Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can anyone defend Hopkins in the “who ducked who” wars for Roy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pturtle View Post
    You keep saying something about a business stand point but what if it wasn’t that? I’m sure if Roy was just giving him 40 percent but no revenue and no ppv that would have been leaked by not by Hopkins. I can see your one of those Philly fanboys. Did Hopkins get 50/50 vs Trinidad? Or How about De La Hoya?
    He took those fights though.To me I also think those 2 men were solid wins for him smaller men or not but his reasoning for not fighting Roy as far we understand is a bit shaky.
    Philly fanboy?..lol...you ask secondzout, or some of the cats here, about how bad i s*** on hopkins....but keeping it real is keeping it real...

this is ****ing prizefighting, and it was smart business for bernard hopkins to take less than half with either de la hoya and trinidad...know why?...he stood to make far more millions than a 60-40 with roy jones for what would have been peanuts, in a winning or losing situation, after it is all said and done...the history shows us he wasn't scared to get in the ring a second time with roy jones, so what the hell else could it be about? the money...it damn sure was about the money with roy jones, or he wouldn't have played that trump card so hard...i don't know why this is so difficult to comprehend man...

Comment

• Originally posted by THE ИATAS View Post
      that's what I said earlier, hopkins said when he received the contract it was way less than 60/40, so without u or anyone else on here seeing or knowing what was in the contract makes the arguement pointless.
      Your right about that, but if it was 60/40 then thats fair but your right we won’t know for sure but then shouldn’t we stop debating about every time a boxer chooses to not fight another fighter for whatever reason? Would make things on here boring lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by djtmal View Post
        Philly fanboy?..lol...you ask secondzout, or some of the cats here, about how bad i s*** on hopkins....but keeping it real is keeping it real...

this is ****ing prizefighting, and it was smart business for bernard hopkins to take less than half with either de la hoya and trinidad...know why?...he stood to make far more millions than a 60-40 with roy jones for what would have been peanuts, in a winning or losing situation, after it is all said and done...the history shows us he wasn't scared to get in the ring a second time with roy jones, so what the hell else could it be about? the money...it damn sure was about the money with roy jones, or he wouldn't have played that trump card so hard...i don't know why this is so difficult to comprehend man...
        See these are the things that don’t make sense, was he smart not fighting Roy I think so, because he most likely would have got beat, but to talk about him being brave enough to fight Roy in 2010 is crazy of you to bring up. It really is…Hopkins himself said Roy Jones in his prime was like the Michael Jordan of boxing, then said he would beat the present Roy because that Roy doesn’t have his legs anymore. Get real man. He also decided to fight Winky Wright over Roy in like 2006 I believe. He wanted no part of Roy until he was sure Roy was done. Thats the way I see it otherwise that fight would have been made when he had no options and millions were on the line

Comment

Your right about that, but if it was 60/40 then thats fair but your right we won’t know for sure but then shouldn’t we stop debating about every time a boxer chooses to not fight another fighter for whatever reason? Would make things on here boring lol.
          well, it was a hot topic, maybe five, six years ago, now, the point is moot...

giving both these guys history, now they are both over the hill, 60-40 was fair for roy jones and his fans, but not for bernard hopkins, whether you are a fan of his or not...me, i just like to see good fights...

after debating this mess all day, i bet if ya ask bernard hopkins right now, if he regrets taking a 60-40 split with roy jones in 2002, the answer probably would be no...lol

Comment

well, it was a hot topic, maybe five, six years ago, now, the point is moot...

giving both these guys history, now they are both over the hill, 60-40 was fair for roy jones and his fans, but not for bernard hopkins, whether you are a fan of his or not...me, i just like to see good fights...

after debating this mess all day, i bet if ya ask bernard hopkins right now, if he regrets taking a 60-40 split with roy jones in 2002, the answer probably would be no...lol
            Of course not it probably would have prevented the great career he did have. I never said it wasn’t smart he didn’t take the fight, but that he got a very reasonably offer and decided to not take it especially when he did the calling out. But yea I argued with you guys all day, good debating guys but I’m off too bed
            Last edited by pturtle; 09-30-2012, 09:54 PM.

Comment

See these are the things that don’t make sense, was he smart not fighting Roy I think so, because he most likely would have got beat, but to talk about him being brave enough to fight Roy in 2010 is crazy of you to bring up. It really is…Hopkins himself said Roy Jones in his prime was like the Michael Jordan of boxing, then said he would beat the present Roy because that Roy doesn’t have his legs anymore. Get real man. He also decided to fight Winky Wright over Roy in like 2006 I believe. He wanted no part of Roy until he was sure Roy was done. Thats the way I see it otherwise that fight would have been made when he had no options and millions were on the line
              again, i looked at it that way in 2001 as well, but now different..
              by 2001-02, roy jones was a full fledged lightheavy, but was in cruise control, on the top of his game, but fighting less than stellar opposition, and bernard hopkins, without getting into my old debates with my nemesis's, was a big middleweight...meeting at a catchweight would have been 168...i'd say it would have been a pick 'em fight...

Comment

again, i looked at it that way in 2001 as well, but now different..
                by 2001-02, roy jones was a full fledged lightheavy, but was in cruise control, on the top of his game, but fighting less than stellar opposition, and bernard hopkins, without getting into my old debates with my nemesis's, was a big middleweight...meeting at a catchweight would have been 168...i'd say it would have been a pick 'em fight...
                I don’t know, a blown up Oscar was doing okay against Hopkins around that time. I think Roy would have dominated Hopkins similar to 93.

Different strokes for different folks I guess

Comment

I don’t know, a blown up Oscar was doing okay against Hopkins around that time. I think Roy would have dominated Hopkins similar to 93.

Different strokes for different folks I guess
                  tough to say. hopkins was at his absolute peak at that time and was a far better fighter than the guys Jones was fighting at the time. definitely don't see a blow out either way, probably would be very tactical but we'll never know

Comment

• Originally posted by THE ИATAS View Post
                    yeah, a lot of people act like this was a pac-floyd type of fight. As weird as it may seem to us hardcore fans it wasn't a huge money fight, even at it's peak.
                    Well the fight wasn't for the pride of a nation either. Hop and Jones being two Americans that had already fought once before in a not so pleasing style.

On the flip side Pac has an entire hopeful country depending on him. As for Mayweather, both Hopkins and Jones have more fans than Mayweather. lol

Comment

• Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post
                      There were more circumstances than just the split. Hopkins was promoting himself at the time and couldn't get decent opponents anywhere except on whatever promoter's term. Did he price himself out of the Roy fight? Perhaps, but really BHop couldn't get a fight to save his life because he was managing himself at the time, his style isn't particularly crowd pleasing, and he would beat your guy.

It wasn't just a matter of pricing himself out so much as every major promotion wanted nothing to do with him in or out of the ring.

I would bet <1% of NSB was even watching boxing when this was all going down
                      Nah, Hopkins was promoted by King (I'm sure someone else has already pointed this out).

Comment

Working...
                      X