Pros who had a short amateur career or

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im pretty sure Liston didnt have many fights at amateur

Comment

I fought the amatuers out of the same gym as Toney, we even had the same trainer back then. I saw him have 5 or 6 amatuer fights. Then he left the gym and started up with another gym where I heard he won a PAL National. But he didnt have awhole lot of amatuer experience although he was always around the gyms from what I had heard. Bill Miller incorporating the shoulder rolls into James game is what put himover the top.......Rockin'

Comment

Probably been mentioned but Tim Witherspoon had just a few amateur fights.

And even though J.C. Chavez didn't have much amateur experiance, most of his first 40 pro bouts were against amateurs.

Comment

bumppppppppppp

Comment

Originally posted by GAME2010 View Post
            I think teddy atlas said on fnr4 tyson has 56 amateur fights?? i think it was 56

a lot is over 25, well thats what i would class it
            then toney had alot by your definition, he had over 30 fights as an amateur. i think it was 35 to be exact.

duran, saddler and mccall had very few amateur fights.

like mentioned alot of mexicans had little amateur experience bcuz they usually turn pro so young. like salvador sanchez, ricardo lopez and cuevas amongst the others already mentioned.

i heard ricardo lopez was undefeated as an amateur in the few fights he did have. idk if its true but if it is he never lost a fight in his life. its a damn shame how under appreciated he gets.

Comment

Billy Conn - top 25 all time great, NO amateur background.

Comment

Originally posted by catalinul View Post
                Obviously all the guys who turned pro as teens...Juan Diaz....Erik Morales....Marco Antonio Barrera....Wilfred Benitez.....Jorge Arce.......Julio Cesar Chavez sr. and jr....etc.
                Barrera had over 100 amateur fights and a multiple Mexican champion.
                Morales had over 100 fights too and was a multiple Mexican national champion. Juan Diaz had a similar record aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post

i heard ricardo lopez was undefeated as an amateur in the few fights he did have. idk if its true but if it is he never lost a fight in his life. its a damn shame how under appreciated he gets.
                  I think Lopez was 80+/0 as an amateur.

The fact he fought in boxing's least glamorous division and is probably the only straw weight you casual boxing fan could name doesn't help his lack of appreciation. I'm sure anybody who saw him fight knows how good he was.

Comment

Working...
                  X