No announcement yet.

What are the top

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PitbullParsons View Post
    There's a difference between strength training with weights and putting on muscle mass. If you are strength training for boxing you would do roughly 60% of your max for a high rep. This builds strength without bulking up too much. If you are doing this in conjunction with your boxing training then you won't have any issues provided you aren't slacking on your boxing training. Weights in boxing are ALWAYS supplementary and never a main focus.

As for everything you said about being all the muscle mass you need to fight, nobody denied that, but you can only add so much strength that way. The average boxer training maxes himself out on strength via those methods. As I said before, you are mainly training muscle endurance at that point.
    You gotta stay light and fast in there. And strong. Pushups pull ups and running are ideal for that. Then you put it all together on the h bag. I don't like over complicating things.

Don't know if you watched american ninja warrior or not might laugh at the concept, but nearly all those guys that actually win or come close to winning have only the muscle mass they need to maneuver the course and not weigh themselves down in the process.

It's similar in the sport of boxing... nearly all your most powerful punchers..hearns, srr..Julian jackson.. Tito and so forth had lots of lean muscle and elasticity... muscles on top of muscle can LOOK good and all that jazz.. but it really isn't all that effective and doesn't convert to power on a 1:1 ratio.

You gotta stay light fluid fast and strong. And work out and train in ways that is conducive to that end. I don't even accept that pushups don't build strength anyway. They don't STACK loads of muscle..but the muscle they do form is very strong and efficient.

Comment

If you want more of a challenge from push ups and want to get stronger and more explosive you can mix in:

Clapping Push ups - great for explosive strength
      Archer Push ups - great for strength
      One-arm Push ups - strength -more advanced difficulty than archer push ups

Do 1 of those exercises and then follow it up with your regular push up routine.

For Chin ups you can make them harder by doing Archer Pull ups(advanced) and One-arm chin ups (very advanced)

Comment

Originally posted by Syf View Post
        You gotta stay light and fast in there. And strong. Pushups pull ups and running are ideal for that. Then you put it all together on the h bag. I don't like over complicating things.

Don't know if you watched american ninja warrior or not might laugh at the concept, but nearly all those guys that actually win or come close to winning have only the muscle mass they need to maneuver the course and not weigh themselves down in the process.

It's similar in the sport of boxing... nearly all your most powerful punchers..hearns, srr..Julian jackson.. Tito and so forth had lots of lean muscle and elasticity... muscles on top of muscle can LOOK good and all that jazz.. but it really isn't all that effective and doesn't convert to power on a 1:1 ratio.

You gotta stay light fluid fast and strong. And work out and train in ways that is conducive to that end. I don't even accept that pushups don't build strength anyway. They don't STACK loads of muscle..but the muscle they do form is very strong and efficient.
        Did you even read what I said or are you just ignoring it on purpose? Med-low weight and high rep doesn't build much in muscle mass, it improves more so in strength and conditioning. Doing what you are saying limits you. You are clearly stuck in the '60s or something. You can lift weights and not lose any speed. You can gain it if you lift explosively. As stated, if you focus on weights and not your boxing training, then you start to have issues, but not as a supplementary workout.

The fighters you listed had power yes, but the reason they looked so powerful is their timing and accuracy. Power is only 1/3rd the equation of a KO punch. There's a reason so many KOs look like they come off a light punch.

Comment

Originally posted by ironalex View Post
          Exercises to improve power and strength?

Sledgehammer tyre,
          Push ups,
          Pull ups,
          Anymore?
          Anything that strengthens the core, if you already have a strong core, use HEAVY weight training focused totally on the core and stretch really good after, flexibility and weights are the key my friend...

Comment

Lmfao at someone supposedly having 84 am fights and not being able to do 20 push ups

Comment

I'd say you need a good plyometric routine that simulates the functionality of boxing. Part of power is natural of course, but the other part is the ability to harness it. You need intensity, you need explosiveness; these are the keys in creating artificial power. You'd be surprised at the amount of top amateurs who still have never learned to explode with their punches.

There are specific techniques that cater specifically to adding explosiveness to your punches, but you also need a well rounded set of exercises. There's an endless list of exercises you can do, and I've seen people get really creative.

Medicine balls (rubber or soft), slam balls, sleds, cone work, resistance bands, etc, are all great tools and you should make full use of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Last Round Baby View Post
                Lmfao at someone supposedly having 84 am fights and not being able to do 20 push ups
                I'm talking proper form. All the way down, looking forward, and all the way up. And no I was selling myself short, I can do 50, but I should be able to do more and that's what I'm working. P.s how many do u think james toney can do? So shut up idiot. Like I told the other guy I can DM and back up everything, can you?

Comment

Originally posted by BG_Knocc_Out View Post
                  I'd say you need a good plyometric routine that simulates the functionality of boxing. Part of power is natural of course, but the other part is the ability to harness it. You need intensity, you need explosiveness; these are the keys in creating artificial power. You'd be surprised at the amount of top amateurs who still have never learned to explode with their punches.

There are specific techniques that cater specifically to adding explosiveness to your punches, but you also need a well rounded set of exercises. There's an endless list of exercises you can do, and I've seen people get really creative.

Medicine balls (rubber or soft), slam balls, sleds, cone work, resistance bands, etc, are all great tools and you should make full use of them.
                  Thank you very much for your helpful response and every other person who has posted here. I'm going to work less on my skill and conditioning as they are very good and more so on my strength work now. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by ironalex View Post
                    I'm talking proper form. All the way down, looking forward, and all the way up. And no I was selling myself short, I can do 50, but I should be able to do more and that's what I'm working. P.s how many do u think james toney can do? So shut up idiot. Like I told the other guy I can DM and back up everything, can you?
                    okay well why wouldnt you just say that from the start? lol. and wtf does james toney have to do with anything? just cause he's my avatar do u think that insults me or something? hahaha

and well I'm no great fighter but i competed from 13-17 and had 20 fights. haven't competed in 5 years. not that thats relevant to anything either though.

Comment

Originally posted by Last Round Baby View Post
                      okay well why wouldnt you just say that from the start? lol. and wtf does james toney have to do with anything? just cause he's my avatar do u think that insults me or something? hahaha

and well I'm no great fighter but i competed from 13-17 and had 20 fights. haven't competed in 5 years. not that thats relevant to anything either though.
                      Haha I can't see avatars on here as they don't show on my mobile. It was just a point that push ups doesn't = how well you can fight etc. I.e navy seals can out push up many great fighters ten fold probably

Comment

Working...
                      X