No announcement yet.

Central American and Caribbean Games

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central American and Caribbean Games

Don't know if you guys are checking it out but they are being held in Puerto Rico this year and it's basically all the Central American and Caribbean nations.

Some one posted something the other day trying to disrespect Mexico in sports, well Mexico is leading all nations in medal counts and it isn't even close.

Venezuela is second and I think Colombia and Dominican Republic are in there in 3rd and 4th.

http://www.mayaguez2010.com/en.html

Mexico being frontrunner in Jai-Alai as well, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by GOAT86 View Post
      Mexico being frontrunner in Jai-Alai as well, I guess.
      Hahaha, yea there are some weird ones in there but I have never heard of them until this year and it's supposedly in their 20th year.

Comment

Is the Dominican Republic holding the first place in boxing. Second place is Mexico.

Comment

Actually, we lead DR by four gold medals, and we lead in boxing, having 7 fighters going for gold between tomorrow and saturday. No question who the champ per capita is.

Comment

Originally posted by Tu Pai View Post
            Actually, we lead DR by four gold medals, and we lead in boxing, having 7 fighters going for gold between tomorrow and saturday. No question who the champ per capita is.
            In defense of Mexico though, Mexico never does well in amateur competition.......ever.

The reason is because all the best Mexican fighters turn pro and don't bother with the amateur game. The main reason is because they are hungry and need to eat and make money, most of them can't afford to have a lengthy amateur career because they really can't afford to waste that time.
            PR, Cuban, DR always do better than Mexico in the amateur ranks, I'm not surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
              In defense of Mexico though, Mexico never does well in amateur competition.......ever.

The reason is because all the best Mexican fighters turn pro and don't bother with the amateur game. The main reason is because they are hungry and need to eat and make money, most of them can't afford to have a lengthy amateur career because they really can't afford to waste that time.
              PR, Cuban, DR always do better than Mexico in the amateur ranks, I'm not surprised.
              That was the case for Margarito, he turned pro at 17 with little amateur experience. He was struggling to support his family, which is why he turned pro so early.

Comment

Originally posted by Underboss View Post
                That was the case for Margarito, he turned pro at 17 with little amateur experience. He was struggling to support his family, which is why he turned pro so early.
                Yea it happens with most good Mexican boxers. Think about someone like Abner Mares or Saul Alvarez, they understood making money was more important to having a long lasting amateur career.

I also think that's a major disadvantage to Mexican pro boxers as well because time in the amateurs can only help your craft, as long as you don't spend your whole adult time in it like Cuban fighters do.

Guys like JCC were fighting literally for food when they weren't even 20 years old in Mexico.

Comment

Originally posted by Underboss View Post
                  actually he turned pro at 15

Comment

mexico vs puerto rico for the gold in basketball, where can i watch that game?

Comment

Working...
                    X