No announcement yet.

this could be game of the DECADE!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dirt E Gomez View Post
    I believe it with my entire soul. 10 and 12 sucked ass. Words can't describe the ass suckiness.

The problem is; people are blind to the truth. Any game that has a lot of production value is assimilated by the masses and claimed to be awesome. People thought Assassin's Creed 2 was some awesome game; people are stupid.

Are they terrible games? No, but they're games I'd never play a 2nd time.
    I didn't like 10 but I enjoyed 12 but the general consesus was that it was a great game. It might not be to your personal tastes but that doesn't mean it wasn't a great game.

Have you ever played Valkyria Chronicles? It was incredible Demon's Souls was another one I played through that game atleast 3 times. Final Fantasy 13 was disappointing, I played it once through and it was good but not great.

I was a vehement believer that Assassins Creed 1 was one of the worst games I played this generation, I really enjoyed the second game. It wasn't great but it was a hell of alot more enjoyable than the first one. This is coming from a guy who didn't enjoy FF7 or FF10, the only PS1 JRPG I thought was really great was Vagrant Story. So it's all objective. If you play Demon's Souls or Valkyria Chronicles it proves that the JRPG genre HAS evolved if you look hard enough and the FF13 battle system was a step in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryn0 View Post
      Have you ever played Valkyria Chronicles? It was incredible Demon's Souls was another one I played through that game atleast 3 times. Final Fantasy 13 was disappointing, I played it once through and it was good but not great.
      I don't own a ps3. However, I played the demo months ago and thought it seemed moderately interesting. My friend purchased it and I later played a little and found it lacking.

This is coming from a guy who didn't enjoy FF7 or FF10, the only PS1 JRPG I thought was really great was Vagrant Story. So it's all objective. If you play Demon's Souls or Valkyria Chronicles it proves that the JRPG genre HAS evolved if you look hard enough and the FF13 battle system was a step in the right direction.
      I'm not just suggesting new battle systems. The genre needs to reinvent itself. It's business as usual; and has been for like 2 and a half decades. I have no idea how they'd go about doing it; but trying out different combat combat systems doesn't cut it since so much of the games are rehashed, uninteresting, similar setting, with nothing new to the table that makes them worth playing.

Playstation and Super Nintendo were the kings of JRPG's. Super Nintendo has a higher nostolgic factor that's hard to gauge who good some of the games are actually (obviously some are the best ever made with Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, FFVI, etc).

But, as I've said before: Western Style RPG's are basically better in every way. Fallout 2/3, Morrowind/Oblivion, Mass Effect 1/2, KotoR, etc...

Comment

I don't own a ps3. However, I played the demo months ago and thought it seemed moderately interesting. My friend purchased it and I later played a little and found it lacking.

I'm not just suggesting new battle systems. The genre needs to reinvent itself. It's business as usual; and has been for like 2 and a half decades. I have no idea how they'd go about doing it; but trying out different combat combat systems doesn't cut it since so much of the games are rehashed, uninteresting, similar setting, with nothing new to the table that makes them worth playing.

Playstation and Super Nintendo were the kings of JRPG's. Super Nintendo has a higher nostolgic factor that's hard to gauge who good some of the games are actually (obviously some are the best ever made with Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, FFVI, etc).

But, as I've said before: Western Style RPG's are basically better in every way. Fallout 2/3, Morrowind/Oblivion, Mass Effect 1/2, KotoR, etc...
        Demon's Soul did reinvent JRPG gaming, it was real time kind of like a third person action game really with RPG element like Oblivion.

Except it had a HUGE difficulty curve, Valkyria Chronicles is a game you have to play from start to finish. It's turn based kind of like Advance Wars except you move in real time when it's your turn then your opponent makes their move etc. You have to invest.

I own both a PS3 and 360, I own KOTOR 1 and 2, Mass Effect 1+ 2, Oblivion (never got to play Morrowwind) wasn't a huge Fallout 3 fan, not the same way I sunk hours into Oblivion but I sunk just as many hours into Oblivion as I did in Demon's Souls. Valkyria Chronicles and Demon's Souls are JRPGs that innovated introduced new things the online features in DS were unlike anything in gaming right now (if you haven't already seen it then it's essentially a lifeline if you die in a world you can enter another persons world as a phantom with 3/4 health if you help the other person complete the world you can keep the souls you earnt and continue in your world OR you can choose to invade another persons world as a black phantom and if you kill the person in the world you invaded they are sent either to die or reappear as a phantom)

I said FF13 battle system was a step in the right direction they need to apply that same focus to the game world. The battle system was great personally. But I think its shows where the genre is headed and that same focus if done right shows the JRPG genre isn't dead.

Comment

There hasn't been a good JRPG since Playstation 1. Genre is dead.

Nevermind: It's softcore ****. Expect every nerd (read all) with a ps3 to buy a copy and fap to.
          I wouldn't say the genre is dead, it is trying to evolve due to technological advances. The problem is that the focus is now on the graphics and less on the gameplay. I mean Final Fantasy VII was great because there was a HUGE variety in gameplay, bike chase scene was brilliant, a subquest where you had to dress up as a drag, snow board, submarine battle.

I'll even go back a bit and talk about great JRPGs like Final Fantasy VI, and Chrono Trigger. They won't have as much of a variety of gameplay compared with FFVII, but they had a certain magic, the storyline of CT still ranks as one of the best today, beating out I dare say FFX, FFXII and FFXIII. I will also move away from SquareEnix games and talk about Tales of Phantasia, the Tales of Series is very underappreciated IMO, the storyline isn't on the same caliber as Final Fantasy, but the gameplay is great and full of variety, and I'm talking about Tales of Eternia.

Now, I just finished Final Fantasy XIII last week, yep the insanely linear gameplay save Chapter 11 really put me off, I was finishing the game for the sake of finishing it. The sidequest was just really, find a stone, find the target, kill the target... for 64 quests full of repetitve exploring and battle. The only other subgame I could think of in FFXIII was to drive a Dreadnaught. No variety in gameplay, the storyline is good, though again not the caliber of FFVII.

I'll even use Xenosaga games, the storyline is apparently one of the most complex storylines ever concieved for a JRPG. But the gameplay is boring as ****! Walk, kill, walk some more, kill.

I hear the only good JRPG now atm is Demon Souls, which I have and will be playing, I'll probably post something when I do play it, but now I am playing Yakuza 3 on PS3, and that game is filled with variety!

Comment

Originally posted by ??? View Post
            I downloaded the demo, very good.
            Very good you say?

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Champ View Post
              Very good you say?
              World cup demo that is....not the game Earl-Hickey was talkling about

Comment

Looks like a good game

the idea of finding a wife having a kid then playing through the game as the kid sounds interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Fearless View Post

I'll even use Xenosaga games, the storyline is apparently one of the most complex storylines ever concieved for a JRPG. But the gameplay is boring as ****! Walk, kill, walk some more, kill.
                  I tried to play it for the first time in a looooong time a few months ago. It has absolutely no lasting appeal. It was a great game the first time I played it; but this time (it has been years since the first time I beat it) it simply didn't age well at all.

Comment

I'm 22 hours into Final Fantasy 8. :wank:

I used to be a ****** though, seriously. Didn't know how to junction and used GFs all the time.

Comment

I can't find any of the FF characters likable since FFX and FFX-2.

Comment

Working...
                      X