantage over peasants in that their mothers tended to be well fed, and they, as babies, were well fed too - in contrast to peasant families who, in poor times, suffered from extreme malnutrition.

Comment

It's population genetics and a little bit of nutrition. It isn't evolution. There are more people now, which means more tall people. Because there are more total tall people, there are more tall people with great athleticism total, and all of those people have access to boxing all over the planet if they seek it, unlike in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by bklynboy View Post
                    Don't know where you got that information from but it's wrong.

The avg height males buried in Italy from about 400 BC to 400AD was about 5'6" and that includes periods of extreme malnutrition and starvation as well as slaves brought from who-knows-where.

In De Re Militari declares that no soldier should be less than 172 cm (about 5'8"
                    )
                    We know the Roman long shield was about 4' and we see many pictures and statues of these soldiers. The shields go from mid-calf to about the shoulder making the soldier no less than 5'6".

There was a great variance in height due to periods of starvation. Nobles had a huge advantage over peasants in that their mothers tended to be well fed, and they, as babies, were well fed too - in contrast to peasant families who, in poor times, suffered from extreme malnutrition.

college. classical greek was a huge part of my curriculum at university. we had to have socio/political context from the period for it to make any sense. that was information given to me by a classics professor, who i can assure you knows more about the period than you do. 130 lbs was the average. these were tiny men.

if you're looking at buried bodies you're probably talking about nobility. the men in the entry level of the army in sparta [or anywhere else] were poorly fed, would be viciously overtrained by adulthood. they wouldn't be healthy and robust like the wealthy people who are being burried.

rofl @ your "picture evidence."

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
                      It's population genetics and a little bit of nutrition. It isn't evolution. There are more people now, which means more tall people. Because there are more total tall people, there are more tall people with great athleticism total, and all of those people have access to boxing all over the planet if they seek it, unlike in the past.

fewer people box today than 50 years ago. there's something else going on beyond the amount of people on the planet increasing.

women like tall men. people are getting taller.

Comment

Working...
                      X