No announcement yet.

Questions For Boss ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY After The Dawson-BHOP Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tmann400 View Post
    Hey John thanks for coming on here and taking the time to answer questions very much appreciated. I have full respect for Dawson as a fighter, and believe he IS indeed one of the elite talents. I just got a couple questions, how do you prepare to deal with someone like Hopkins, who is a great ring general and can maintain distance very well with subtle feints, footwork etc etc. Also how would you of handled, and told Chad to do if a pattern emerged where Dawson couldn't get his jab going, and Hopkins was pot shotting him, stealing rounds so to speak? Just curious. My quick input on this fight as a hopkins and Dawson fan is that this fight if it were to of finished, would of been a long indecisive full 12 round fight, because of the style contrast. Dawson would of been srtuggling to find the range and distance for his jab, therefor wouldn't really be able to get off any combinations. Just my take, thanks John, ikf you could get back to me on these questions, it'd be very appreciated.
    Hey, T, my thing is this...Hops does all that good stuff, etc etc, yes...BUT Chad Dawson with his range, skills, etc etc gives him a look that offsets a lot of that stuff...I doubt Hops could ever "pot shot" Chad as a result...Chad has reflexes, skills, smarts etc that wouldnt see him get shotted...as far as the jab goes, I can only say that a jab doesnt have to actually land to be effective...as long as the motion forces ur opponent to deal with it then its a success in my eyes...Id dare say Hopkins would struggle with the style more than Chad would...and would be forced to do things he wouldnt normally do and certainly wouldnt WANT TO DO...I was very confident going into that fight and nothing I saw in those first two rounds had me rethinking that mindset...TBH...

Comment

Originally posted by Sybian View Post
      ICEMAN how many days or weeks before a fight should a boxer stop having sex?

what about jacking off? should it be prohibited too when in training?
      Jacking off is never prohibited unless you're wanking over your opponent's photo.
      Last edited by led; 11-08-2011, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Thanks Iceman for the answers, appreciated. And i agree with what you said about the jab, it really doesn't have to land if it's maintaining the distance between the two fighters and it's making the fighter on the receiving end react to the motion of the jab, I wasn't notioning that the questions I asked were taking place in the fight, I mean it only went two rounds. I was just hypothetically asking what you'd say and do if chad's jab wasn't having any effect on hopkins. I'm a big B-hop fan, but I know he gets rough in there. But one thing I will say is that people simply think the reason why he ducks his head and charges after shooting the straight right is to headbutt his opponent, to me, that's not the case. He does it to nullify counter punches from his opponents, mainly the uppercut, which ironically is one of Chad's best punches, hence Hopkins' doing it so early on, he was attempting to keep Chad off his rythm by lunging in with his punches opposed to how he fought Pascal. What I was saying is, is that due to the awkward style of Bernard it was going to be hard for Chad to put his athleticism and skills to work. And it would of became an indecisive fight. With neither of them really taking full control of the fight. I could be wrong. Just my take.

Comment

I think once the fight settled in he was going to get ripped with shots, personally...and remember, people talk about Hops lik ehe is a genius etc...great fighter, sure...but hes not MAYWEATHER, he is far from ubeatable or untouchable..Mayweather made some great fighters look average...Hopkins generally has tough fights, win or lose...and he's lost three times in the last several years...I just dont feel Hops is nearly as hard to deal with as some other fighers...

Comment

Originally posted by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY View Post
            I think once the fight settled in he was going to get ripped with shots, personally...and remember, people talk about Hops lik ehe is a genius etc...great fighter, sure...but hes not MAYWEATHER, he is far from ubeatable or untouchable..Mayweather made some great fighters look average...Hopkins generally has tough fights, win or lose...and he's lost three times in the last several years...I just dont feel Hops is nearly as hard to deal with as some other fighers...
            well yeah at age 46 he's slowed down quite a bit. In his prime though he made just about everyone look average.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
              well yeah at age 46 he's slowed down quite a bit. In his prime though he made just about everyone look average.
              Ill go with that (except RJ of course

Comment

Originally posted by Sybian View Post
                ICEMAN how many days or weeks before a fight should a boxer stop having sex?

what about jacking off? should it be prohibited too when in training?

buuuuuump!!!!

Comment

I think its very much a mental game, really...if u think it bothers u it can DESTROY YOU...but I know a former two time world champion, a very exciting fighter, who told me he used to have sex right up until the day before the fight sometimes and that the day before his best showing in over 50 fights he had sex...so it depends on the person and the mental strength they possess...

Comment

This is a really good point. In recent years Hopkins has only looked really dominant against a very one dimensional opponent (Pavlik) and in most other fights he's been taken into a much closer contest. I would love to have seen how this would have played out, if Dawson really was going to be more aggressive and how Bhop would have dealt with it...

Will we see rematch any time soon?

Comment

I think its very much a mental game, really...if u think it bothers u it can DESTROY YOU...but I know a former two time world champion, a very exciting fighter, who told me he used to have sex right up until the day before the fight sometimes and that the day before his best showing in over 50 fights he had sex...so it depends on the person and the mental strength they possess...
                      hmmmmmm. is this fighter u? if not do u follow the tradition of no sex?

Comment

Working...
                      X