Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Golden Boy have the resources to make Lara a star if he dominates Canelo?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DannYankee09 View Post
    Yeap hilariously so having the most talent is not enough.
    It's complete bullcrap that it is that way.. but it is that way. If skills were to equal star power Rigo would be the hottest boxer in terms of ppv numbers, sadly it doesn't work that way.

Comment

Originally posted by sdcluser View Post
      YEah. Canelo is most def a BIG star in Mexico. Given the current large demography of Mexican Americans, he is HUGE. Maybe not Mike TYson huge.

I mean Mikey TYson probably can do 3-4 million PPV in his peak now.
      And that is LOW on the estimate. A heavyweight with a KO/Offensive capability like that.....
      I wasn't trying to say Canelo is as big as Tyson was, just pointing out that the last time I saw a boxer that commercially visible was Tyson. And, by the way, these commercials aired on American television. lol The powers-that-be view Alvarez as marketable to more than just the Mexican and Mexican-American community. I believe they're right. I like the kid myself. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Aztekkas View Post
        It's complete bullcrap that it is that way.. but it is that way. If skills were to equal star power Rigo would be the hottest boxer in terms of ppv numbers, sadly it doesn't work that way.
        Skills mean spit to the average person, bro. That's the realm of the hardcore, the starving artist. The casual fan needs a little rock and roll, a little hip hop. They don't buy jazz.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
          Skills mean spit to the average person, bro. That's the realm of the hardcore, the starving artist. The casual fan needs a little rock and roll, a little hip hop. They don't buy jazz.
          You also need boyish good looks or a complete asshole persona.Any of those helps. If I was Lara id get me some ingles sin barreras audio tapes and start learning how to curse in english at least. Let's not forget Broner was the "future " Mayweather before EVER doing anything of note other than acting like a complete jackass

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
            There are global stars like Floyd, Pacquiao and then you have local stars/draws like Ward in Oakland/California or Crawford in Omaha. Lara will never be a PPV Star (no fanbase, boxing style, personality). The real question is: could Lara draw a sizeable crowd in Miami/South Florida? In the past we've heard Bob Arum say "Cubans in Miami don't support Cuban boxers".

Crawford's style is not exactly fan-friendly, but he drew 11,000 fans in his hometown and the atmosphere was great.

Comment

Originally posted by sdcluser View Post
              It's matter of marketing. Weren't ppl complaining that "Mayweather style is boring?". That is the same **** excuse that has put on Rigo. It's bull.
              He isn't that far fetched in stating this. Marketing is successful in boxing when you have a large demographic fan base to support you. Lara doesn't have this nor a fan friendly style that would please the masses.

Comment

Resources? Like human resources? They could pay people to like him. Good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by DannYankee09 View Post
                  You also need boyish good looks or a complete asshole persona.Any of those helps. If I was Lara id get me some ingles sin barreras audio tapes and start learning how to curse in english at least. Let's not forget Broner was the "future " Mayweather before EVER doing anything of note other than acting like a complete jackass
                  If I were Lara, I'd start banging some of these reality show whores and gossip site sluts, and talk an obscene amount of ****. He'd sure sell then. lol

Comment

Anybody who is winning can be made a star; promoters are just to lazy to go out and do it. if you don't have a huge built in fan base like mexicans they figure what is the point.

Comment

It's hard to make stars of fighters who don't attempt to learn English. But Lara might considering he's "The American Dream."

Comment

Working...
                      X